DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alias - 10/20/02

Wow

das
Old 10-20-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack is a bad man! Well, not really, but it is interesting the lengths he went to in order to get Sidney away from her mother. The teaser from next week has me really interested. The first thing that came to my mind is some kind of sexual abuse, but that doesn't really fit in with the show. Maybe it will be revealed that Jack is not her real father? Maybe Sloane is? Just throwing out some wild guesses.

I really liked tonight's episode. Keep'em coming!
Old 10-20-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i too was kinda shocked at what jack pulled. i was also kinda surprised with the whole sd-6 spying on will plotline although common sense should have told me that it would eventually happen. the question is, where will they go with it? also, i wonder what will happen with emily?
Old 10-20-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Another whirlwind episode with enough emotional subtext and manipulation to really grab you along for the ride. I still can't believe how fast each episode moves.

Jack finally gets a bit of revenge on Irina. Sydney's world crumbles a bit. Will doesn't falter (Conspiracy Chick was a cutie). Kendall feels like dork. Emily enjoys crank calls.

I have to wonder if Jack was smart enough to have his explosive man retrieve the bible from the house.
Old 10-20-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Ah, good thought Patman!

I also wonder if Emily is an agent recruited by the CIA. Maybe she discovered what was going on and they had her fake her whole sickness and death. I just don't understand what the reason would be for her to drive Sloan crazy. Good subplot though.

Jack's one bad dude. I couldn't believe he did that. Good episode.
Old 10-20-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Agreed with everyone's comments.

I need to add "Poor Will." I mean, this is a character that I could take or leave last season. This year has been a complete 180 and I am almost as interested in what goes on in his life as I am in Sydney's. It's a rarity on television to see a massive character change pulled off effectively, and mad props to "Alias" for pulling it off.
Old 10-20-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, if Will doesn't make that 180 degree change, he's a dead man.
Old 10-20-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oooh...Emily lives! And no cliffhanger!

Jack's actions pretty much ruined his relationship with Syd, assuming she finds out the truth. Watching the teaser, I bet we'll find out next week...
Old 10-20-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, the opening sequence was REALLY bad.

In the last episode, they said the water would freeze in like 4 seconds, right? So Syd shoots the ice, nevermind the fact that the recoil from the gun would push her down in the water--yet she amazingly stayed stable, but it took her about 4 seconds to swim up to the surface. And then when she gets to the surface, she's in a whole pool of unfrozen water!

WTF! How come that water isn't frozen?!?! And to top it all off, you don't even see chunks of ice that she supposedly shot up with the gun.

So Dixon pulls her out and they're just laying there hugging each other? Why didn't they rip off Syd's clothes and treat her for hypothermia? So next we see Syd talking to Sloan and she's grasping a coffee mug in her hands...woah, real subtle way to show us, the stupid audience, that she's a bit chilly.

That SD-6 mole chick in Will's support group is hot. There actually is a www.conspiracychick.com website. Very interesting stuff.

What's up with that skirt that Syd was wearing as a Russian major? Surely a skirt that such a huge slit can't be standard issue.

Marshall....OMFG! That was so hilarious when he poked himself with the medals and he said that it felt kinda good!

Syd calling Vaughn to ask for an exit was kinda Matrix-esque.

"How do you say thank you to the woman that killed your father?" Great line.

Why do they keep referring to Sonoma as Sonoma, California?!!? They're already in California (Los Angeles), so wouldn't they just refer to it as Sonoma? Not like there are other well known Sonomas. At least none that I'm aware of.

Jack...not cool screwing with your daughter's mind. I really felt sorry for Irina. She really looks like she could actually be Jennifer Garner's mom. Which is good, because Syd looks nothing like Jack. His head is way too frickin' big...though Syd has a pretty huge forehead.

Interesting developments with Emily....good stuff!

Overall, a good episode despite my nitpicking...

Old 10-21-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This episode seemed to have went by in a heartbeat, it felt really short! Good episode though.
Old 10-21-02, 12:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See, for a second I felt sorry for Irina... until I remembered that her character, as Jack has said, is a manipulative sociopath. I'm still unsure about her trustworthiness.

Jack is such a badass.

Agreed that the whole "water freezing and such" part was lame.

I don't know what I'm more excited to see the resolution to... the "is Emily dead or isn't she?" plotline or the "Jack did bad things to Sydney" plotline.

The whole Emily thing could be the Alliance screwing with Sloane. Surely someone in that rogues' gallery could learn how to forge a signature. Or, if not the Alliance, someone trying to bring down SD-6 and starting by mindscrewing its top dog.
Old 10-21-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
The whole Emily thing could be the Alliance screwing with Sloane. Surely someone in that rogues' gallery could learn how to forge a signature. Or, if not the Alliance, someone trying to bring down SD-6 and starting by mindscrewing its top dog.
That's what I was thinking. Although I could see the writers bringing her back. I'm more interested in this storyline than I am the Jack did bad things to Sydney storyline.

Old 10-21-02, 12:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

I just don't see how she'd come back. I'm sure the writers could devise some wacky plot device, and I might even be mildly impressed by it... but I really think she's dead.

Hey, maybe Sloane can get someone to dig up Emily's body? Or Emily's empty coffin, depending on what's really going on. And even if they have an "oh my gosh, her coffin is empty!" scene, I wouldn't put it past some evil organization to steal her corpse just to ratchet the mindscrew up one more notch.

