Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 10/01/02 "Beneath You"

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by chunk
Was I the only one who thought that when Spike stabbed the guy he seemed to kind of flinch out of anticipation for the pain from the chip, but then looked kind of confused as if there was no pain?
I thought he was confused because he didn't expect him to turn back human. But you can be right too. We'll see in the next episodes.

Originally posted by MrN
And I guess he's hearing the slayers he killed and thats why he knows the line from Buffy's dream?
Hmmm... interesting assumption. I was wondering how he knew about Buffy's dream. She looked a bit surprised when he said it too.

Last edited by khieng; 10-02-02 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-02-02, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Was that a wink at Alias at the start?

Originally posted by btlives
I thought that also. And do not even watch Alias.....

Anyways. It was fun a episode. I laughed out loud
a couple of times. Little tired of the Buffy/Spike relationship
going on & on again this season. Glad when Willow
rejoins the gang again. The whole England thing was
a bust IMO.
Glad that others thought that was some kind of reference to Alias. I don't watch the show either and was fearful of getting reamed if I posted it here. But I guess others saw it as well.

I love the show. I miss Willow and I'm preparing for some serious crying when she comes back. I think great things are gonna happen this season, but I sure wouldn't consider the show to be as happy and light as I read that it would be.

It's been pretty heavy stuff so far. But in a good way.
Old 10-02-02, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought it resembled Run Lola Run myself.
Old 10-02-02, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto here. Girl with red hair running in Germany. Run Lola Run came to my mind right away.
Old 10-02-02, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OK, I may have been wrong about Spike

I usually am the one saying "great episode" when others don't - but I have to say I thought this one was very choppy. The High School.....the Worm...Spike's confession.... It really didn't have a flow to it at all. I thought Spike's final speech could have been better, and the whole worm thing was very lame.

Last ep. I said Dawn didn't annoy me, this time she did (just like the old days) especially when she got in Buffy's face over not telling her about seeing Spike.

Oh, well - there is always next week!

Was I the only one who thought that when Spike stabbed the guy he seemed to kind of flinch out of anticipation for the pain from the chip, but then looked kind of confused as if there was no pain?
I agree.

Last edited by Doug Heffernan; 10-02-02 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-02-02, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by zero

Oh, unmistakably a Run Lola Run reference
Old 10-02-02, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i agree. it looked as if he was expecting blinding pain....but got none. which confused him even further. perhaps regaining his soul deactivated the chip?

then again...the govt. put it there. it's probably broken.
Old 10-02-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by zero
Yup, that's what I thought, too. Running, red hair, and the music was almost exactly the same...

I love crazy, wacky Spike. Weirdly edgy.
Old 10-02-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorite line was something along the lines of Spike's "When did your sister become unbelievably scary?"

The look on Dawn's face was so stoic and menacing when she delivered her "You have to sleep, don't you" speech.

BTW, anyone ever think that one of the things that vampires fear (besides beheadings and a stake in the heart) is the "dawn" (of daylight) itself. It makes for a good pun if they ever did elect to go with a Dawn show later.

I thought the last 10-15 minutes where Buffy finally figures out what's wrong/right with Spike were really good drama. I love it when Buffy pieces together the bits of data and comes to the right conclusion. Marster got a juicy bit of dialogue and ran with it. He nailed that scene. SMG's tear at the end was a good touch as Buffy's realization of what's happened to Spike (what he's gone through to recover his soul) hits her just as hard.

Also, I think that with Spike's soul restored, the chip no longer causes him excruciating pain if he causes pain to another human. Sure, he's still got his vamp side, but he's now a vamp with a conscience, so his feelings of guilt is the "new chip in his head" but it now allows him to hit humans without further pain in the brain.
Old 10-02-02, 08:26 AM

To me it really makes no sense to have the chip in his head at this point, his conscience is going to take care of that now. I think all the voices have fried the circuits anyway
Old 10-02-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Forgive as I do not watch Angel, but didn't Darla die in the first season of Buffy? Oh well.

