Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad, bad Farscape news. (show cancelled)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bad, bad Farscape news. (show cancelled)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
joshualane, you do make some good points.

But, Farscape was the networks showcase show, it was the show that proved that the network could be a showcase for inventive original programming, it was the once show that kept the network in the mainstream press. When you're minor network, you pray for a show that can get you this kind of press and devoted following so that you can build upon it, even if its a money losing proposition, it gives you something to build upon.

The WB wouldn't be the network it is today hadn't it sheparded Buffy along at a financial lose for so long. Where was the WB before Buffy? Urban sitcoms...now its a demographics powerhouse.

Eventually the WB did let go of Buffy, but that was because it had the properties to go on without it, Sci-Fi does not. Stargate is in its last season and there original programing is nil.

Farscape was the only thing I watched on Sci-Fi (and I'm sure I'm not alone in that) so once Farscape is gone I won't have any need to watch the show.....you know, unless I really want to watch Crocodile 3.
Old 09-08-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simcoe was in the chatroom last night and led us to believe EM.TV is a driving force in the show's demise (they own Henson). He also said Pilot had already been packed up and put in a box, and that tomorrow would be his last day at work.

On the positive side, however, the campaign to save the show popped up incredibly quickly (thanks to the heads up Friday night) and seems to be gaining legitimate momentum.

das
Old 09-08-02, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
joshualane, you do make some good points.

But, Farscape was the networks showcase show, it was the show that proved that the network could be a showcase for inventive original programming, it was the once show that kept the network in the mainstream press. When you're minor network, you pray for a show that can get you this kind of press and devoted following so that you can build upon it, even if its a money losing proposition, it gives you something to build upon.

The WB wouldn't be the network it is today hadn't it sheparded Buffy along at a financial lose for so long. Where was the WB before Buffy? Urban sitcoms...now its a demographics powerhouse.

Eventually the WB did let go of Buffy, but that was because it had the properties to go on without it, Sci-Fi does not. Stargate is in its last season and there original programing is nil.

Farscape was the only thing I watched on Sci-Fi (and I'm sure I'm not alone in that) so once Farscape is gone I won't have any need to watch the show.....you know, unless I really want to watch Crocodile 3.
I totally agree with everything you're saying and think it's VERY stupid for them to cancel Farscape, especially considering the high number of fans who won't watch the network anymore because of it. Personally, I never watched Sci-Fi before Stargate SG-1 came on the network, but always knew that Farscape was their tentpole show and with Lexx gone, was their ONLY tentpole show.

The WB did let Buffy go when it had other shows like Dawsons, etc to keep it's viewers, not to mention the fact that Smallville became a huge hit and supplanted Buffy nicely. Stargate SG-1 will certainly retain some good viewers for Sci-Fi, especially if it gets a 7th season which looks like that may happen. Also, don't forget the Dead Zone repeats, the Children of Dune mini-series is coming, along with the Taken mini-series and the eventual Tremors series so those could also bring in some viewers. Granted, all 3 of those could bomb and leave Sci-Fi with nothing which is a big risk that I don't think the network should be taking either.

I think, that if it's EM TV who's pulling out then perhaps another FX company like Stan Winston Studios could replace them. If that's the case and Sci-Fi wishes to keep the series, then hopefully another company will come on board and take over. With the reputation Farscape has, it doesn't seem too unlikely.
Old 09-08-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The whole thing just doesn't make much sense from Sci-Fi's perspective. Farscape is the show that put them on the map. Sure, I watched Star Trek and Quantum Leap repeats on Sci-Fi, but when they put together Farscape and started airing Babylon 5, that's when I started paying attention. It was Farscape that brought me to I-Man. It was Farscape that brought me to The Chronicle. It was Farscape that had me tuning into whatever Sci-Fi was doing. I was involved with the station, I was watching it on a regular basis, I was interested in new programming.

Now, one by one, they've picked off everything that built from that. But making even less sense than killing all their other shows is killing a show that's consistently dominated their ratings and been praised by critics (both genre and mainstream) as the best science fiction show on television.

As you guys have alluded to, someone like ABC can get away with canning Once & Again, and FOX can get away with canning The Family Guy, because they have so many other shows that people watch and many more on the way that will likely draw viewers. It sucks, but from a business perspective, there's at least something there.

