Reload this Page >

Enterprise - 10/2/02

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise - 10/2/02

Old 10-02-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Enterprise - 10/2/02

I don't think they've done any major lasting damage to the fabric of star trek continuity, but all the female cast members kept their clothes on.

Not bad, but nothing spectacular.
Old 10-02-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Not a bad episode, though I have to say, it was really starting to drag there for a while. Great beginning, great end. But the middle was a lot of slow walking and story telling. I know they're trying to make Malcolm's character deeper, but I still think he's just weird. I was kinda hoping he'd be jettisoned and left.
Old 10-02-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why can't they risk using the transporter on Malcolm?

Damn writers...
Old 10-02-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was an interesting episode, and didn't break a major part of Star Trek continuity. In addition, we finally see some mucho damage on the Enterprise.

Why didn't they consider the transporter? They still don't trust 'em.
Old 10-02-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the transporter. If nothing else they could have transported the mine away from the ship.
Old 10-02-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
I was thinking the same thing about the transporter. If nothing else they could have transported the mine away from the ship.
Well sure. You've seen them do all kinds of magic tricks with the transporter. The thing is that it's supposed to be new technology that they haven't quite mastered.
Old 10-03-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think if they tried to transport it, it would have detonated anyway, which would have still damaged the ship.

I agree that the middle got slow for a little, but judging from his first episode, I think John Shiban seems like a good addition to the staff.

Matt
Old 10-03-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yeah, and the Romulan Bird-of-Preys looked awesome. But the part where they were protecting themselves with pod doors was kinda lame.

Matt
Old 10-03-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
any one have no sound at the very beginning?
I had no sound until reed entered the dinning room
good thing it's on again on sunday, better have sound
Old 10-03-02, 07:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 574 Likes on 333 Posts
I agree with much of the above:

(1) No real damage to Trek continuity

(2) A little slow in the third act, but character development is good and it added to my appreciation of Reed

(3) Protecting themselves with pod doors was just plain stupid

(4) from trailer for next week:
Spoiler:
Kind of coincidental that as soon as the ship sustains major damage they run across a highly advanced repair station, isn't it?
Old 10-03-02, 08:54 AM

Pretty good ep. In accordance with das' and my discussions of relative quality, compared to the last episode, it was "Gone with the Wind!"

A few things:

Travis FINALLY did something worthwhile and good to show that his character had a point. Course, they used that stupid joystick like in Insurrection, but what can you do?

The spike going through the leg was unexpected and well-done. As for the whole middle conversation, it was well-written, even if a little slow-paced, and ever since ST2 I've always enjoyed ST and submarine comparisons.

I think Shiban is a good addition to the writing staff, though he may need to stretch the muscles a bit. Having your major characters dealing with 2 major instances in 2 separate places at the same time and communicating via electronic devices has been pretty played out in that OTHER series of his. But he again prvoed he could handle it well with the Romulans about to fire as the mnie explodes and they get the guys on board just in time bit. Pretty good stuff, except for blocking the blast with doors.

I've always liked the "within-Enterprise" continuity. The catain remembers seeing the book on Romulans in the future, though, kinda lame. The line read like they said to Shiban, "the captain remembers from that other episode," so he had to put it in. However, I do like the continuity of the ship being damaged and staying that way for the next ep. Hopefully they'll continue that throughout the season.
Old 10-03-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
I agree with much of the above:

(1) No real damage to Trek continuity

(2) A little slow in the third act, but character development is good and it added to my appreciation of Reed

(3) Protecting themselves with pod doors was just plain stupid

(4) from trailer for next week:
Spoiler:
Kind of coincidental that as soon as the ship sustains major damage they run across a highly advanced repair station, isn't it?

I pretty much agree.
Old 10-03-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may be off base but what happened to the cliff hanger of the captain being stuck in the future? I must have missed a few shows between.
Old 10-03-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Zien
Travis FINALLY did something worthwhile and good to show that his character had a point. Course, they used that stupid joystick like in Insurrection, but what can you do?

I was reminded of the navigator in Galaxy Quest, myself.
Old 10-03-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MvRojo
I think if they tried to transport it, it would have detonated anyway, which would have still damaged the ship.

They could have transported it far enough away and hit warp at the last second so that no damage was done. The ship was only 700 Kilometers aways when it did explode.

What a waste of an episode. a simple transport of the device and it was over. It was a lame plot point with the sole intention of "introducing" us to the Romulans.
Old 10-03-02, 10:02 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

A nice technology note--Was it some 'automatic sealant' that oozed out of his leg-hole or was it blood that oozed out and froze? Either way it was a nice effect.
Old 10-03-02, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by MvRojo
Oh yeah, and the Romulan Bird-of-Preys looked awesome. But the part where they were protecting themselves with pod doors was kinda lame.

Matt
Sorry to nitpick, but it's a Romulan Warbird and Klingon Bird of Prey.

But besides that, I thought the episode was decent, but a little long in the middle, like everyone else said.

My question is this:
Spoiler:
At this point in the Star Trek continuity or whatever, do Vulcans know that Romulans are their cousins? Was Topol intentionally misleading the rest of the crew regarding the Romulans?
Just wondering...
Old 10-03-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually liked last weeks better.

I just couldn't get past the fact that Malcolm knows with NO uncertainty how to disarm the mine. Of a totally NEW race of people that are advanced enough to have cloaking technology. I thought it would be better if he was saying "Lets try pulling that thingy. Oh crap don't do that! Put it back!" They did do that once. But I still couldn't get into it.

I didn't even think of the transporter. Doh!

Why not use a shuttle to grab them up right when they cut through the magnetic leg thing?

I think Malcolm is just strange. Even T'pol has more personality than him.

Last edited by CharlesC; 10-03-02 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-03-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by SiberianLlama

My question is this:
Spoiler:
At this point in the Star Trek continuity or whatever, do Vulcans know that Romulans are their cousins? Was Topol intentionally misleading the rest of the crew regarding the Romulans?
Just wondering...

My guess is they do. It isn't until humans see them that a Vulcan (Spock) feels compelled to explain.
Old 10-03-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
A nice technology note--Was it some 'automatic sealant' that oozed out of his leg-hole or was it blood that oozed out and froze? Either way it was a nice effect.
Yeah that was cool. I assumed that there is some kind of thin liquid layer between layers of the suit. So when there is a breach it kind of works like that fix-a-flat stuff you can spray into a flat tire.
Old 10-03-02, 10:10 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 574 Likes on 333 Posts

My question is this:
Spoiler:
Just wondering...
Spoiler:
I don't think the Vulcans had seen the Romulans yet either. In TOS "Balance of Terror" Spock indicates that he had never seen any Romulans, just as humans had never seen any. (Although Spock does not state that no Vulcan had ever seen a Romulan.) Spock goes on to state, regarding the resemblance to Vulcans, that if the Romulans are somehow genetically related to Vulcans, which seemed likely (to Spock), then they could be very violent because Vulcans were once violent.
Old 10-03-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bando you put the 'dork' in 'trekkie'.
Old 10-03-02, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info Bandoman. I don't remember that episode of the TOS, but I guess that makes sense.
Old 10-03-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Thanks for the info Bandoman. I don't remember that episode of the TOS, but I guess that makes sense.

That is definitely one of the best TOS episodes. Top-5 IMO.
Old 10-03-02, 10:22 AM

Not to sidetrack the thread to much, but could you give me a quick summary of the episode to maybe jog my memory a bit? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.