Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sopranos 12/08/02 - "Whitecaps" - Season Finale

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geofferson
Because the kids almost found out. Carm does not want AJ and Meadow to find that out about their dad and she put up with it as long as that didn't happen. However, all that changed once AJ answered the phone.
This was the one part of the episode that rang a little bit hollow for me. AJ had no idea what was going on. In fact, during this season, he's become so dumb that he probably wouldn't be able to figure it out unless he actually caught his dad in the act. Plus, I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time the crazy Russian has called the house...
Old 12-08-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope they whack AJ and Meadow next season.<---- Sarcasm. They don't matter at all in the show, although those $100,000 an episode performances amaze me.
Old 12-08-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Am I the only one who thought Junior had Bobby whacked when he went to make the pickup? I thought that was the hitman that walked past the window. It seems logical because Junior is a cold-hearted bastard who would be more than willing to take out someone close to him to erase the jury-tampering trail.
Old 12-08-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
I saw it more as he just wanted Bobby away from Janice. He knows what Janice is, and I think he is pissed that Bobby got involved with her.
Old 12-08-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts
Regarding Carmella:

This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

There were a lot of things going on there.

She's having her own mid-life crisis. Her eye is wandering toward Furio. She's jealous of her daughter.

Carmella always knew that Tony fooled around, but would never call him on it. It wasn't until it was thrown into her face that she made an issue out of it.

It's been my experience (well, from people I've known, anyway) that women like Carmella -- women who don't work outside of the home and are supported by their husbands -- won't make an issue out of infidelity until the man starts bringing the women into "their space" (could be the home, hangouts, or around her friends) or until the "other woman" confronts them. And at point, lawyers get involved.
Old 12-08-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Melfi was right, Tony would never leave Carm, but Carm would leave Tony.
Old 12-08-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The finale fit the season perfectly.
Old 12-08-02, 11:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Apparently I'm the only one that thought tonight's "Finale" was weak and boring. This entire season has been a letdown for me. I really hope next season is better, because due to this season, the show has lost it's charm for me. "

Your not alone. If the season finale would have just been a regular episode it would have just sucked but since it was the season finale it gets a rating of horrible and is about as bad an episode as I have seen. As for the season it sucked in general and I would have been just as happy to have not seen them and kept the money I spent on HBO.

And this seaons was nothing like the godfather films. One because the godfather films were good and two even thought the godfathers didn't have a ton of murders and kill scenes there was always the threat of violence and if you did go against the family then you got taken out. All this season had was a bunch of cancelled hits and nothing went anywhere.

I mean that is how furio leaves? He just dissapears? Yes he can come back but they don't even give us a hint of anymore to come?

What I am suppose to think about and ponder over till next season. The possible break up of Tony and Carm? Who cares? Or are we suppose to wonder about what Adrianna is going to do with the feds? She doesn't know anything.

I love this show and so I go a bit more easy on it then someone who isn't a die hard fan so I am being a bit easy on the show when I say that this season just sucked. I have absolutly no interest in watching any of these episodes again. I will just go back to the snow episode or the one where the soccer coach messes with the kids. Episodes where interesting stuff happened.
Old 12-09-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't care if the plot is advanced as much as people want it to be, when you get such ridiculously good performances as we got from Gandolfini and Falco. They nailed divorce PERFECTLY. That was unbelievable writing and acting. I was just mesmerized by their performances, and didn't want the episode to end. I really watch this show for the characters, and the plot is secondary to me. I feel that there doesn't have to be any big event going on as long as they have that inner turmoil. Of course the plot is important, but I don't judge the Sopranos by what big whacking has occurred, but by how riveted I was while watching.
Old 12-09-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the last two episodes were definitely strong

this one was great except for a stupid and pointless last scene.

we finally got what David Chase said at the start of this season......that Season 4 would be about
Tony and Carmela's marriage.

they really wasted about the last quarter of the season with Christopher.......he basically did nothing

also, i guess the people that thought the last 2 episodes were weak just can't take the characters "talking" without all
the blood and violence.

i just don't get it i guess

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 12-09-02 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-09-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
I really don't care if the plot is advanced as much as people want it to be, when you get such ridiculously good performances as we got from Gandolfini and Falco. They nailed divorce PERFECTLY. That was unbelievable writing and acting. I was just mesmerized by their performances, and didn't want the episode to end. I really watch this show for the characters, and the plot is secondary to me. I feel that there doesn't have to be any big event going on as long as they have that inner turmoil. Of course the plot is important, but I don't judge the Sopranos by what big whacking has occurred, but by how riveted I was while watching.

that was a very very good episode...perhaps not comparatively (soprano's comparatively anyway) great...but some of the most compelling tv you'll see nonetheless. I found myself genuinely saddened at the end....heavy stuff was going on, and in my mind fits perfectly with what made this show so brilliant from the beginning - that is: we get to see what everyday life is for a mob boss - which is to say it's not a lot different from a whole lot of other every day lives. Absolutely incredible television, and heartwrendingly perfect acting on the parts of Falco and Gandolfini. I can't wait for next year...it promises to be amazing.....
Old 12-09-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Well, I realize this isn't saying much - but even though this was the weakest of the seasons, it's still was so much better than most of what's on TV. Tonight's episode had some of the best acting (itense, volataile, and always believable) of the entire series.
agreed!!! Id rather watch a bad sopranos episode than any "must see" tv on the regular networks!!!
Old 12-09-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts
That was all that happened? Glad I didn't go through the trouble of trying to tape it. Don't get me wrong, I love good acting, but I always look for season finales to pack a major punch, this one doesn't seem to have done that job.

