TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anime Network on Digital Cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Anime Network on Digital Cable

from here...

Sounds good. But it'll probably end up like the Sci Fi channel.

INFOMERCIAL HELL.

ADV Films Announces Launch of the Anime Network on Digital Cable
Official ADV Press Release:

FOR THE FIRST TIME, QUALITY ANIME PROGRAMMING TO BE AVAILABLE ON CABLE TELEVISION 24 HOURS A DAY

HOUSTON, November 6, 2002-ADV Films today announced publicly the creation of The Anime Network(tm), the first television channel in North America dedicated to anime (Japanese animation) and anime-related content. The Anime Network(tm) targets the nation's estimated 85 million cable television subscribers, and seeks to capitalize on cable's increasing dominance in the world of at-home entertainment.

Initially announced in June, 2002 at ADV Films' 10th Anniversary party in Tokyo, and announced in the U.S. at ADV's November 2 invitation-only 10th Anniversary party in Houston, the creation of The Anime Network(tm) has the industry abuzz with excitement and speculation.

"This has been in the works for some time," said ADV Films President, Founder and CEO John Ledford. "Until now, the market and the culture haven't been ready for it. But today ever-increasing numbers of Americans are becoming familiar with anime and its distinctive aesthetic; they're curious about anime, they're hungry for it, and The Anime Network(tm) is going to deliver it right to their televisions."

Competitive Advantage
While existing cable outlets have enjoyed strong ratings with limited blocks of anime and anime-inspired animated programming, The Anime Network(tm) will make fine anime programming available to viewers 24 hours a day.

"The Anime Network(tm) is the next logical step," said Ledford. "The television outlets that currently carry anime aren't meeting the potential demand; they offer very limited selections of titles, and only during very restricted hours. The Anime Network(tm) will change all of that, and we're excited to be leading the revolution."

Content
The Anime Network(tm) model is structured around four categorized content areas: Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy Incorrect, and Horror/Martial Arts. These categories are designed to include virtually the entire spectrum of quality anime, while contextualizing content for new viewers unfamiliar with specific titles.

Coming Up
Coming soon, releases detailing geographic/service provider availability of The Anime Network,(tm) along with information about whom viewers can call regarding local availability; also, a sneak preview of programming that will be available in The Anime Network(tm)'s first months.
Old 11-08-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony was supposed to start a channel called Animax a while back.

This sounds promising. We'll have to wait and see. One thing I know is that my cable system probably won't be carrying it. I think Des Moines has a better cable system than this town.

Old 11-09-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool.

Old 11-09-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wonder if you would be able to control the digital signal coming in and change from dub to sub?

The only problem I can see with this.. ADV will then be the main controlling factor in this. A lot of series will not be on the anime station because of differen't distribution holders.
Old 11-09-02, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I hope this goes on subbed and uncensored, but the chances of something like that happening are slim to none unfortunately.
Old 11-09-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The only problem I can see with this.. ADV will then be the main controlling factor in this. A lot of series will not be on the anime station because of differen't distribution holders.
Yeah! No Dragonblah Z!!

I imagine they'll work out deals with the other distributors.
Old 11-09-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
wonder if you would be able to control the digital signal coming in and change from dub to sub?

Hmm... they can probably work out a deal with them. I'm sure the other companies want their titles shown too as it'll promote people to buy their titles.
Old 11-09-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jason
Yeah! No Dragonblah Z!!

I imagine they'll work out deals with the other distributors.
Or Pokemon, or Sailor Moon. I'm sure they wont be strictly airing whats in their own catalog. That would be silly and they would quickly run out of material.

As for the dub or sub. The Action channel routinely airs the same anime in both formats.
Old 11-09-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That goes along more of the lines of a Syndication. It would work better if this was an independant station starting up and syndicating the rights to show these series. I'm sure we'll just get a lot of ADV self promoting
Old 11-10-02, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's time for something like this to happen.

If they can get deep enough into the right markets and program well, this could be a big success.
Old 11-10-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I might have to get digital cable again if this is any good.
Old 11-11-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

to me, being able to watch anime features late at night(my time) would be great. But I'll bet the overnights will be filled with infomercials.

I'm also betting the channel will be more like the USA channel.... EDITED FOR CONTENT unless it's a paychannel.
Old 11-11-02, 06:45 PM
Banned

Will it be on DirecTv.
Old 11-11-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember, this is only a preliminary announcement about a potential new channel. Many details still have to be worked out, and they haven't even announced availability or even where you can petition to get it carried on your system.

Just remember, last May, American Movie Classics announced that they were just going to be called AMC, and that there will be a AMC Hollywood Classics channel by the end of the year. Last e-mail I got was that it's still in the planning stages.
Old 11-11-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't honestly think there is enough anime to keep a channel like this going... where do you go once you've shown everything? The best series/stories rarely have more than 26 episode and an OAV or 2... only the ones aimed at kids have a lot of episodes (and the odd serie like Ranma, Tenchi, Kenshin...)

They should concentrate on a partnership with another channel that aims to geeks (something like the scifi network or even Tech TV) and have days or timeslots reserved for anime as to not start with a flood and end with a trickle of good series within a year.
Old 11-11-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Feneant, Sci Fi channel --DID-- have blocks set aside for anime but they evetually dumped it.

I used to watch Anime features at Midnite evry Saturday on Sci Fi then they moved it to Saturday morning. Now I think it's gone.
Old 11-11-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
I don't honestly think there is enough anime to keep a channel like this going... where do you go once you've shown everything? The best series/stories rarely have more than 26 episode and an OAV or 2... only the ones aimed at kids have a lot of episodes (and the odd serie like Ranma, Tenchi, Kenshin...)
They'll probably replay them over and over again like Cartoon Network. But keep in mind that there's new ones coming out in Japan all the time. We're only seeing a fraction of them.
Old 11-11-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO.... they should try for a 24-hour Asian film channel instead of a 24-hour anime channel. The combination of Anime with Asian flicks should provide enough programming.
Old 11-11-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by khieng
They'll probably replay them over and over again like Cartoon Network. But keep in mind that there's new ones coming out in Japan all the time. We're only seeing a fraction of them.

True.

The Japanese market like most foreign markets will release tons of stuff that never sees our(U.S.) shores.
Old 11-12-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who knows what will happen when and if ADV launches a 24-hour anime cable channel. Best scenario... they will generate a lot of revenue from sponsors and commercials, which in turn will allow them to purchase more licenses of shows that never made their way over to our shores.