Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Watch Charlie Rose Last Night? (Two Towers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the 2nd half of the show he had on Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood and Viggo Mortensen supposedly to talk about The Two Towers. But after a few minutes of talking to Jackson and Wood, Rose commented on Viggo's homemade t-shirt . He (Viggo) then went on for about 10-15 minutes talking about how America is wrong for bombing Afghanistan and going to war with Iraq. He then started bashing Bush saying that the reason he is going to war with Iraq is because of a vandetta his father had with Saddam.
They showed Jackson (who said nothing the entire time) for a second during Viggo's tirade and he looked like he was thinking "what the hell is this guy talking about and why is he doing it now, we are supposed to be talking about the movie The Two Towers.

Rose asked Viggo why bombing Afghanistan (and hunting down Al Qeada wasn't warranted after 9/11 and Viggo's response was "we killed more innocent people when we bombed Afghanistan than they did on 9/11, so what ?"

I really hate it when actors give us their political opinions.
Nobody cares what Viggo (or Streisand, Baldwin, Sheen...) thinks about politics. The show was supposed to be talking about the Two Towers instead he goes on there on a political mission by wearing his homeade t-shirt.

Viggo keep your mouth shut about politics and stick to acting.
You don't know what your talking about. You sounded like a complete ass last night, and you looked like one too (see photo).

Last edited by Struz; 12-04-02 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-04-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The showing was going fine until Rose decided he would rather talk about Mortensen's fashion sensibilities. What a waste of bandwidth.

If this thing is to be included on a future DVD of The Two Towers, I hope that particular segment gets cut out!
Old 12-04-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
The showing was going fine until Rose decided he would rather talk about Mortensen's fashion sensibilities. What a waste of bandwidth.

If this thing is to be included on a future DVD of The Two Towers, I hope that particular segment gets cut out!
Me too !
Old 12-04-02, 02:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Who's that woman on the far left? Charlie Rose in drag?
Old 12-04-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when does this show come on tv? or is it a radio show?
Old 12-04-02, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a perfect example of the classic Hollywood violence/war paradox. They hate war and violence, yet it is all they sell. How can someone so anti-violence like Mortonson, be in so many films that are so violent (GI Jane, LOTR, Texas Chainsaw Masacre III, A Perfect Murder, Psycho remake, Young Guns II, etc.)?

Last edited by Pants; 12-04-02 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
when does this show come on tv? or is it a radio show?
It's a TV show on PBS at 11:30 PM EST.
Old 12-04-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Pants
This is a perfect example of the classic Hollywood violence/war paradox. They hate war and violence, yet it is all they sell. How can someone so anti-violence like Mortonson, be in so many films that are so violent (GI Jane, LOTR, etc.)?
Great point !
Old 12-04-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Anyone Watch Charlie Rose Last Night? (Two Towers)

Originally posted by Struz

[FILE PHOTO]
The Evil Orc Queen, Katherine Harris, gazes hungrily at the dwarf-like director Jackson Peter, seen here with news reporter Charlie Rose, Charlie's boy Andy, and an unknown street gigolo.
Old 12-04-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This is a perfect example of the classic Hollywood violence/war paradox. They hate war and violence, yet it is all they sell. How can someone so anti-violence like Mortonson, be in so many films that are so violent (GI Jane, LOTR, Texas Chainsaw Masacre III, A Perfect Murder, Psycho remake, Young Guns II, etc.)?
Because one is fantasy and one if "real" life, if you don't realize there is a big difference than you there is a problem.

Viggo keep your mouth shut about politics and stick to acting.
You don't know what your talking about. You sounded like a complete ass last night, and you looked like one too
Well, luckily you were able to get your point across without letting any bias show through...and oh so eloquant with that last quip.
Old 12-05-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by clemente
Well, luckily you were able to get your point across without letting any bias show through...and oh so eloquant with that last quip.
Well, I would say that Struz's comments were no more biased than, and easily as eloquent as, anything Viggo had to say. Or are you implying that Struz should be expected to adhere to a different standard of conduct than Mr. Mortensen?
Old 12-05-02, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RoboDad
Well, I would say that Struz's comments were no more biased than, and easily as eloquent as, anything Viggo had to say. Or are you implying that Struz should be expected to adhere to a different standard of conduct than Mr. Mortensen?
Well Struz certainly seems to think so. He had no problem giving his unsolicited political opinions while simultaneously chastising Viggo for doing the same thing. I wonder if we would even be having this discussion if Viggo's 15 minute rant had been pro-America?
Old 12-05-02, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
Well Struz certainly seems to think so. He had no problem giving his unsolicited political opinions while simultaneously chastising Viggo for doing the same thing. I wonder if we would even be having this discussion if Viggo's 15 minute rant had been pro-America?
Where do I give my political opinion ?
I said he shouldn't give his and he acted like an ass giving it.

I said actors shouldn't go on national television and give us their political opinions during a show that supposed to be about The Two Towers.

Why don't you tell us why you think it's ok for Viggo to tell us why we shouldn't be retaliating for 9/11 instead of talking about the Two Towers during a show about the Two Towers ?
Old 12-05-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RoboDad
Of course he is.
How dare anyone question the Left ?
Old 12-05-02, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by clemente
Because one is fantasy and one if "real" life, if you don't realize there is a big difference than you there is a problem.
Yes but all of those films are about our (humans) violent nature. Our propencity to kill and our love of seeing might make right. If Mortonson feels that America's international policy is akin to colonialism, maybe he shouldn't star in a film like GI Jane that glorifies the military that makes this empirialism possible.
Old 12-05-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I wanted to see it last night but they didn't show it on my local PBS, opting instead to go off the air early.

