Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dog Eat Dog just lost a viewer

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dog Eat Dog just lost a viewer

I just finished watching Dog Eat Dog on NBC. What a great concept for a show. Unfortunately, for me they made a fatal mistake in not clarifying an answer, which resulted in the group winning when they should have still had only a 50/50 chance. Sucks, because I was really intrigued when it came on, too.

Here's the letter I wrote to NBC at [email protected] for the details (I encourage anyone else who may have been peeved by this to write as well):

To who it may concern,

I wanted to voice my extreme displeasure at the resolution of the final question during the just aired Dog Eat Dog. The final question asked contestant Steve which President said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". He replied, "Roosevelt".

The host made no attempt to ask which Roosevelt he was referring to, since most people know there are two Presidents that have had that last name (Franklin and Theodore). By not asking for a first name, she gave him better odds at winning for his group. This was extremely unfair, and any show that can let such a common sense stipulation pass can only speak to how it will handle questionable situations in the future.

I hope you will do the right thing and compensate the last-standing contestant somehow for failing to clarify whom Steve meant. Although I became excited when flipping through the channels and seeing this new show (which was certainly interesting and had potential), you have lost a potential viewer for Dog Eat Dog as a result of how this was handled.

Thank you for your time.

-------------------------------------

Some of you may find this anal, but speaking of my own feelings it just...really ticked me off. Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 07-29-02, 09:20 PM

Good call. I didn't even notice that slip in the answer process. That was a real blunder on NBC's part.
Old 07-29-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I noticed it right off the bat. I thought she was going to ask him which one, but she never did. Actually, i think the only reason that guy said Roosevelt is because he probably knew that there were 2 of them.

The guy who lost the money should be paid.
Old 07-29-02, 09:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Interesting. I imagine that had she asked him to clarify, he would have known...but she didn't. I agree that they need to pay both the "Top Dog" and "Dog Pound" on this one. She may be a hottie, but she's a crappy host.

I was angry about this show, but not because of that...because of that modest chick who wouldn't show her goods!!!
Old 07-29-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Groucho

I was angry about this show, but not because of that...because of that modest chick who wouldn't show her goods!!!

That chick had the damn_hottest lips ever. I kept looking at them sideways
Old 07-29-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They could have just edited that portion out. Devil's advocate here people.
Old 07-29-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the shows pretty flakey as it is. does it need to get deeper? let it be at that.
Old 07-30-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed about that! That guy got ripped off. I though they would at least make the guy say which Roosevelt. Really unprofessional.
Old 07-30-02, 01:19 AM

the girl who answered "Asia" to the question "Which country in the America's has the largest land mass?".... that woman should be shot...

I am sure the host and the judges (if there are some) were just happy that he got the last name of the President correct...
Old 07-30-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
The show may not have the best concept (I hate it how some contestants don't have to do a challenge at all and IMO I think they should give more time on some of those challanges they're pretty damn hard) and they may screw up on questions like that but theres no way I'll stop watching it becasue Brooke Burns is ridiculously hot
Old 07-30-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Maybe they just needed to let the dog pound win one for a change since every time the dog pound is screwed out. and considering the top dog doesn't have to answer shyte. I would give the point to the dog pound and accept the answer as it was.
Old 07-30-02, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Maybe they just needed to let the dog pound win one for a change since every time the dog pound is screwed out. and considering the top dog doesn't have to answer shyte. I would give the point to the dog pound and accept the answer as it was.
Well my view is really the opposite. Yes everytime I have seen the show the TOP DOG has won except for last night.... but that is because the Dog Pound is just that stupid.
The questions are VERY EASY and simple. I can't believe the Dog Pound can't get 3 out of 5 more often?!
And the Top Dog who has won challenges or atleast votes, can't even get the opportunity to answer more questions or anything.

