Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Teen Titans: The Animated Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teen Titans: The Animated Series

WOW!!!!
StarFire. Cyborg, Raven, Changling and Robin! Looks great!

click here....

Cartoon Network and Kids' WB! on Monday announced the Teen Titans animated series.

The series will feature Robin, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Starfire and Raven Slated to debut on Cartoon Network in 2003, followed by broadcast on Kids' WB!, the half-hour animated action series is being produced by Warner Bros. Animation under the guidance of Emmy Award-winner Glen Murakami.

Here's how the show is described:

"Teen Titans is based on the popular DC Comics comic book characters. Teen Titans, set in a future of intergalactic strife and interplanetary battles, features five teen superheroes each with special powers, led by the Boy Wonder Robin. This group unites to form a defensive force to protect the Earth from a new generation of villains. An eclectic group, their powers complement each other so that when they band together, they become a superb fighting force. Their personalities, on the other hand, often clash. Discovering how to control their powers, these Teen Titans must learn to work and grow as a team while dealing with the trials and tribulations of being teenagers."

"Cartoon Network has experienced great success with Justice League, so we know we have a loyal audience ready to embrace this exciting new show," said Jim Samples, General Manager and Executive Vice President, Cartoon Network. "These DC Comics characters have incredible powers, but struggle with how to use them. Teen Titans will mesh perfectly with our other action-adventure programming and thrill our viewers."

"Teaming up with Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network once again gives us an excellent opportunity to bring our core audience the newest high-adventure series, Teen Titans," said Donna Friedman, Executive Vice President, Kids' WB! "This series will be a perfect addition to our #1 line-up, as it features superhero action-packed adventures, comedy and kid-relatable characters and stories in this exciting new saga."

"The talented individuals producing this series are truly superheroes in the world of animation," said Sander Schwartz, President, Warner Bros. Animation. "Glen and his team will bring Teen Titans to life with all of the excitement and breathtaking quality that our audience has come to expect from Warner Bros. Animation."
Old 09-30-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks horrible, simply horrible. saw it on toonzone this morning... argh... warner brothers never seems to get anything right anymore.
Old 09-30-02, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by nightwing82
looks horrible, simply horrible. saw it on toonzone this morning... argh... warner brothers never seems to get anything right anymore.
hi NightWing82

You saw a full episode? Or some footage? Early to judge it maybe?

Chris
(Titans Perez-era fan)
Old 09-30-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by KissyFurNYC
Chris
(Titans Perez-era fan)
I loved this book back then. The whole Brother Blood storyline kicked MUCH ass. Marv & George were the team supreme. And let's not forget this is the book where Dick became Nightwing. I was wondering what characters they'd use. I'm sure it's due to "rights" issues, but Wonder Girl & Kid Flash should be there too. [BTW...does anyone know if this is Tim or Dick?]

Also, one other thing...PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD use another style of animation! Damn.
Old 09-30-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
yeah.. i have all those perez/wolfman issues and i really enjoyed it. kinda like the jr justice league. i agree it should include donna and wally.. with cameos by speedy. and as far as the brother blood story.. i also like the appearances of the terminator.

the look is a little too cartoony... i wish they stuck with something more along the lines of BtAS.. it looks like they made everyone like harley quinn.

wasn't there an outsiders cartoon in the works?

Last edited by devilshalo; 09-30-02 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 07:46 PM

Vic looks horrible.
Old 09-30-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hi NightWing82

You saw a full episode? Or some footage? Early to judge it maybe?

Chris
(Titans Perez-era fan)
i think the titans rock. i don't like the look of the characters/animation style and especially the way robin looks. i will watch it to confirm i don't like it, just like i did with justice league.
Old 09-30-02, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by nightwing82
i think the titans rock. i don't like the look of the characters/animation style and especially the way robin looks. i will watch it to confirm i don't like it, just like i did with justice league.
I agree the Titans do rock. I have seen the Justice League and give it a thumbs down as well. However it is good for the comic scene as whole for these shows to be a success. The bright cheery anime look is in and as long as it i well animated it should look good. I cant put my finger on it, but i dont like the animation style on J.L. I mean it's good, but I don't know, it is kind of generic. Still it is better than 99 percent of the crap out there, I am sure the Titans will be not badly written. Would be nice if Marv Wolfman got into the act. He is a animation writer, as you know. Romeo Tanghal can do the backgorunds ( he's an animation background artist). However no one can copy Perez' style? LOL! I pity the poor animator who tries!
Old 09-30-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
However it is good for the comic scene as whole for these shows to be a success.
I don't necessarily believe that...and i'll tell you why. These shows that try to appeal to a broad audience lose something in their translations. Rarely are these shows handled by actual comic fans/people that actually care about the characters. [the latest example being Birds Of Prey -- and this is based on seeing the show] In the old days I would agree that some comic book elements would be impossible to reproduce based on the technology of the time, but that is no longer true. So that means that if these shows are successful, the companies will try to carry that over to the books themselves...

