TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John Doe 10/4/02

Old 10-05-02, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Doe 10/4/02

So who saw tonights episode? I really enjoyed it as usual.

I do not think it was just a random lie when he said that he grew up in Twin Falls and then moved to Istanbul. If he hadn't have said Istanbul, I would have thought nothing of it, but since he did, and it seems that's where people think that was the place shown at the end of last weeks episode, I believe that he at least has some recall of his past.

I heard this was preempted on the east coast by Baseball... maybe this is why I havent seen much said about it either here or on HTF?
Old 10-05-02, 03:31 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't we see Joh Doe use his talents to help in some other way besides solving gruesome murders? I feel like I'm watching Quincy M.E. and Jack Klugman has amnesia.

This was my least favorite of the three episodes shown because I guessed the killer's identity too early in the storyline and I saw the ending coming a mile away.

The series premise has real potential but I'm not too keen on watching another C.S.I. show.

Oh heck just bring back NoWhere Man
Old 10-05-02, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: John Doe 10/4/02

Originally posted by bdshort

I do not think it was just a random lie when he said that he grew up in Twin Falls and then moved to Istanbul. If he hadn't have said Istanbul, I would have thought nothing of it, but since he did, and it seems that's where people think that was the place shown at the end of last weeks episode, I believe that he at least has some recall of his past.

I'm not so sure about the Twin Falls thing, but I thought the exact same thing as you when he said Istanbul.

Well whoever killed the doctor must be following JD. It seems a little strange that they would be able to get into the psychiatric ward and take him out of there without any witnesses. I thought those places had security? Surely there's somebody on DVDTalk who's had experiences in a pshyciatric ward who can enlighten me as to their security.

Was I daydreaming or did the guys burying the doctor look like twins? Maybe it was just because the episode was about twins.

Was it just me or was there more commercials than usual? I was dead tired when I was watching the show and was struggling to stay awake. I noticed at one point they showed like 6 minutes of show and then broke away to another commercial. I started to nod off during the commercials, but luckily was able to stay awake. I was too lazy to just tape it and take a nap.

Old 10-05-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched about half of it last night before I got a bit annoyed and turned it off. It really bugs me that everything just seems to fall right into place every time. Here all the cops are totally stumped and John Doe comes in and sees a hair, which gives him a mathematical equation about San Fransisco's hair parlors. So he goes to a computer and PRESTO SERVO only two parlors in the area happen to use a particular type of hair dye and one of them just so happens to have someone working there who matches a vague description given by a witness. The whole way is like this, not one trip up at all, except for the detectives of course, who bumble their way through everything (wouldn't they at least have SOME expertise, at least in apprehending suspects if nothing else?) and then stare in awe at Doe as he so easily solves everthing. Way too convenient and formulaic for my tastes.
Old 10-05-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it It will be interesting to see who that lady is whenever we find out. I'm guessing it is his mom.
Old 10-05-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This seems like it's turning into a Pretender-like show.
Old 10-05-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
This seems like it's turning into a Pretender-like show.
"Turning"?

Make that turned. The whole show is a Pretender rip-off. Not that it's not a good show, but I rather watch Andrea Parker any day.
Old 10-05-02, 02:14 PM

Re: John Doe 10/4/02

Originally posted by bdshort
Actually, I believe the location at the end of last week's episode was Cairo. From pics on the web, the large mosques in Istanbul are colored different than the one shown on JD, whereas Cairo's looks the same.

Also, if you visit the official John Doe website, the interactive clues on the wall spell out CAIRO on the PDA. (You'll understand what I'm talking about if you go there. )

Last edited by Skorp; 10-05-02 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-05-02, 03:15 PM
Banned

I liked the ending more than anything. I saw Grace Zabriskies name in the credits and was almost thinking it was someone else until the final scene where she shows up.
I dont think its his Mother. Its something bigger than that.

I would like to see something else other than crimes too. Thats going to get old.
Like the lead actor.
Hunky.
Old 10-05-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was dissapointed in this episode, since I watched it after a great Firefly episode (IMO). I can see myself getting pretty tired of the same thing every week, which it seems this show will be. If they start to explore his past more, instead of for just the last 30 seconds or so, I might be inclined to keep watching it.
Old 10-05-02, 11:42 PM