I think Brooke didn't even know there were two Roosevelts and that is why no clarification. Any time there is more than one possible answer like this situation they should have gotten clarification. That guy wasn't the brightest, and I give him only about 60% shot at getting it right if he had clarified.
Old 07-30-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by briank

I think Brooke didn't even know there were two Roosevelts and that is why no clarification. Any time there is more than one possible answer like this situation they should have gotten clarification. That guy wasn't the brightest, and I give him only about 60% shot at getting it right if he had clarified.
That is what I'm banking on. She would have to know that there were two Roosevelts ahead of time to know to seek clarification. That's a bad assumption with this chick.
Old 07-30-02, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by tygloalex

That chick had the damn_hottest lips ever. I kept looking at them sideways
Screw the lips, I thought she had incredibly beautiful eyes. No kidding!

Chris

Added : And yes I thought the Roosevelt answer was inexcusable. First I thought it was Kennedy, then Truman, but seconds before he answered Roosevelt, I said out loud Franklin Delano Roosevelt and they let him slide by with just a Roosevelt. Though I was pretty surprised that someone that young would even know that it was a Roosevelt.

Last edited by mrpayroll; 07-30-02 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-30-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only caught the end, but I laughed out loud at "Asia?" and the subsequent loud groans from the audience.
Old 07-30-02, 01:52 PM

I watched nearly the entire show. Cutter was funny and Rebecca was a hottie. I turned to my wife when the final answer was Roosevelt and wondered if he would have to know the first name as well. I guess not. There's been 2 Adams, Roosevelts and Bushes so far, right?
Old 07-30-02, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Oh come on. Nobody on this show is a rocket scientist, and I imagine the producers of the show aren't brain-trusts either. They probably let that question slip because they didn't know any better.

I still can't help but chuckle when that Goth guy when answered "The Sun", to "What is the biggest planet" question. Lol.
Old 07-30-02, 03:18 PM

Wasn't that 'Spyder'?

Chris
Old 07-30-02, 03:28 PM

Glad to see I wasn't alone. Thanks for not flaming too much, even if you disagree with me

As Steve said before he gave the answer, it was a total guess and he didn't have a clue. That's what made it all the more despicable. Good point about the host. She may be hot but she probably didn't have a damn clue herself there was more than one, and there's probably no way the judges (if there are any) would have interrupted her to point it out since it would make her look stupid, too. I'll take an intelligent host over a looker anyday.
Old 07-30-02, 04:01 PM

It's just that you can tell she is reading the cue cards when she is trying to explain the game. She seems to be genuinely friendly toward the contestants, touching them, etc. But those stupid one line jokes that she has to read before going to commercial remind me why I never liked or watched Anne Robinson on The Weakest Link.
Old 07-30-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I noticed it as well. I thought that she would ask to be more specific. but alas she didn't. oh well....
Old 07-30-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

from the creators of Fear factor... do you really expect it to be a "real" trivia show?

I still say you should have the top dog answer some of the questions. simply because of the first episode when the pot head loser "Aww bro, wow" won because the dog pound couldn't pull it out. if the top dog is getting that amount of money he should be made to answer atleast one question.
Old 07-30-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uh I am probably the only one, but since I dont take the competition part of the show serious on any level, I really could care less about the trivia..

I'm there for brooke and when the girls have to take off their clothes to throw footballs through a hoop.

Old 07-30-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm.

Let's check it out on the Circuit City Big Screen!
Old 07-30-02, 08:59 PM

Re: Dog Eat Dog just lost a viewer

Originally posted by gachamann
I wanted to voice my extreme displeasure at the resolution of the final question during the just aired Dog Eat Dog. The final question asked contestant Steve which President said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". He replied, "Roosevelt".

The host made no attempt to ask which Roosevelt he was referring to, since most people know there are two Presidents that have had that last name (Franklin and Theodore). By not asking for a first name, she gave him better odds at winning for his group. This was extremely unfair, and any show that can let such a common sense stipulation pass can only speak to how it will handle questionable situations in the future.

WHO CARES!?!?
JUST BE HAPPY IT WASN'T YOU!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.