Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I name my daughter after a character on Buffy?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are expecting our first child in January. We don't know the sex and won't until she has the baby. However, we made an agreement going back to our college dating days, that if we had a girl I'd be responsible for the name and if we had a boy, she'd be responsible for the name.

We still have to agree, but the final few names are totally up to us.

I actually named the dog I got us 6 years ago, Piper, because the was the name of Gillian Anderson's daughter. Gillian and Scully just didn't seem to fit on our pomeranian.

Ok, so I have 3 names on the list already (Annika, Stella, and Keely), but, lately, I've been really leaning towards a new name for the list and actually making it my first choice. Anya.

Am I crazy? Would that be a good name for a girl or is it just my love of the show blinding me to the obvious?

Going back to the beginning, I've always loved Willow but I just don't want my daughter named Willow. Although, we are Jewish, like Willow is. If we were the Rosenbergs, it might be a different story but we're not.

For a while now Anya/Emma has become my favorite character and we even talked about Emma as a name. But it's kind of common now and then with Emma being the name of Rachel and Ross' baby, it kind of fell out of favor with me.

I really like Anya as a name and I was wondering what other Buffy fans thought. Has anyone named a child or even a pet after a Buffy character?

What do you think?
Old 11-30-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about Drucilla?

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. It can't be anyworse than Kevin Smith naming his daughter Harley Quinn.
Old 11-30-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Put yourself in your daughter's (or son's) shoes in school and you tell me what would be an appropriate name. I hate parents that give their kids weird names as they ALWAYS get picked on.
Old 11-30-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by shaun3000
Put yourself in your daughter's (or son's) shoes in school and you tell me what would be an appropriate name. I hate parents that give their kids weird names as they ALWAYS get picked on.
That's a good point and why I wanted to throw the question out here. Is Anya a weird name like you mention? I could see a girl having a tough time growing up as Buffy, but I think Anya is a pretty name.

I am sort of wondering out loud here if my daughter, if I even have a girl, would like the name or not. I'm really 50-50 on the name now. I like it, but I wonder if it will be a name that would make it hard on her or whether it would be a pretty and original name when all her classmates are Ashleys and Brandons.
Old 11-30-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Anya being a pretty name, but I would think twice before using. Sure, in a short story or book that somebody is writing, that's fine, but naming an actual person, IMO, is a huge decision.

And I do agree it beats the millions of Ashleys and Brandons. And it's not ambigious, which I hate, because sometimes, "Chris" is a girl or "Alex" is a guy or whatnot, and it throws me off course.
Old 11-30-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't think there's anything wrong with Anya. Unless it's a boy.

Though, if you were Russian...
Old 11-30-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One other thing, popluar shows tend to make the names of people in the show become trendy.

I'm pretty sure that there won't be a slew of Anyas when she's in school, but that would be my only other concern.

Beverly Hills 90210 really put Brandon over the top.

Will there be a lot of Willows, Xanders, and Buffys in the next 10 years? Or Anyas? I bet not, but I am not sure.

It would be cool if she was in a class with Tara, Faith, Buffy, Xander, Dawn, and Willow.
Old 11-30-02, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought you were naming the kid "Spike"

BTW, I like Anya as a name and its not common either. I can't imagine how anyone could use it to make fun of somebody. It doesn't really rhyme with anything, does it?

But how about Cordelia?
Old 11-30-02, 02:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

How about Seven? That's a great name. Or Soda also.
Old 11-30-02, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I had been a Buffy fan before I got my puppy last year, she would have been named "Buffy" instead of "Pepper". Not so sure about a child however. I would do it if the name was mainstream enough not to be totally identified with the show.
Old 11-30-02, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by movieking
If I had been a Buffy fan before I got my puppy last year, she would have been named "Buffy" instead of "Pepper". Not so sure about a child however. I would do it if the name was mainstream enough not to be totally identified with the show.
If you haven't already given your dog a middle name, you should go with Pepper Buffy _________.
(your last name)
Old 11-30-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
How about Seven? That's a great name. Or Soda also.
Old 11-30-02, 09:00 AM
razorbackfan

Naming your kid after a fictional character in a television show?????? Ok, name her Spike or how about The Big Bad?
Old 11-30-02, 09:03 AM
Needs to provide a working email

1.) I'd suggest D'hofrin (sp) for her name, myself.