When Sci-Fi loses Farscape, they'll lose a significant portion of their viewers entirely. They're a cable channel, buried in my DirecTV line-up. I cannot avoid watching ABC no matter how much they piss me off. But it's easy to just forget about a channel like Sci-Fi, tune out and not come back. Now if they do create some badass show, who's going to know about it? The remaining SG-1 fans? Those who don't watch The Dead Zone on USA?

It's just mind-boggling. It pissed me off when they cancelled I-Man. It was downright stupid to pass on the well-established fanbase for Rangers. If they let this happen, I don't know what word accurately represents just how moronic these people are.

das
Old 09-08-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Simcoe just dropped by the chat before heading off to film his final scenes. He mentioned that Conan O'Brien was a huge fan of the show ... I smell letter-writing campaign. Maybe he can help with some press.

das
Old 09-08-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, people in contact with Rockne say that he's confirmed Sci-Fi is responsible. They demanded Henson drop the cost of the show, Henson said no, and Sci-Fi pulled the plug bailing on their promise to commission seasons 4 and 5 at $700,000 per episode. I hate that there's only on science fiction station in the US and is run by morons.

das
Old 09-08-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Along those lines, Rockne's complete response:

I'm still reeling from the cancellation, am touched beyond words by the outpouring of love and support from all the fans. Very importantly, I want to make it crystal clear to everyone that despite what Anthony said, EM-TV is only a tangental player in the demise of Farscape. The Sci-Fi Channel chose not to pick up the series for season 5, period. To say that they want the show is completely false. Please don't let the real story get clouded. Writing letters to EM-TV in German won't hurt, but it shouldn't be the focus of anyone who is moved to protest.
das
Old 09-08-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice, way to go O'Bannon.

I have all the respect in the world for DK, but its nice to see someone step up and say "It's Sci-Fi's fault!"
Old 09-08-02, 08:47 PM

I can't add anything to what's already been said other than to just shake my head in disgust at Scifi's decision.

If I say anything else I may get banned for what I say about that pitiful excuse for a network.

Chris
Old 09-08-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wandered in here and got the news for the first time. I don't think I have ever been this upset about the cancellation of a show... ever.
Old 09-08-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More from Rockne:

In additional to letter/fax/etc. campaigns aimed at the Sci-Fi Channel, fans should also express their passion about the show to UPN, TNT, and Showtime.

UPN is actively seeking a science fiction companion piece to Enterprise, and Farscape airing with a hit like Enterprise could keep it on for years to come.

TNT is looking for a new genre series, now that Witchblade is off, and an award-winning, "the best sf series on tv" with a built-in audience might really appeal to them. TNT has expressed some initial interest in the idea of bringing the series over to their network, and a flood of fan support would
certainly help there.

And Showtime is clearly a place where science fiction has a healthy home (Odyssey 5, Jeremiah) and they may also take a serious look if there were a strong enough demand shown for it.

I know there's been a scattering of postings on message boards about writing to other networks, but most fans are directing their attention solely to Sci-Fi Channel, and with the current regime at Sci-Fi, it's a long shot that they'll reverse themselves.

I'd love to see fans aiming their passion at these other networks, as well. If ...[you] could get the word out that the head of drama development at these three networks should also be given the full-court press as much as the Sci-Fi Channel, it might really mean something.
das
Old 09-09-02, 03:45 AM

So . . . now that this has really sunk in, I've realized that season 4 will probably end on a cliffhanger that never gets answered (I mean, if they're tearing down the sets, then they've filmed the last eps, right?)

Those bastrds!

Mostly because I think it will be easy, I'm boycotting the scifi channel. It sucks.

tasha
Old 09-09-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
I told you ****ers.
Certainly this was in the heat of the moment. But, das, was that entirely necessary?
Old 09-09-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tasha88
So . . . now that this has really sunk in, I've realized that season 4 will probably end on a cliffhanger that never gets answered (I mean, if they're tearing down the sets, then they've filmed the last eps, right?)

tasha
Wow, that's a very good point. I never thought of that. This absolutely amazing series with it's extremely intricate plotlines, a show that simple things that happen in season 1 have repercussions 3 years later, will have absolutely no closure.

