Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

9/19/02--Survivor: Thailand

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I am surprised that they could not figure that she wasn't very intelligent before they assigned her to the puzzle task. That is usually something you pick up on within minutes or hours of meeting a new person.
I agree that I wouldn't have assigned that puzzle to her--but maybe she insisted. I probably would have given the puzzle to an older member who liked mind games. And I would have given the "unhooking the flag underwater" to the Navy swim instructor.
Old 09-20-02, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Struz
[B]Kelly deserved to win Survivor 1.
Do you remember Greg's pick a number game to pick the winner ?
His vote gave Richard the win.
Do people STILL believe that Greg REALLY did the "pick a number" thing? It was obvious to me that he only prefaced his vote like that to be funny, but he had his mind made up. In fact, there was some interview where Greg admitted that Rich had played the better game (and probably had decided his vote ahead of time).

Greg was going to vote for Rich no matter WHAT numbers Rich/Kelly had chosen.
Old 09-20-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watching that boneheaded skater-guy get voted off is going to be immensely satisfying.
Old 09-20-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't understand why they were all ripping on Jan for her team choices. It looked to me like her very first pick happened to be the biggest guy of the lot, and then she had to pick a woman, etc.

Anyway, I had to laugh when the so-called "young" team was losing to the "old" team. Maybe they are younger, but that team also seems more stupid and like they will be at each other's throats more.

I was surprised they booted John off, but can't say I blame them-- no one likes a religious know-it-all who tries to boss everyone in the beginning.
Old 09-20-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
I was surprised they booted John off, but can't say I blame them-- no one likes a religious know-it-all who tries to boss everyone in the beginning.
Other than when they all said what hteir occupation was, did he even bring up religion once? I don't remember him doing it at all.
Old 09-20-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Watching that boneheaded skater-guy get voted off is going to be immensely satisfying.
I'm with you brother. I don't even care who wins. I just want this guy gone. He's screwed unless the physical challenges involve doing kickflips and grinding rails on a skateboard.
Old 09-20-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by juiio
Other than when they all said what hteir occupation was, did he even bring up religion once? I don't remember him doing it at all.
No, he never did bring up religion. I think it's unfair to characterize him as a religious nut. But he was kind of a know-it-all. Or maybe he was just over-enthusiastic. Either way, when you read the kind of experience he had, it looks like a bad idea to vote him off this early in the game.
Old 09-20-02, 06:24 PM

You guys are really not remembering previous Survivor seasons. The strong willed, muscular guys are voted off, leaving the leftovers of society bidding for a chance at the million dollars.

Robb will most likely be in the top 3.
Old 09-20-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DTSC
I'm with you brother. I don't even care who wins. I just want this guy gone. He's screwed unless the physical challenges involve doing kickflips and grinding rails on a skateboard.
He was voted #1 eligible bachelor in Arizona. That makes the rest of us living here feel really bad for ourselves. Do woman really find him to be attractive? He seems to say "dude" every other word and his face looks like Tommy Lee's if it was run over by a truck.

I still think they should find some other cool thing to do at the end of the 1st show and not kick a person off until the 2nd show. You have no real feel for the show and the people and then they kick someone off already.

Other than the skateboard retard, I really didn't want to see anyone go yet.
Old 09-20-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I thought Robb was cute until he opened his mouth. Now he's just obnoxious. There you go, official female word
Old 09-20-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy
He was voted #1 eligible bachelor in Arizona. That makes the rest of us living here feel really bad for ourselves. Do woman really find him to be attractive? He seems to say "dude" every other word and his face looks like Tommy Lee's if it was run over by a truck.

I still think they should find some other cool thing to do at the end of the 1st show and not kick a person off until the 2nd show. You have no real feel for the show and the people and then they kick someone off already.

Other than the skateboard retard, I really didn't want to see anyone go yet.
Yeah, well, you've got a lot of dimwitted sluts in Arizona, and most likely whatever poll it was that voted this IQ-challenged primadonna as the #1 bachelor was comprised of a majority of these sluts.
Old 09-20-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, well, you've got a lot of dimwitted sluts in Arizona

Watch your "mouth"
Old 09-21-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, well, you've got a lot of dimwitted sluts in Arizona
Now I know where I'm going on my vacation.
Old 09-21-02, 07:23 AM

Now I know where I'm going on my vacation.
Old 09-21-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, he never did bring up religion. I think it's unfair to characterize him as a religious nut. But he was kind of a know-it-all. Or maybe he was just over-enthusiastic. Either way, when you read the kind of experience he had, it looks like a bad idea to vote him off this early in the game.
You mean, not once in the 44 minutes of footage that the editors showed us, he did not bring up religion unce.

You are forgetting that these people spent a few days with him non-stop where he could have said just about anything.

The editors liked to make his eviction a surprise to the viewers so they obviously only showed footage that pointed to Ghandia's eviction. They obviously did not show footageof the tribe talking about John and the various things he may have done to set them off.