I think James Marsters did a good job acting when he was in the church. If that guy can shake the "Buffy" label, he might have an actual future in acting ahead of him. I thought Anya was funny in her little bit. She is basically a demon that is now riding the fence with no real sense of direction. She tries to be evil once more, but still has good left in her. This might be a major plot point on down the road, especially since Emma Caufield has stated she will not be back should Buffy return for another season (which I hope it doesn't.) Like I said earlier, Dawn was nowhere near as annoying as she was last year, but I don't think she needs a series to herself.
Old 10-02-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Ok, help me out here guys. Are the guys in the hooded cloaks trying to kill those next in line to be the slayer and if so how do they know? No new slayer should be called with one alive and one in jail. Is another being call because of when Buffy died when she was sacrificing herself for Dawn? I am finding these new episodes confusing. I probably am thinking too much
Old 10-02-02, 09:23 AM

They are known as slayers-in-training (waiting) and Watchers know who these girls are going to be when the time comes. Although the 'Lola' one from this epsiode may have only been a dream the previous one was indeed killed.

Was it coincidence? 'Ronny and Nancy'

Last edited by superstringtheory; 10-02-02 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-02-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here I go again with the contrary opinion.

Personally I've found the first two episodes of the new season fairly pedestrian. As someone above mentioned, neither episode "flows" very well. We zip from set piece to set piece while only giving minor attention to the monster-of-the-week plots. And nothing irritates me more than endless recycled monster-of-the-week plots (see "The X-Files" for how NOT to handle these paranormal season fillers). If this is what people want to make Buffy seem more like "the good ol' days," then count me out. We've hopefully moved beyond the time where every episode had to be a rock-em, sock-em throwdown with this week's variant Hellmouth beastie. Those stock fisticuffs and vamp-spikings aren't the reason I come back week after week. I want to see the storylines between the characters progress. Those relationships - torn, frayed and strained as they are right now - are far more important than some stupid were-worm creature.

The weirdness with Spike should be much more involving than it is. I'm just not feeling for him . . . yet. Mostly because he's still a cipher two episodes post-soul return. So far, his unintellible ramblings are just that - completely unintelligible. Only the tinniest fragments of coherent thought were contained in that never-ending (capital-A) Acting capper on last night's episode.

And is it just me or is the sound on these latest episodes just piss-poor? I have to turn the volume on my set nearly to max in order to hear and understand the dialogue between the characters. Half the time, the actors are either mumbling or whispering their lightening-quick, pop-culture spattered lines. Muddying the sound only makes understanding the episodes that much more difficult.

Willow's sabbatical in the UK is a joke. Bring back after-school-special-druggie-Willow before indulging in any more of these angsty reaction shots of the hypothetical "ordeal" she's gone through in the land of tea and crumpets. Willow should have been shown interacting with the coven of elder witches to make that plot thread even remotely worthwhile. Her storyline feels cheap and perfunctory.

Oh, and Anya's a million times more annoying than Dawn ever was. I wasn't particularly enamoured of her character when she was an obsessive compulsive, money-grubbing, rude proto-human. Now that she's gone all vengeance-demon-y again - the "my heart's just not into it" storyline has absolutely no fizz. If Anya's just hanging around to act indignant and hurt any time Xander walks into a room, then just spike her in the chest and be done with it. With Anya's fifth-wheel status now becomeing fairly well established, just kicking around the Buffyverse with no apparent purpose, the death of Tara just rings all the more hollow.

But what's worse is the inevitably contrived manner in which the Scoobies are going to have to pull together and become the same ol' gang. I can't believe that we'll get a realistic Scoobie reunion. All these tensions between the gang will most likely get glossed over when the "big bad" rears its CGI head. I dread its arrival - but obviously not for the typical reasons.

grunter awaits the usual, pithy "if you don't like it, don't watch it" comments sure to follow
Old 10-02-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That seemed pretty clearly to be the reaction. I like how everyone is stating as fact, though, that he still has it.

