Old 11-11-02, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Boot
Elvis Costello, when Homer knocked his glasses off: "Ah, my image!"
Hilarious bit!

Very funny episode. Tom Petty: "Has anyone seen my, uh..."
Old 11-11-02, 11:35 AM

I agree that this was the best "guest voices" ep since Burns' baseball team. Nearly fell out of my chair at Keith Richards' "OU
SAID"AT?!?" Another indicator was that my girlfriend was laughing a lot too, and she's not too huge of a fan .

I liked at the end how they showed all the musicians having fun doing their lines, I think the mood carried over.
Old 11-11-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked how the weather lady yammered in front of the map, telling us that tornados were touching down all over my city.

Oh wait, tornado warnings pre-empted the Simpsons this week. Dammit.
Old 11-11-02, 02:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I thought it was a great episode.

Mick: "Homer, it's only Rock'n'roll camp."
Homer: "But I like it."

Old 11-11-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Homer "driving" outside Moe's...
Old 11-11-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone happen to have some of the Tom Petty quotes from this ep?
Old 11-11-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

please tell me someone taped the futurama episode because of damn football i missed it.
Old 11-11-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Homer "driving" outside Moe's...
I also laughed when Moe put him in the cab and the cab driver started off and said, "Where to buddy?" and Homer said "Moe's Tavern."
Old 11-11-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This weeks show was better than I have seen in a long time. I loved the whole Taxicab conversations. Who in the world could possible hate drunk Homer that is the best Homer there is! This had very many funny one liners I still crazy about this show after all these years.
Old 11-11-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I was actually rather surprised, the previews before the show reminded me of the common "Get special guests for the show before it dies off to build ratings" scheme, and then I remembered the atrocious N'Sync episode.

Luckily, they took care of a lot of the content in the proper manner, and it was entertaining for the most part, far far better than expected.
Old 11-11-02, 07:42 PM

I didn't think it was all that funny, lots of quotables then. Of course, I missed the taxicab confessions thing and that might have made the episode better. Still, funnier than almost any other show.
Old 11-11-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Except for the homer 'driving', I thought it was rather poor, the whole music camp didn't do it for me.
Old 11-12-02, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Tuan Jim
I already told you in the other thread -- Futurama showed at 7:00 as scheduled (at least on Fox 50 in NC). Get over it.

Tuan Jim
But it didn't show on fox in florida, "Get over it" remind me to take the opposite position on whatever you disagree with in the future.

It didn't show in florida because of the football game

as for the person who said that they want to make a profit. hmmm maybe if fox actually put futurama in a time slot that wasn't eaten away with football. You can't put a show in a time slot no one will watch, not advertise for it and expect people to watch it. Fox gave up on futurama without even giving it a chance. pretty sad.
Old 11-12-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Simpsons and King of the Hill continue to amaze me with making solid shows after being on ther air for so long. Interesting that Keith Richards was actually coherent for this show. It was also nice to see the outtakes of the musicians recording their dialogue.
Old 11-12-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The episode was okay for Scully-written/produced ep. I did enjoy the guest stars and I thought the episode was a marked improvment over last weeks disappointing THOH XIII.
Old 11-12-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RichC2
I was actually rather surprised, the previews before the show reminded me of the common "Get special guests for the show before it dies off to build ratings" scheme, and then I remembered the atrocious N'Sync episode.

Luckily, they took care of a lot of the content in the proper manner, and it was entertaining for the most part, far far better than expected.
I think the Simpsons are an exception to that rule. They've always had guest stars, and those are some of the best shows they've done.
Old 11-12-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
But it didn't show on fox in florida, "Get over it" remind me to take the opposite position on whatever you disagree with in the future.

It didn't show in florida because of the football game

as for the person who said that they want to make a profit. hmmm maybe if fox actually put futurama in a time slot that wasn't eaten away with football. You can't put a show in a time slot no one will watch, not advertise for it and expect people to watch it. Fox gave up on futurama without even giving it a chance. pretty sad.
I apologize -- I didn't think different Fox affiliates would screw things up that much. Was it a college game or what?

Tuan Jim
Old 11-12-02, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Maybe if it was a better show it would prevail in whatever time slot it gets. Alas, that is not the case.

Fox gave up on Futurama without even giving it a chance.

This show must be 4 or 5 years old already. How is that not giving it a chance?
Old 11-12-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well, when fox doesn't get to show futurama because of football or a post game show, it's hard to get an audiance. the 7:00 timeslot is murder considering the east coast has football to cover throughout the whole season of futurama. Then there is the throw away time slot factor. Fox really cut back on promoting the show or showing ad's for it.

Many would say that simpsons is losing it's edge and it's funny while futurama was picking up steam yet fox hasn't done anything to add fuel to that flame. they took king of the hill from the 7:30 timeslot and put it at 8:30 and they replaced that 7:30 time space with a repeat simpsons. Considering how much syndication this show gets, why is another episode needed when you can easily put Futurama on that time slot.

Fox is not giving futurama a chance because of that. they only order a few episodes a year (well they did before they pretty much stopped ordering them since they had so many) and yet they are not doing anything with them. it's a shame really.

Given a better timeslot atleast during the 7:30 time it would help a lot in getting the ratings in.
Old 11-12-02, 12:05 PM
Banned

What you don't seem to understand is that FOX isn't trying to introduce Futurama to anyone. It's been on for years and for the most part, people who are going to watch it are going to watch it no matter when it is on. It's not like it's some secret that you have to search for. And the time slot is not causing the poor ratings. The poor ratings came first and, unfortunately for Futurama fans, more people would rather watch repeats of The Simpsons or Football.

As a fan of a show that has been on the air as long as Futurama has, you have no room to bitch when shows like Andy Richter and Titus have already been canned.
Old 11-12-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

the problem is, those people who are going to watch it can't always watch it BECAUSE fox throws it in timeslots that are covered up. It's not that people would rather watch football or simpsons, because there is plenty of room to work within the lineup.

Those who want to watch the simpsons will do so at 8:00. those who want to watch football will do so at it's time. Why is it so hard for fox to place futurama a show they have new episodes of in the time slot of 7:30 where it actually can be seen and throw the simpsons repeat at 7:00 so that if football goes over, fine it goes over on a repeat of a show that will be seen in an hour.

As for Richter, I thought it was a mid season replacement show and will be coming back in the... midseason.

It's simple to see that fox has no real sense on what shows are good and what shows need to grow to pick up an audiance. Not to mention the time slots. Look at how fox pretty much buried any show that is on thursday nights. A night where they really can't compete unless they try and in there last attempts of just throwing fresh shows with little audiance numbers (that could grow if given a better timeslot) they are really screwing things over for other shows.

Then you have to factor in another thing, Sure futurama has been around for some time now, but look at how they push King of the Hill, another show which has been around for pretty much the same time. Sure it may be an opionon, but I can't see how KOTH is a better show then Futurama. I would call them equelly as good but instead of giving us a fresh dose of a little bit of everything on sunday nights they bombard us with three shows in a two and a half hour time span.
Old 11-12-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Boy, for a thread about the 11/10 ep of The Simpsons there is far too much chatter about Futurama and football...

Someone please start a new Futurama/Fox/Football pre-empt thread and get out of this one.
Old 11-12-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
As good? Yes. As popular? No.

He was on the show because he's considered one of the greatest guitar players alive.
Amen.