Remember this is a TV show and there's lots more that happened on the cutting-room floor.
Old 09-21-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Taking religion out of the picture, if you watch the show, they do show and allude to instances of John having problems with the others. I don't think his career or religion plays into it (though it might, we have not seen evidence of it).

Clearly:
1. There are some issues with John assuming a leadership role. It does not appear others are comfortable with it. Perhaps he deserves it based on his skills and experiences, but it *seems* like it's a bit early to me to grab the leadership. Now this may be related to his career, because a pastor (like a school teacher) is someone used to providing leadership. Nothing wrong with that, but it looks like too much when people are feeling their way through the social dynamics.
2. The group is not happy that John decides to do the rock climbing instead of going with the group. I am not sure why the group as a whole had to go look for water. Seems more efficient to send a smaller team, but in any case, the group was going except John decided to go his own way. Not good to show a non-group mentality this early. There is also some concern over him injuring himself.
3. The "joke" at the water hole. Clearly there is irritation at John over this, and at John (and company) not rowing out to the swimmers.
4. Prior to the vote, the shorter guy, Clay, was asked by Probst about friction and the camera cuts to John and Clay mentions problems with people going off and doing something other than what the group has decided to do. Probst then asks John about how things are going, and John says he finds it incredibly easy.

Anyway, I still think the tribe is stooopid for not first voting off the weakest links. The first phase is all about winning the contests and Ghandia should be Gone. John maybe difficult to get along with, but he was stronger and worked better under pressure.

I was rooting for the Chuay Gahn team as the underdogs to the cocky Sook Jais...but Ghandia cost them big time. Why did she not even look over at the other guy and follow his lead. She would have only been behind the other team by seconds then.
Old 09-21-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The other issue is about alliances. Why did Helen not vote along the group lines? That would seem to be silly for her come the next vote. One might quickly become the outcast.

Note, when being a survivor, do not admit to having success back home. This is not the first time someone has been voted against "because they don't need the money.."

I can't wait to see how useful the skateboard is on the beach.
Old 09-21-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
Why did she not even look over at the other guy and follow his lead. She would have only been behind the other team by seconds then.
That would have been cheating
Old 09-22-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RandyC

Anyway, I still think the tribe is stooopid for not first voting off the weakest links. The first phase is all about winning the contests and Ghandia should be Gone. John maybe difficult to get along with, but he was stronger and worked better under pressure.

I was rooting for the Chuay Gahn team as the underdogs to the cocky Sook Jais...but Ghandia cost them big time. Why did she not even look over at the other guy and follow his lead. She would have only been behind the other team by seconds then.
Yeah, that mental challenge was hilarious after she let that huge lead evaporate then she could barely cut the flag down once she finished the challenge twenty minutes after she started!

I agree, if only she had followed his lead, then they could have won the challenge - throughout they were the stronger rowing team. I believe John helped them out there with his direction. Not a very smart move to keep her around - but I've only watched the second version of the show, and there's potential strategy there???

This should be a good one.
Old 09-22-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't see the interest in the new season. Same as all the rest. However, I hope Thai can turn this franchise around.
Old 09-23-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Religion never once came up during the 1st show.
Did you see the uncut version of the 1st show ?
If so, please tell us how John was preaching and ordering everyone around ?

Aren't liberals so compassionate ?

Last edited by Struz; 09-23-02 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-23-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Religion never once came up during the 1st show.
Did you see the uncut version of the 1st show ?
If so, please tell us how John was preaching and ordering everyone around ?

Aren't liberals so compassionate ?
You're right, I'm sure the producers showed us every possible detail about John that lead to his booting off.

Nice personal jab at me, but aren't you a little trusting in the media?
Old 09-23-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Survivor's 1st 6 boot-offs has always been about playing the "politics of the weak" game. That's why John got the boot.

So what's the mystery of Clay (who would not divulge his occupation)? Is he really just an older rich dude? A sociopath?

I loved how Tanya rolled her eyes at tribal council when the used car salesman was going on with the "don't judge a book by its cover" spiel.

I didn't love seeing Tanya puking every 5 minutes of running time on this first episode.

Ghandi will be a huge liability for her tribe. Hope she goes soon (but I doubt it). She's got that whole Oprah vibe going on with her tribe. Too bad.

Will Shiian be successful in getting Robb booted on the SJ tribe? Robb is one idiotic dude.
Old 09-23-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're right, I'm sure the producers showed us every possible detail about John that lead to his booting off.

Nice personal jab at me, but aren't you a little trusting in the media?

I just would like to know how you determined that John was a "religious nut that ordered everyone around" ?

Can't you answer this directly ?
Old 09-23-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just would like to know how you determined that John was a "religious nut that ordered everyone around" ?

Can't you answer this directly ?
Maybe because I never said that?

I believe the phrase I used was "religious know-it-all", where the main thing was that he was a "know-it-all" and religious was an adjective further qualifying the statement.

My point was that no one likes a know-it-all, and coupling that superiority with a religious bent makes that person seem even more "superior" than the rest of them.

Maybe you'd like to answer why you keep personally attacking me for expressing my opinions? Do we share some of this superiority complex?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.