TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Save Eastenders!

Old 08-23-02, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save Eastenders!

One of my all-time favorite shows is the British soap Eastenders. It currently airs on BBCAmerica two-weeks behind the UK airing.

Recently, BBCAmerica has pulled the show from it's Sunday timeslot to Friday afternoons when no one is watching. After much viewer response they will move the show to Saturdays, but they are threatening to pull the show off air at the end of the year, due to low ratings.

The problem is, no one believes the ratings are low at all, and BBCAmerica is trying to pull a "fast-one" on the viewers because they want to launch the show on their Video-On-Demand service coming soon. This means fans will have to pay to watch, over and above what they already pay to subscribe to digital cable or satellite to get the channel.

Will you please help us save the show on BBCAmerica? There is a petition you can sign at http://www.bbcamerica.us/. It already has well over 1300 signatures and it's growing daily.

Thanks!!
Maria *meow*
Old 08-24-02, 12:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Done. I watch it on occassion, what is this Video on demand stuff you talk off with regard to BBC America?
Old 08-24-02, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

BBCAmerica Video on Demand will be a separate BBC channel offered to digital cable and satellite subscribers, allowing the viewer to pay to see Eastenders (and other BBC programming) before it's aired on the regular BBCAmerica channel. You can read more about it at http://www.bbcamerica.us/vod.html .

I have two problems with this. First, BBCAmerica is obviously lying to the viewers about low ratings for Eastenders, because they wouldn't risk a multi-million dollar VOD deal on a show that no one watches. The last time BBCAmerica released any kind of ratings info, Eastenders was their top 3 show.

Secondly, I fear this is the way television is going. It's not enough that we already pay $50/month for digital cable (and that doesn't include any pay channels like HBO), and now they think we will pay even more.

This has the potential of going far beyond BBCAmerica. Once the first channel gets this going, I think many other cable channels will follow.

Maria *meow*