Originally posted by grunter
Clearly, they saw me coming.

It's alright.

It's my lot in life to suffer.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=256706
Old 12-10-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I didn't like it that much. It didn't seem like anything was resolved, except for Uncle Junior's trial. I like a cliffhanger ending, and it really left me not caring if they come back for another season.
Old 12-11-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by johnglass
I don't know if anyone caught NBC late last night with Brian Williams. He interviewed Joe Pantoliano and, um, well I won't even try to spell the actors name that plays Furio.

When Joe was describing his murder at the hands of Tony, he said something to the effect that "he killed me for burning a horse that he extorted from me, and I didn't even do it!". Don't know if this is a revelation or not, but it's the first I've heard someone confirm that Ralphie did not kill the horse.

Back on topic- during the scene in this episode with Christopher doing pushups and Adriana is drinking wine, there is an executive from NBC on the television set behind them. I don't know his name, but this is the guy that was complaining that the Sopranos was receiving such high accolades and it was unfair to compare it to network shows because HBO could do things that the networks couldn't (violence, nudity, actually put out a decent television show, etc.). I guess David Chase was poking a little fun at this guy by putting him in the season finale.
I think it's more likely that Joe was playfully defending Ralphie "in character".
Old 12-11-02, 08:40 AM
razorbackfan

Originally posted by slop101
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, or anything. Your ending just goes against the characters and everything they've been building up towards. And it just smacks of gangster cliches that the show's trying to move away from.
Gee sorry. I will keep my opinions to myself then. Sorry to tread on your image of the "nice" east coast gangster. Maybe they can all get together for a bake-off next season.
Old 12-11-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones17
I like a cliffhanger ending, and it really left me not caring if they come back for another season.
sopranos has never ever has a cliffhanger finale to a season
Old 12-11-02, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Cable was out on Sunday, so I didn't get to see this until last night. Put me down in the "loved it" camp. From the begining, this show has been about a man with two families, and in this episode, one of them exploded. It was tantamount to Silvio taking Paulie and Christopher and starting a rival family. Explosive stuff, and I definitely feel that I got my money's worth.

That said, I am a bit disappointed that the mob informant stories (Adrianna, of course, and don't forget Ray Curto's been wearing a wire at least since Livia's funeral) haven't really gone anywhere. How much evidence do they need to gather, anyway?

Those of you who like the mob violence might want to prepare yourself for a boring fifth season because
Spoiler:
Lorrain Bracco
has already said that season five will be about
Spoiler:
Tony and Melfi in the same way season four was about Tony and Carmela.
Old 12-11-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by JasonFliegel
I am a bit disappointed that the mob informant stories (Adrianna, of course, and don't forget Ray Curto's been wearing a wire at least since Livia's funeral) haven't really gone anywhere. How much evidence do they need to gather, anyway?spoiler]
p*ssy wore a wire for years before anything ever really came of it... this stuff isn't instantaneous
Old 12-11-02, 10:36 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,3...insits,00.html
A Tale of Two Zitis

''Sopranos'' finale wins its timeslot. Some 12.5 million viewers tuned in to watch Carmela boot Tony, one of the highest audiences ever for HBO by Gary Susman

Even if you're among those who thought this season of ''The Sopranos'' lacked the old fire, you still turned in to Sunday's finale to watch Carmela kick Tony to the curb. At least, that's what the Nielsen numbers show. The season finale was the most-watched program in its timeslot on any channel, broadcast or cable. It drew 12.5 million viewers, marking the second-largest audience in HBO history. The largest? The 13.4 million who watched the ''Sopranos'' season premiere in September.

Overall, Variety reports, the 13-episode season drew an average of 11 million viewers, up from 9 million for season 3, which aired during the less competitive springtime months in 2001. Numbers like that continue to spark talk that the show would continue beyond next fall's fifth season, which creator David Chase has said will be the show's last. However, the Associated Press reports, HBO declined to comment Tuesday on the program's future.
Old 12-11-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think a big reason for this season having 2 million more viewers than season 3 was because of the release of the dvd/vhs release.

season 1 dvd/vhs was released after season 2 had begun airing.. and season 2 was released after season 3 had begun airing...

so anyone that wanted to jump on the bandwagon and start with season 1, couldn't start watching it on tv then they were done with the dvd/vhs...

but season 3 dvd/vhs came out before season 4 aired. so people were able to get all caught up and watch season 4 on tv.

that's actually what i did. season 4 was the first one i actually saw on tv as it happened.
Old 12-11-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
sopranos has never ever has a cliffhanger finale to a season
I never said it did. However, I like shows to end a season that way, b/c it keeps me hyped up for the next season.
Old 12-15-02, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the great things about the Sopranos is that it's difficult to predict what happens. For example, we all knew Ralphie would eventually get killed, but I predicted it would happen much sooner. He really should have gotten whacked after he killed that stripper, Tracy. The fact that we can't predict how and when things will take place, adds to the charm of this show. To me the violence can really become seondondary to the interaction between the characters--it really is all about the fact that we are interested in what happens to the characters. That stems from brilliant writing, and most of all, acting. Character development is so well done in the show that we've come to discuss these people like they were actually living. The scenes between Tony and Carmella were absolutely riveting, and I really didn't see the blowout coming. It's another case of something that could have happened long ago.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode--I download it weekly to see it over here in Germany. Can't wait until next season!