TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Catholic League Blasts Viacom

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Catholic League Blasts Viacom

From IMDb 8/21:

The president of the Catholic League, the nation's largest Catholic lay organization, has accused Viacom of engaging in a "pattern of corporate abuse" against Catholics. Citing the airing of a movie adaptation of the play, Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All for You, on Viacom-owned Showtime, an episode of South Park dealing with pedophilia on Viacom-owned Comedy Central channel, and a recent radio broadcast on WNEW radio in New York in which the producer of a morning show described a simulated sex act in St. Patrick's cathedral to the disc jockeys on the air, Catholic League President William Donohue said in a statement. "The time has come for [Viacom Chairman Sumner] Redstone to ... start acting like a responsible corporate leader by telling his subordinates to cease and desist in their attacks on Catholicism. Just as Enron is now synonymous with corporate irresponsibility in the energy sector, Viacom is fast becoming synonymous with corporate irresponsibility in the broadcasting sector."

They should know better than to say anything about South Park, that just adds fuel to their fire.

I guess these guys havn't heard Howard Stern's impression of the Pope molesting little boys. That would really freak these dorks out.
Old 08-21-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As a practicing Catholic, I have to say the Catholic League is off their rocker.

Granted, none of the examples cited are positive examples of actions against the Catholic religion, to suggest that its a corporate policy against Catholics is just plain ignorant.
Old 08-21-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outraged by Cynthia McKinney losing in yesterday's primary, it appears stupid people are on the move again.

You know why Viacom has more instances of making fun of the Catholic religion than others? Beacuse they're friggin' huge.

I think it's time for Dubya to come out and demand Viacom act like a "responsible corporate leader" and tell subordinates to "cease and desist" hating America. Yep. They hate America. Ever seen Letterman on Viacom's CBS ... or South Park or The Daily Show, both on Viacom's Comedy Central. They're always making jokes about the President ... the President of these fine United States.

I won't even get into Viacom's endorsement of Satan. See, they own Blockbuster, and Blockbuster carries films that contain liberal usage of Rock 'N' Roll and ... oh dear ... dancing. That's right, folks ... dancing. CMT, BET, VH1, MTV (well, not MTV, they don't play music) ... all Viacom!!!

Ya know, it's bad enough that the Catholic Church is in a state that sets them up for comic ridicule, but issuing statements like this makes them look even worse. Perhaps their strategy is to focus people's ire more on stupid stuff like this than molet(er)ing little kids.

das
Old 08-21-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I can't wait for the next batch of South Park episodes. They are going to light these guys up.
Old 08-21-02, 02:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Let's make a deal: Viacom will stop attacking Catholicism when Catholic Priests stop attacking little boys, mmm'kay?

Last week's "South Park" was even more irreverant to athiests than it was Catholics, and you don't see me complaining.
Old 08-22-02, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Let's make a deal: Viacom will stop attacking Catholicism when Catholic Priests stop attacking little boys, mmm'kay?

Last week's "South Park" was even more irreverant to athiests than it was Catholics, and you don't see me complaining.
Boy, Groucho besides picking the name of my favorite marx brother your right on this one.

I really think Bill Donohaue (The president of the catholic league) is off his rocker. Maybe he should be more concerned about priests molesting children and the aftermath of this. It's a damn shame when parents have to worry about leaving their children alone with priests.
Old 08-22-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I am a practicing Catholic, too, and I always think the Catholic League is off their rocker...this isn't Fifteenth Century Spain...it may be the largest Catholic lay organization, but it is also the most conservative, imo. The Catholic Church would not be having the problems they are having with the clergy if they would just let priests marry, the clergy's numbers would go up and they could throw Father Chester the Molester and all of his damn brothers out of the clergy and in prison where they belong.

That was the stupidest thing in the world mentioning South Park - South Park rips apart everybody and everything at anytime, no holds barred, that's its appeal, and if people in the Catholic League quit watching Touched by an Angel and Murder She Wrote re-runs they would know this.
Old 08-22-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
no offense intended to those of you who like Murder She Wrote re-runs and Touched by an Angel.

they just have way too much time on their hands and want to feel relevant.

Last edited by B.A.; 08-22-02 at 09:42 AM.