Personally I really, really enjoyed last night's episode. I think James Marsters is doing a fantastic job so far.
Old 10-02-02, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by grunter
Here I go again with the contrary opinion.

grunter awaits the usual, pithy "if you don't like it, don't watch it" comments sure to follow
You must have REALLY hated last years storyarcs then It seems you're tired of all the characters from what you've described so maybe you just don't enjoy the show anymore. *sigh, hard to believe but alas, it happens.
Old 10-02-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hey, I'll never make the pithy "if you don't like it, don't watch it" comments, because I sat through every season of the X-Files - including those painful final two seasons - like a robotic lemming. At some point, you invest enough time in the development and involvement with the characters that you desperately want the show to be as good as it can be, or at least what you hope it should be.

I've enjoyed both episodes of the new season so far, and as long as Dawn doesn't take a pivotal role I'll like it that much more.

I do agree about the sound levels and mixing. I felt like I was missing, or almost missing, dialogue at times.
Old 10-02-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I thought the title and quote "Beneath You" was interesting because Buffy once told Spike "You're beneath me" which also echoed what his first love told him when he was human.
Old 10-02-02, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Hey, I'll never make the pithy "if you don't like it, don't watch it" comments, because I sat through every season of the X-Files - including those painful final two seasons - like a robotic lemming. At some point, you invest enough time in the development and involvement with the characters that you desperately want the show to be as good as it can be, or at least what you hope it should be.
Same here 12th I hung in and was hope springs eternal til the bitter end. It's funny because even in the last season they did a few very creative episodes that showed "Hey! we still can write" but after Mulder left they REALLY had to top themselves and it just didn't happen. Anderson probably should have left (she was basically walking through her lines anyway) and let Doggett and Reyes establish a some cohesion.

Season five is probably my favorite in X-Files. IMO, Season three in Buffy is hard to compete against for anyone, i mean how can you possibly beat the mayor as a villain?? but I certainly don't frown upon the seasons that follow. Hell, I even liked Adam which I am in a minority I realize. Since I like Whedon, I just go where he takes me and resolve it all at the end of the season, and everytime I haven't been disappointed. I felt the same way about Carter at one point but it doesn't hold up like it does with Whedon.

One thing Carter let happen was the continuity of the mythos fail, especially when introducing William...I doubt that Whedon will let that happen to Buffy. Who knows, tie-in ep? Dawn is really Mulder's sister

Last edited by superstringtheory; 10-02-02 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-02-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, and Anya's a million times more annoying than Dawn ever was....
To each his own, But I really like Anya - sometimes more than any other character!!!!

Last edited by Doug Heffernan; 10-02-02 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-02-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have faith in Whedon, especially if he's intent on ending the series after this season. As much as I love the show, it needs to go out while it still has a semblance of quality.

I hope Whedon doesn't go all Chris Carter ( the bastid ) on our collectives a**es.

Either way, I'm in for the long haul, wishing and hoping for the return of my dear Faith.............
Old 10-02-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I noticed the "Beneath You" tie in with Spike's "origin" in "Fool For Love". But I wonder if they'll revisit the Helfrek-Sessily-Spike-William connection.
Old 10-02-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I only watched the very beginning and the end, but I thought it was an episode of Alias at first (which itself reminds me of Run Lola Run, with all the times Jennifer Garner dons that red or pink wig and runs all over the place). Even the music was straight from Alias...
Old 10-02-02, 12:59 PM

Let's try and keep a perspective on which show was around first before Alias If anything Garner's character has copied more Buffy elements in her persona.

Last edited by superstringtheory; 10-02-02 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by fujishig
I only watched the very beginning and the end, but I thought it was an episode of Alias at first (which itself reminds me of Run Lola Run, with all the times Jennifer Garner dons that red or pink wig and runs all over the place). Even the music was straight from Alias...
I've never seen Alias, but I have seen plenty of pics of Jennifer Garner ( ) , and I always thought they were going for a Lola look for the character.

A German girl with red hair running, with a driving techno beat, is a Lola reference. If it's an Alias reference, it's only because Alias is referencing Lola....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.