Come to think of it, that would be kinda cool, in my opinion. "Hello, new level of creepiness!"
Old 10-21-02, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure they could devise some way to bring her back. She probably drove off a bridge into water and sucked the air out of the car's tires to use for oxygen or something like that.

Seriously, I forget how she even died in the first place. My memory gets worse with each passing day. Did Sloane poison her wine or something? I seem to vaguely recall that.

[Maxwell House Commercial] We've secretly replaced Arvin Sloane's poison with some fake poison. Let's see if he notices. [/Commercial]

The same somebody could've tipped off Emily and brought her into the fray of the plan. Maybe another agency recruited her...or.......maybe she works for the KGB like Syd's mommy. Now that would be interesting. Or maybe she's working for another agency of the Alliance. What if Arvin and/or Emily is/are Syd's real parent(s)? Whoa. Far-fetched, I know, but who knows what the writers have in mind.

Old 10-21-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

maybe emily has a twin sister somewhere in the world working for the cia, and know that sloanne had killed her twin sister emily and come back to take revenge.
Old 10-21-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by the_dude8
maybe emily has a twin sister somewhere in the world working for the cia, and know that sloanne had killed her twin sister emily and come back to take revenge.
Not totally out of the question, but probably unlikely. I think that would be too far-fetched for the show. Moreover, if they actually did do something like that, I would hunt down JJ Abrams and wring his neck.

Old 10-21-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JuryDuty
Ah, good thought Patman!

I also wonder if Emily is an agent recruited by the CIA. Maybe she discovered what was going on and they had her fake her whole sickness and death. I just don't understand what the reason would be for her to drive Sloan crazy. Good subplot though.

Jack's one bad dude. I couldn't believe he did that. Good episode.
I'm guessing that someone is pretending to be Emily to torture Sloan psychologically. Probably someone on the Alliance who knows Sloan offed his wife so is using this trick to make him go mad.
Old 10-21-02, 01:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Seriously, I forget how she even died in the first place. My memory gets worse with each passing day. Did Sloane poison her wine or something? I seem to vaguely recall that.
Yep. She was going to die from the cancer, but she had a remission. So Sloane had to poison her. What a great guy. And now it's time for him to reap the whirlwind... mwahahahaha.
Old 10-21-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I'm guessing that someone is pretending to be Emily to torture Sloan psychologically. Probably someone on the Alliance who knows Sloan offed his wife so is using this trick to make him go mad.
I like that theory.

Old 10-21-02, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think that we have seen the last of Emily Sloane. I think that it is more likely she is working with the CIA or another agency than she is actually dead. Whoever she is working with is trying to make Sloane go crazy, and slowly, it seems to be working.
Old 10-21-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Marshall....OMFG! That was so hilarious when he poked himself with the medals and he said that it felt kinda good!
I was in tears when Marshall said that My second favorite moment in the entire episode.
"How do you say thank you to the woman that killed your father?" Great line.
I thought Vaughn's response was the kicker "You don't" Best moment for me.

How many people think Vaughn is going to end up like our Morphine torture gentleman? There have got to be repercussions of him swimming in that liquid from last season. Or maybe I'm just projecting. Also thought both Vaughn and Will were looking particularly good in this ep. A haircut and five o'clock shadow go a long way I guess.
Old 10-21-02, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by movieking
Jack is a bad man! Well, not really, but it is interesting the lengths he went to in order to get Sidney away from her mother. The teaser from next week has me really interested. The first thing that came to my mind is some kind of sexual abuse, but that doesn't really fit in with the show. Maybe it will be revealed that Jack is not her real father? Maybe Sloane is? Just throwing out some wild guesses.

I really liked tonight's episode. Keep'em coming!
For some reason, I'm been thinking that Sloane is actually her father since some point last season, but I don't really have anything to back it up...

However, my thought about next week is that Jack was "training" her to become a spy since she was young. Mental / physical exercises - moreso than what a child of her age should be put through.
Old 10-21-02, 09:20 AM

I think it has something to do with the fact that Syd's memory is very blurry after her mother "died". Jack had a guilty reaction when Syd said she couldn't remember what part she played in the thanksgiving play and that she couldn't remember much at all about that time.

My guess is that whatever happened, Jack used some sort of hypnotism or conditioning to make Sydney forget.

FWIW, I doubt it could by anything like sexual abuse. I actually doubt it could be anything too bad at all. Jack is an integral part of the show. Sure they can give him "flaws" but he still must remain a sympathetic protagonist through it all.
Old 10-21-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think that it will be sexual abuse, but that is what popped into my mind first. As for Sloane being her father, he alluded to it last season, saying something to the effect of how he always thought of her as his own daughter. That would be an interesting turning point. Maybe Sidney's mother was nailing Sloane on the side to get more info (he was higher up than Jack I believe), and he is her real father. Who knows!
Old 10-21-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for Sloane being her father, he alluded to it last season, saying something to the effect of how he always thought of her as his own daughter. That would be an interesting turning point. Maybe Sidney's mother was nailing Sloane on the side to get more info (he was higher up than Jack I believe), and he is her real father. Who knows!
I could totally see that happening and even thought that myself before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.