That heard, I think I will definitely wait until Season Four hits the used shelves before I buy it.

On a side note, was there any song to end the season along the lines of what they used at the end of Season Two with "Thru and Thru" by the Rolling Stones? I thought that was an exceptional moment not just for The Sopranos, but for filmmaking in general.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 12-09-02 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-09-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
All this season had was a bunch of cancelled hits and nothing went anywhere.
Bingo. This was the "season of the narrow escape," pure and simple. And the funny thing about narrow escapes... they tend to lose their excitement after a while.

What a waste of a season.
Old 12-09-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suppose I've become accustomed to "oh, sh*t" moments, thanks to "24", so I was a little let down.

This did seem like a bridge to a lot more events next season though.

Either way I'm still a fan.
Old 12-09-02, 09:07 AM

The only thing that disappoints me about this season was how long they had to write it. Twice as long as the other seasons, and it just seemed like most of the episodes were incomplete. I hope they forget about making a full length movie and tie up all the loose ends over season five, instead of dragging them out and tying them up in a 2-2 1/2 movie.
Old 12-09-02, 09:22 AM
razorbackfan

A better ending:

Tony hanging up his cell phone, looking very mean, throwing the phone across the room.

Furio sitting on a lawn chair in front of his home in Italy, drinking a glass of wine with two men walking up behind him reaching into their wastebands.

Long shot of Air Italia jet, zoom in to window and close up of Carmela looking out the window.
Old 12-09-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by waporvare
I suppose I've become accustomed to "oh, sh*t" moments, thanks to "24", so I was a little let down.
Sopranos has never ever ended a season with a cliffhanger

1 ended with tony and family eating at artie's restaurant to escape the rain

2 ended with a character montage (i think)

3 ended with uncle junior singing at jackie's funeral

point being, the season finale has always been 'just another episode'
Old 12-09-02, 09:29 AM

I think this season was just decent, not the jaw-dropping intense Sopranos that we're used to. The acting was definitely improved, Falco and Gandolfini were amazing, especially last night. I think it is true about Chase extending the 4th season (originally the last) into two seasons. I was thinking this early in the season, since the first 6 episodes were really slow and just setting up future stories it seemed. Now we've finished season 4, and the finale just seemed like a regular episode, just building up to the next one.
Also, while I don't feel like we need to see a gang war every week, the killings and violence was definitely lacking this year. I don't think there was one character, not even a minor one, that got "whacked" this year. I don't count Ralphie, I'm talking about a planned hit or whatever you want to call it, a 'business decision.' Every time someone got killed, it was just a minor character that was introduced in one scene earlier in the episode. I'm not saying I want to see a capo whacked every week, but throughout the first 3 seasons it seemed like there was always some minor guy that we knew just enough to care about him getting killed. That's what kept the intensity of the show up. Now it seems like they're afraid to kill any existing characters, so they just introduce them right before they are killed. Now that I've said all this, I can almost guarantee that towards the end of teh 5th season, not necessarily the finale, Tony is gonna get whacked by someone. There's no way he survives the show, setting up for Chris to assume power kinda like the end of the Godfather.
Old 12-09-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

good episode, bad ending.

i know the sopranos seasons have never really ended with a cliffhanger, but i thought the last scene sucked. when the music hit, i knew it was gonna be the last scene, and they just dragged it out..

but like i said, i thought it was a good episode. just wish i could tune in next week to see what happens next, rather than next year. the tony & carm thing is huge. tony has always been very dependant on carm (not financially, obviously, but in many other ways), and it'll be interesting to see how he manages without her.

anyone know what that song was on tony's cell phone? just wondering if it had any significance, as it was played a LOT.

i knew tony was gonna call melfi... too bad he chickened out.

now the waiting begins.. damn, i have trouble waiting a week... this is gonna be a LONG year!
Old 12-09-02, 11:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts
The only problem I had with season 4 is that there was never any resolution to the Pine Barrens episode from Season 3 with the Russians. There were a couple mentions of them throughout this season, but nothing else. Could be that they'll pop up next season - I sure hope so.

Other than that, I have no quarrels with this season. Great television, as always.
Old 12-09-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought it was a pretty good episode. terrific acting jobs by tony and carm. my one question is what happens to carm now? honestly you dont really 'see' mob marriages breaking up, i figure its b/c they missus knows too much and would be dangerous to leave. is this so? carm does know tony better than anyone! very dangerous situation. (i know he loves her and he prob. would never whack her but...)
Old 12-09-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always assumed that the ending to Pine Barrens was that the guy didn't survive. I mean he did take a shot to the head. He would eventually bleed to death even though he took their car. He probably drove it off of a bridge.
Old 12-09-02, 12:08 PM

While I don't think this season has been as strong as the others(none have come close to season 1), it's better than anything else that's on television. Gandolfini and Falco better start writing their Emmy acceptance speeches right now. And as far as Pine Barrens goes, I just assumed since nothing was resolved this season that the interior decorator died.
Old 12-09-02, 12:11 PM
Cool New Member

So for all the people who watch the show just for the acting. What if in the finale Carmla had a baby and they found out it could talk and sitcom hilarity insued. As long as the acting is good you would have enjoyed the show? All this season consisted of were soap opera moments. A fan could have missed all this season and as long as they were told that Ralph was killed they wouldn't have missed a beat at the start of the next season. The English Patient and Out of Africa had good acting too, that still doesn't mean that the movies didn't suck.

When ever I use to hear talk about the show ending I would get bummed out and comment that I would like it too continue but after this season I really hope the show ends instead of riding off into mediocrity like it is now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.