Daaaaammn this sucks.
Old 09-09-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The Sci Fi channel has officially weighed in at their website's "Sci Fi Wire". They attribute the cancellation to an inability to "grow the show beyond its fanbase."

Their site must be getting pounded, because it's taking forever to load. Here's a link.

Last edited by Fielding Mellish; 09-09-02 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-09-02, 10:22 AM

"grow the show beyond its fanbase."

I thought the scifi channel was supposed to be a niche channel--not for everybody, but a place where people who like science fiction could find something to watch. I think they would rather have a larger market and quit showing scifi than cater to scifi viewers.

As I mentioned before, I think they suck.

tasha
Old 09-09-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The remaining new episodes of Farscape's fourth season will return in January 2003.
What they don't mention here is they pulled the plug before all episodes could be filmed. According to Simcoe, they had finished episode 22 already and were working on 17 when they got "the call." No word on how many gaps there are and if/how they'll be filled.

das
Old 09-09-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"There are no bigger fans of Farscape than we here at SCI FI Channel," the network said in a statement. "It was one of SCI FI's first original series and quickly became a critical and fan favorite. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to reach a broader audience, Farscape has been unable to grow beyond its core fan base. That, coupled with the extreme and growing cost of production, has led to the difficult decision to end the series at the conclusion of season four."

Their "best efforts" apparently involve pulling the show off the air for six months, with 4 episodes still to go in season 3. Brilliant move, that.
Old 09-09-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

das, they were working on episode 17? Is this a typo on your part, or is there gonna be a hole where 17 belonged?
Old 09-09-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>das, they were working on episode 17? Is this a typo on your part, or is there gonna be a hole where 17 belonged? <HR SIZE=1>

The bigger question: will there be a hole where 18-21 belonged?

Hopefully with Monday finally upon us we can get some more concrete information from the parties involved. It sounds very bad though.

das
Old 09-09-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
The bigger question: will there be a hole where 18-21 belonged?
While it's definitely too early to know for sure at this point, I don't think there are going to be any holes in the run of season 4. From the chat where the cancellation was announced:

[DK] Good question.
[DK] At the moment, the whole deal hinges on what to do with the
[DK] first 88 eps.
[DK] Perhaps a network would be interested in running
[DK] a 5th and 6th year of Farscape --
[DK] and you should know
[DK] we have the 5th season already plotted out --
[DK] however, without the right to air the first 88
[DK] eps, they'd be hard pressed to provide financing and see no return
[DK] for years because Sci Fi has the rights to the first 88.

David Kemper (DK) keeps referring to 88 episodes (4 seasons of 22).
Old 09-09-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pretty darned amazing. I really wish they would rename the channel at this point, as most of what they've done lately has been a gross insult to any legitimate SciFi fans. Make way for some new upstart to give the genre its due.

I'm very bitter that they pulled the plug on a great show.

And I'm seething that they've screwed up the storylines... That the last ep of the season--part of a two-year ongoing arc--was filmed before they were canned...

B5's arcs were squashed-and-stretched by the suits. Looks like Farscape's gonna get it even worse. A crippled last 5 eps, and a dead-stop cliffhanger.

Last edited by adamblast; 09-09-02 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-09-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope you're right. They do keep referring to that 88 number, which is a good sign. Simcoe was on location filming episode 17 when they started tearing down the sets. When he made it to the chatroom that evening, he said they had filmed episode 22 already and was concerned how they'd finish the other episodes. Shooting supposedly ends on Wednesday. How much they've already shot for 17-21 is unknown (to me). Hopefully they have enough to work with to assemble those final episodes.

das
Old 09-09-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you really want to piss them off, call this number 212-413-5000, an operator will forward you to viewer comments where the mailbox of course will be full. Hit *T to get to another menu, then *A for "Mailbox by Last Name". Enter "VITAL" for Tom Vitale, VP of Acquisitions, Programming, and Horseshit. His secretary will pick up. Yell at her.

das
Old 09-09-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to suggest forwarding on all emails, etc to your local cable company. If the rumblings elict some response from them it will mean more than our outcry. There is vicious competition for cable slots and they can't afford to have us petioning to drop them from the line-ups.

*edited to add that the links to both the story of the cancellation and the feedback at SciFi.com are coming up "page not found" so I would guess they are getting hammered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.