I likes this episode alot, i thought the end was nuts and cant wait to see what happens next, i think this is going to be very interesting and awesome!
Old 10-06-02, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You have to think that John Doe is an agent of some sort. He didn't even flinch at parasailing and attempting to land on top of a moving SUV. He's flown a helicopter with skill, and can drive the hell out of a sports car. The newspaper headline is how he's been found by the agency he used to work for (or was a test subject of). And now that agency goes around making sure John Doe stays in the dark w/r/t his past, and takes care of anyone who might help him uncover that info.
Old 10-06-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
You have to think that John Doe is an agent of some sort. He didn't even flinch at parasailing and attempting to land on top of a moving SUV. He's flown a helicopter with skill, and can drive the hell out of a sports car. The newspaper headline is how he's been found by the agency he used to work for (or was a test subject of). And now that agency goes around making sure John Doe stays in the dark w/r/t his past, and takes care of anyone who might help him uncover that info.
I agree. Having a working knowledge of the principles behind how something works doesn't mean you'll be able to do it... you've got to develop a muscle memory for it as well (ex. I know how baseball works, but I wouldn't automatically be able to play it without training).
Old 10-07-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AJW
Oh heck just bring back NoWhere Man
Yes! Nowhere Man was friggin' awesome! Man, I would love to watch that whole season again.

But John Doe is also great!

Originally posted by Lou Pole
The whole show is a Pretender rip-off. Not that it's not a good show, but I rather watch Andrea Parker any day.
Oh, you are so right. Don't get me wrong, Jayne Brook is very cute, but Andrea Parker is hella-sexy!
Old 10-07-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cooper2000
I liked the ending more than anything. I saw Grace Zabriskie's name in the credits and was almost thinking it was someone else until the final scene where she shows up.
I dont think its his Mother.
Agreed. And balls to her for getting top credit billing two weeks in a row for a less than 30 second scene at the END of the episode where she had ZERO lines!

The doctor MUST have made a breakthrough in Doe's memory cap. COOL! (Poor Ayre Gross - never can catch a break.)

Next episode looks very interesting....
Spoiler:
A 30 year-old murder is investigated and John Doe HIMSELF is the unaged prime suspect!

Too bad we have to wait 2 weeks...

BTW bdshort - I live on the east coast, and it was not pre-empted at all.
Old 10-08-02, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rfduncan
Agreed. And balls to her for getting top credit billing two weeks in a row for a less than 30 second scene at the END of the episode where she had ZERO lines!

The doctor MUST have made a breakthrough in Doe's memory cap. COOL! (Poor Ayre Gross - never can catch a break.)

Next episode looks very interesting....
Spoiler:
A 30 year-old murder is investigated and John Doe HIMSELF is the unaged prime suspect!

Too bad we have to wait 2 weeks...

BTW bdshort - I live on the east coast, and it was not pre-empted at all.
Actually your spoiler supports my own theory on how John Doe's background is going to play out. I'll put it in spoiler tags even though it's not a spoiler...yet.
Spoiler:
John Doe is a result of a genetic cloning experiment. He's been coded with every bit of human knowledge. I'm thinking it's kind of an X-Files Genesis Project kind of thing. He has no memories of his past because there is nothing to remember!!! But I still have yet to think of why he's been allowed out. Yes, *allowed*. They've had numerous opportunities to recapture him, but they haven't. I don't think he so much escaped as he was PLACED. I have my suspicions that he was actually formerly a bad guy.

Hmm...dunno if this was actually worthy of a spoiler, but so many people are touchy about this sort of thing...
Old 10-08-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Touchy is right.....

Sound interesting, I just don't know how you could
Spoiler:
be coded with every bit of human information. Any actual scientific explanation of it would come off really bad and thus kill the show. Plus it would limit him from having access to volumes of new information unless he went back to get re-coded. I'm thinking computer chip...but that sounds too easy.
Old 10-08-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
Touchy is right.....

Sound interesting, I just don't know how you could
Spoiler:
be coded with every bit of human information. Any actual scientific explanation of it would come off really bad and thus kill the show. Plus it would limit him from having access to volumes of new information unless he went back to get re-coded. I'm thinking computer chip...but that sounds too easy.
Spoiler:
I think he's just got a wireless internet connection in his head, with a really good built in search engine in his brain.
Old 10-08-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know who did the "techno" song that was playing when Doe was hanggliding?
Old 10-08-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Professor Frink
Oh, you are so right. Don't get me wrong, Jayne Brook is very cute, but Andrea Parker is hella-sexy!
MMMMMMMM legs.

Finally got to see John Doe today. I had to d/l is since it was prempted by baseball on Friday then thanks to football it ran later than it was supposed to on Sunday. Anyways...my drama notwithstanding, I liked it. I didn't care much for the case, but I continue to enjoy John's interaction with the supporting cast. [btw...that computer chick is cute]

Was it me or was Arye Gross' eyes in the rearview mirror at the end? [after they finished burying his characters body]

And it's making me think more & more...first Grace Zabriskie. Now Twin Falls. Is there a Twin Peaks connection?

I know, I know...one could hope, right?