Back in the day, the story was dictated by the creators [with some editorial interference]. Nowadays it seems to go from creator to shareholders/suits to editor to printed page.

Sad.

The bright cheery anime look is in and as long as it i well animated it should look good. I cant put my finger on it, but i dont like the animation style on J.L. I mean it's good, but I don't know, it is kind of generic.
Umm...to me, the Teen Titans looks just like JL & BtAS.
Old 09-30-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Also, one other thing...PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD use another style of animation! Damn.

Agreed. This looks even worse than that tenny-bopper X-men thing that the WB is running. Giving it that overused, angular, "Ameri-me" style would even be an improvement.

Teen Titans was one of the few DC books I really enjoyed back in the day (early 80's). They were evey bit as realistic and cool as the X-Men. Now they look like rejects from Dexter's Laboratory.
Old 10-01-02, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. Looks terrible.

I understand making some adjustments for TV, but come on....

Why do they look so young? I liked them being 19-ish. They look 12 here. And why does Vic look so happy? Why did they do that to Raven's costume; she's got that hoochie-Mama bottom. Isn't that wrong for Raven? And what happened to Starfire's breasts?

I can't believe no one else is up in arms about these issues. Please people, at least half of us read that series at least partly because of Kory's breasts.
Old 10-01-02, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as a diehard titans fan from back in the glory era of perez/wolfman, all i have to say is yuck!!! that looks absolutely craptastic. i may watch an episode or two just to see what the quality level is like but somehow i don't think my interest will last.
Old 10-01-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Laertes
I can't believe no one else is up in arms about these issues. Please people, at least half of us read that series at least partly because of Kory's breasts.
Kory had breasts?? Never noticed.
Old 10-02-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
I don't mind the character designs so much. I think doing a realistic looking cartoon (as opposed to the more recent Batman Animated style) is a lot harder to pull off, as the lack of detail in the animated style really makes the animation look a lot smoother. For example, the X-men Cartoon from a few years ago was in a more traditional comic book style, but the animation was in general terrible.

What worries me is this:

"set in a future of intergalactic strife and interplanetary battles"

huh? So where did Robin come from? Is this going to be set in a Batman Forever kind of setting? I also noticed that they used none of the other sidekicks that originally made up the cast.

The Wolfman/Perez era of Teen Titans was incredible... it consistently rivaled X-men in sales and was always at the top of the charts. I have major doubts that they'll be able to use any of the stories with this setting, however. At least they're not using the current cast in the comic...
Old 10-04-02, 10:22 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

This may be off topic, but I'm a comic book geek and I haven't read much DC. I love team books and was wondering what are the best issues of the Teen Titans to read. Also, what are some other really good runs on team books? I've read a lot of JLA, but were there any really good runs on JLA before Giffen/Dematteis?
Old 10-05-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Hmm, I like this style. I hope it kicks ass.
Old 10-05-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by nny
This may be off topic, but I'm a comic book geek and I haven't read much DC. I love team books and was wondering what are the best issues of the Teen Titans to read.
With the Teen Titans, ANY & ALL books by the team of Wolfman/Peréz are must reads.
Also, what are some other really good runs on team books? I've read a lot of JLA, but were there any really good runs on JLA before Giffen/Dematteis?
As far as DC goes, JSA is pretty good. So is Young Justice. I've heard that Legion Of Super Heroes is good, but there's TOO MUCH history for me to get into it. If you're ambitious, feel free. I wasn't really reading JLA before the Giffen/Dematteis/Maguire days so I can't tell you about that. But, Grant Morrison's run was really good.
Old 10-06-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nny
This may be off topic, but I'm a comic book geek and I haven't read much DC. I love team books and was wondering what are the best issues of the Teen Titans to read. Also, what are some other really good runs on team books?
you mean you never got this?

well.. it was back in '83

i really liked the whole tara markov/terminator/changling storyline that ran into robin becoming nightwing.
Old 05-03-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they show a little sneak preview on KidsWB today. It looks ok, sorta mixing the humor of Static Shock with more of an anime Batman Beyond look. I'll give it a chance. Showed nothing of Cyborg in action. The scene was of Robin, Starfire, Changeling and Raven taking on.. Clayface? Or a Clayface type monster.

Funny tho, how they're bringing in all these top guest stars for Static. Batman and today, Superman. I really wish they would just bring back their series instead of all these guest starring roles.