2.) By the time your daughter hits school age, I'd say the majority of kids will have only a vague idea what "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is, except for some musty old set of reruns. I thought a friend of mine was crazy when she recently named a son Chandler, but then I relized, 6 or 7 years from now, are kids REALLY going to make a big deal about a name based on a characer in a prehistoric (for them) TV series?

And yes, I am named after the guy in Bewitched.
Old 11-30-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How about Jenny? Oops, she died.

How about Tara? Oops, she died.

How about Glory? Oops, she got dispatched

How about Faith? Oops she's been doing time.

How about Warren's Girlfriend? Oops she died.

How about Samantha (Sam)? Oops, she married Riley

How about Drusilla? Oops, she's crazy

How about Cordelia? Oops, she's banging her true love's son.

How abouy Amy? Oops, she was a rat for 3 years.

How about Maggie? Oops, her creation killed her.

How about Harmony? Oops, she was dumb.

How about Joyce? Oops, she died.
Old 11-30-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know Buffy is a popular show, but I for one have never seen it so I would not have even gotten the reference from the show.

I've heard of other people named Anya so at least it's not like the show created the name.

Either way, I don't think the show will be around in 6 years when she starts school so it probably won't really matter. If you like it and your wife likes it, use that for the name
Old 11-30-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Anya is a beautiful name for a girl. Just don't use the characters true name which is Anyanka.
Old 11-30-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd go for it. Anya is a pretty name and it's not like the Buffy creators made it up.

In fact, Barbara Bach's character in The Spy Who Loved Me was named Anya, so you could also say she was named after a Bond girl.

My husband and I are seriously considering a Star Trek name if we have a daughter. Nope, not Jadzia. But one of Dax's previous hosts, Audrid. I mentioned the name to my husband who thought it was really cool-- like a cross between Audrey & Ingrid. I think it would be cool too since Audrid Dax was only mentioned on the show, so it wouldn't be like naming a daughter after a really well-known character or something.

I think only people who watch Buffy might get the Anya reference, but it is a really nice, under-used name.
Old 11-30-02, 11:26 AM

Anya is pretty common Russian name. It's short for Anna.
Old 11-30-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
would it be crazy to call a kid "Jules" after jules winnifred in pulp fiction.
Old 11-30-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
tips to naming: make sure it won't fit in limericks. make sure it doesn't rhyme with vulgar words. make sure it isn't slng for a body part (aka richard's nickname)
the SNL "asswipe(oz-wee-pay)" skit is good reference

Anya sounds kind of cool, if nothing else make it the middle name

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-30-02 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-30-02, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by dolphinboy
Will there be a lot of Willows, Xanders, and Buffys in the next 10 years? Or Anyas? I bet not, but I am not sure.
Not to really dork out or anything here, but isn't Xander short for Alexander?

By the same token, isn't Anya short for something too?
Old 11-30-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I like "Anyanka, the Vengeance Demon" for a child's name.

But seriously, Anya, Cordelia, and Faith are all great names. Tara is okay. Drusilla is a total vampire name, though.
Old 11-30-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't respond earlier, because I have conflicting opinions ...
Spoiler:
and I know you hate me

1) Naming your kid after a TV show character is wacko.

2) Anya is a beautiful name for your daughter.

So, I guess what I'm saying is if you heard the name Anya on Buffy and thought it was a beautiful name, then just name her Anya. If you do so, however, it should be because it's a nice name not because it's a character on Buffy. Naming a child after a TV show character is kinda cruel.

das
Old 11-30-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm.... I doubt that "Giles" would make a good boys name. But Anya, Tara, and Willow are good names.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.