Enterprise 10/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 02:20 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoshi rubbing down N'Pol.
Way too much Porthos.

Phlox character development = Nice touch (6 Degrees in Veternary medecine! 3 wives with 3 husbands each! And he misses them all!)

Still not the best episode IMHO. They can do so much better...

-BT
Old 10-17-02, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Not a good sign when there are two fart jokes in the first 60 secs of the show.

Some of it was good, granted, I'll take what little character development we get. Having Phlox be a Psychologist as well as a MD smacks a bit too much of ToS, but it was to be expected I guess (he seems to have every other degree). What was the alien term he used for "Freudian Slip"?

Last edited by Eric F; 10-17-02 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed the interaction between Archer and Phlox, and there were some strong comedic moments between them, showing that with good material, I think this cast could be interesting (I said the same for Voyager).

The T&A was just lame and not worth comment. They have Baywatch for that crap.

For the most part, I was entertained, which is surprising. But I've set my meter at Complete Suck, so when it's only Partial Suck, I feel rewarded.

What really pissed me off was the promo for next week. I don't know if it was just my craptacular affiliate, but they clearly and loudly announced (and displayed graphics for) next week's episode of "Star Trek Enterprise." There is no Trek to be found in this series, and B&B at least did us the favor of not abusing that title. I really hope this was an accident.

das
Old 10-17-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
There is no Trek to be found in this series, and B&B at least did us the favor of not abusing that title.

Crap. Now I'm gonna have to look at my tape and see what they did in L.A. AND I missed the fart jokes. One can never have enough of those.

I think maybe it's a good idea to reset the meter. Except I've got it pretty well calibrated for something completely different...
Old 10-17-02, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Oh, the running fart joke with Porthos involves feeding him cheese (how clever).

The other one was when Trip asked the Capt. if he ate too much broccoli. I forget what in reference to.

It's intelligent writing like that which really makes the series.
Old 10-17-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eric F
It's intelligent writing like that which really makes the series.
"Son of the Interstellar Beach." [Hey. I LIKE that!! ]

OK. I remember those now. Listen, cheese and dogs do NOT go together. And it's not funny. Trust me!
Old 10-17-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and the Monkey sayeth...
I don't know if it was just my craptacular affiliate...
Nope. In L.A., too.
Old 10-17-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But next week's episode is a repeat, so who cares?

The broccoli comment was to see if Archer farted in the "Kardesen" presence.
Old 10-18-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure you check back with the show on 10/30, it promises to showcase the badass Klingons the way they acted on TOS.
Old 10-21-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was extreeeeeemely boring.. Except the part with phlox trying to get the bat with the paper bird )
Old 10-21-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Random question: is Porthos an actual dog, a puppet, cgi, or combination of all three?
Old 10-21-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In this particular episode, Porthos was both a real dog in some scenes, and a puppet dog in others. I doubt CGI is used.

For the other episodes, Porthos is mainly a real dog.
Old 10-21-02, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Answer to Random's question: except for last episode, s/he's real. I've wondered about the realtionship with Scott, as I could swear I've seen her give Scott a love lick a coupla times. But it's prolly just a stunt dog.
Old 10-21-02, 11:04 AM
razorbackfan

Real dog. Puppet dog for the operation scene. CGI is too expensive. Enterprise is the FIRST exploration into space, and Berman and company are trying to establish that. I think that's where the awkwardness comes from with the characters. I think Scott is doing a great job as Captain. I know he really has fun on the set and enjoys working on the show. This series is set for a 7 year run (as with all Star Trek series), some of the episodes are slow and will deal with relationships and character development. Other episodes down the road will be very very good and exciting, and one will deal with the death of one of the main characters. Did anyone notice the extended smile Dr. Phlox had at the end of the show? I thought that was a pretty cool appliance effect.
Old 10-30-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally watched this episode and what a snooze fest.

Was this supposed to be an episode of Trek? I found nothing even remotely science-fiction about the story, except the setting.

It could have been an episode of Frasier or any other show.

The plot was almost non-existent. I kept waiting for soemthing to happen, not just a bunch of dream sequences and Archer waking up in sick bay to wacky goings-on. Sure, character development is great, but let's at least present it in a science-fiction story.