Anyone know where I can find it?
Old 12-05-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where do I give my political opinion ?
I said he shouldn't give his and he acted like an ass giving it.

I said actors shouldn't go on national television and give us their political opinions during a show that supposed to be about The Two Towers.

Why don't you tell us why you think it's ok for Viggo to tell us why we shouldn't be retaliating for 9/11 instead of talking about the Two Towers during a show about the Two Towers ?
Because lines like this:
You don't know what your talking about. You sounded like a complete ass last night, and you looked like one too (see photo).
Make it very clear that you think his political opinion is wrong and in the process tell us what your beliefs are on this matter.

If you're trying to convince us that your only motivation for posting was to criticize actors (ANY actor, no matter the politics of his message) for speaking out of turn, then you'd be a lot more credible if you left YOUR comments on his topic out of it. At this point, it looks like your actual reason for posting was because you were upset that his opinion clashed with yours, and not just because he spoke up when he shouldn't have.
Old 12-05-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Anyone Watch Charlie Rose Last Night? (Two Towers)

, He then started bashing Bush saying that the reason he is going to war with Iraq is because of a vandetta his father had with Saddam.
Like he isn't ?
Old 12-05-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
Because lines like this:

Make it very clear that you think his political opinion is wrong and in the process tell us what your beliefs are on this matter.

If you're trying to convince us that your only motivation for posting was to criticize actors (ANY actor, no matter the politics of his message) for speaking out of turn, then you'd be a lot more credible if you left YOUR comments on his topic out of it. At this point, it looks like your actual reason for posting was because you were upset that his opinion clashed with yours, and not just because he spoke up when he shouldn't have.
It must be wonderful to know everything ?
My actual reason for posting was because another Liberal actor starting talking out of his ass about politics, like Barbara Streisand and Alec Baldwin, on a show not about politics.
If it was Crossfire or another political show I wouldn't care or watch. But it wasn't. It was a show about the Two Towers.
And he had no right to spew his political beliefs during that show !

You still haven't answered my question on wether it's ok for him to go on national tv and wear a t-shirt like that and trash our country and President when he was booked on the show to talk about the Two Towers ?

Yes or No ?

I'll assume since you won't answer that your answer is yes based on you defending him.

Did you see the show ?
If not, how could you comment on it ?

How do you think Peter Jackson felt ? He went on the show to promote and talk about his new movie and Viggo starts quoting the Liberal playbook ?
Old 12-05-02, 12:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's try to stick to the subject matter, and try to avoid throwing jabs at other members... thanks.
Old 12-05-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do think VM went on a bit long about the issue (and I didn't like the T-shirt), but I think it was within his right to say what he said where he said it. And I think this (while not agreeing with him on some points) because unlike morons such as O'Donnell and Streisand, VM stated his opinion calmly and intelligently.

What he said that people seem to forget is that the LOTR films are not pro-war, and that politics should not be read into them. The characters fight in the movies because they have to, because they are facing overwhelming evil which directly and unambiguously threatens their existence. Tolkien stated that nothing current and allegorical should be read into his books, and I think Jackson would take the same position, regardless of what he feels about international politics.
Old 12-05-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
To me, it just seemed the wrong time for VM to get on a soapbox. Talk about the film, and don't preach to me.

As much I love his portrayal of Aragorn, I don't really want to hear his political viewpoints.
Old 12-05-02, 01:21 PM
Banned

because they are facing overwhelming evil which directly and unambiguously threatens their existence
Wow, just like us.
Old 12-05-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
I do think VM went on a bit long about the issue (and I didn't like the T-shirt), but I think it was within his right to say what he said where he said it. And I think this (while not agreeing with him on some points) because unlike morons such as O'Donnell and Streisand, VM stated his opinion calmly and intelligently.

What he said that people seem to forget is that the LOTR films are not pro-war, and that politics should not be read into them. The characters fight in the movies because they have to, because they are facing overwhelming evil which directly and unambiguously threatens their existence. Tolkien stated that nothing current and allegorical should be read into his books, and I think Jackson would take the same position, regardless of what he feels about international politics.
But he also said "America was wrong to bomb Afghanistan after 9/11". He made America look the bad guy by responding to 9/11 when we were the ones who were attacked. He talked about 9/11 like it wasn't a big deal that we lost over 3,000 Americans.
When Rose asked him told him what about the 3,000 Americans that were murdered he said "so what, we killed a lot more by bombing Afghanistan".

Again, he had no right preaching his political beliefs on a show about the Two Towers. It was advertised as a show on the Two Towers not "Viggo Mortensen's views on why America's wrong for responding for 9/11".
Old 12-05-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, just like us.

Really? Make sure to call me when the entire United States of America is being invaded by large armies of nuke-carrying terrorists off of both of our coasts. That's a workable analogy to Helm's Deep I think.

Not that I support waiting that long, mind you. I'm the farthest thing from a pacifist.

If you insist on reading your political views into the LOTR films, that's your own kick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.