Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John Doe 10/18 (expect spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Doe 10/18 (expect spoilers)

Wow. Awesome episode tonight. Suddenly Doe's story takes center stage with some very interesting developments. I love the whole time travel theory, and just when you think that's not the direction, it turns back and throws something in there to suggest that maybe...

This series has suddenly captured my interest much deeper. I hope the focus stays on Doe and his search for himself rather than switching back to focusing mainly on him solving crimes. His story makes for much more involving drama IMO. I'm definitely hooked after tonight.
Old 10-18-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this show too! I though it was an excellent episode. I like the whole new
Spoiler:
time traveler (quantum leap)
direction.

Then I watched the season finally to MONK on usa! Another great show.
Old 10-19-02, 01:50 AM

Yes, another great episode. (I also really enjoyed tonights Firefly)...

So is there a reason they couldnt have just done a DNA test on the lady to find out if it was really his mother?

Brian
Old 10-19-02, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Very good episode. I'm a little sick of the know-it-all aspect (the piece of wood in the barrel was just ridiculous), but I'm hooked on the mystery aspect.
Old 10-19-02, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap, I fell asleep and missed the last 20 minutes cause I was so tired.

Question: Didn't John Doe tell Karen before that he was color blind? I swear he did. Why'd he have to tell her again in this episode?

Question: Didn't the black cop go to the bar/hangout place before? And didn't John Doe introduce him to Digger in a previous episode? When the cop showed up to Digger's place, I think he said something along the lines of "So this is where you hang out", but I swear he'd been there before and been introduced to Digger. But then JD intro'd them in this episode.

I'm not sure what the last thing is I remember from falling asleep....I remember JD getting an MRI and freaking out...and him buying that hand-held metal detector thing. I also remember him doing that demonstration for the police captain by stabbing the fake dummy. Of course, I don't really remember the chronological order of all these events, so I can't really say where I dozed off. But I do know that I fell asleep after about 40 minutes.

Anybody care to recap the last 20 minutes? Were there any new developments with regards to that mystery woman who's been shown at the end of the last couple episodes (who presumably knows JD)?

So he is a time traveller or not?

By the way, I REALLY dislike the Karen character. She's really annoying.

Old 10-19-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The preview for next episode clenched it for me:

Spoiler:
Another branded guy: "They got you, too, huh..." right as he starts to die. "WHO got me? WHO got me?!"

Of course he'll die before anything substantial is revealed.
Old 10-19-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That girl gets more annoying every episode.

If he wanted to get DNA from the old man he could have gotten it easily from his house. A comb, toothbrush they can even extract DNA from the pulp inside the teeth of burn victims.

Also any metal in the vicinity of an MRI machine is attracted to it with extreme velocity. The metal inside him would have been torn from his flesh, But now I'm just nit picking .
Old 10-19-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the concept, but I hate the execution. He has knowledge of "everything" except things related to plot. I'm often wondering why he "knows" some things and has to research other things that are in the same area (and unrelated to his personal history). Not unlike CSI, for a show so obsessed with the "details" they seem to neglect very obvious things over and over just to push the story forward. It gets really annoying.

Still, I enjoy the show as entertainment in spite of its inconsistencies. And Karen's damn annoying.

I wonder if they've aired a few episodes out of order a bit. The exposition seems repetitive. Or maybe FOX forced them to add some repeated scenes in since the show's been on a small hiatus for the playoffs.

das
Old 10-19-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, notice how his Tattoo scanner scans the same symbols over and over again?

das
Old 10-19-02, 06:23 PM
Banned

Yah the episode seemed out of order.
I was yelling at the TV saying that the cop
was at the bar before and the girl knew he was
color blind from the 1st ep. with the little girl
when he was watching the TV and saw her
in color.
The preview for next week looked awesome.
I still need to know who the people in the
suits are and that lady. I dont think that
guy they were chasing killed the lady
it was probably the white suits!
I thought the show was going to be like
the pretender but because of the preview
it looks like it isnt.
Maybe some alien thing but then that
doesnt explain the white suits and the
killing of that doctor.
So it has to be some Government testing.
Old 10-19-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe we finally get either a big red herring, or John Doe is getting a bit closer to the truth of his origins.

It appears that underneath his chest scar/symbol is a metal device that caused a MRI machine to mal-function (as a test to see if John was from the future - hee hee). John is now having blackouts (my guess it is from his device getting zapped by the MRI e-mag) which give him glimpses of a past life, but nothing concrete.

He may have tracked down his real father (who supposedly died in a car explostion) and his real mother, who was found buried in a container that was discovered while construction crew was prepping an area which could have been the home of his father's.

You have to also think that the device in John's chest has to help him get all the facts at his disposal in a split second, like the ultimate PDA, only implanted with a direct link to his brain. It could also help him make logical deductions given certain amounts of data to help him solve problems.

Horseshoe Island may be the place where John was "created". If he were given up for adoption, a secret agency needed "human material" for their projects could have gotten John as an adoptee.

I also have to think that Digger might have a bigger role later down the line, he might be a mole that's keeping tabs on John Doe. I just can't see casting William Forsythe in the role of Digger just so he can collect a paycheck for serving drinks and relaying stories about his ex-wife.
Old 10-19-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman
I also have to think that Digger might have a bigger role later down the line, he might be a mole that's keeping tabs on John Doe. I just can't see casting William Forsythe in the role of Digger just so he can collect a paycheck for serving drinks and relaying stories about his ex-wife.
Good point.
Old 10-20-02, 01:32 AM

....in the nwp...John was dressed up as a doctor.....egads! does this mean he'll actually be doing something different?....

Old 10-20-02, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was dozing off during this episode as well, but I think that I caught most of it. I didn't think that it was particularly good. Interesting new developments, so I will probably tape it from now on, and maybe catch up with it on Sunday (my tape watching day)...
Old 10-21-02, 09:52 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I was wondering about the colorblindness, I would have swore she had been told before.
Old 10-21-02, 12:12 PM

I guess I'm the only one here who likes Karen
Old 10-21-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Must be. I really can't stand her.

I like the time traveller setup, but I don't expect it to be the actual situation. It would be too early in the series to give away such a big plot point, IMO. I could be wrong...
Old 10-22-02, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Thrush
That girl gets more annoying every episode.

If he wanted to get DNA from the old man he could have gotten it easily from his house. A comb, toothbrush they can even extract DNA from the pulp inside the teeth of burn victims.

Also any metal in the vicinity of an MRI machine is attracted to it with extreme velocity. The metal inside him would have been torn from his flesh, But now I'm just nit picking .
Finally got caught up with this episode on my Tivo last night, and I thought exactly the same thing! The old guy is breathing into a mask in a bed, and they rush to get out of there as soon as the cops leave. How about swabbing the inside of the mask, or checking the band that held it to his head for a hair, since they must have pulled it off in a rush to get out of there. I watch too much L&O and CSI....

El stinko episode in my opinion, and the girl has to go...I cringed every time she spoke. And it's going to get really old if everyone with some piece of info just dies right....:::gasp::...befor..::wheeze::: they revea........EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

FS