Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What's Chris Carter up to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be strong, turn it off...

I get the feeling that no matter how much we voice our opinion here it's going to be wrong Overlord.
It's like telling a Star Wars Fan that the last two movies werent good, you will never win....

I did turn the show off after the last two seasons because it did suck. Because I was a loyal fan, I did tune in from time to time to see if things had gotten better and the show was still pretty bad.
The show was dragging along and showed none of the same atmosphere or creative spark that it once had.

If the show had continued to be good, I wouldnt be writing here now would I? If it had stayed on the same track as it was meant to be, I wouldnt be...."Whining".
And It wouldnt be called whining if you agreed with me would it??

Carter not only said that the show wouldnt last past 5 years but also that Scully and Mulder would never be more than Platonic partners so, that's two that he reniged on.
By the end, the only fans that were left watching were the people that wanted a M/S lovefest.
Was that a part of the show? No and people that were hoping for a Sam and Dianne type union were missing the whole point of the show.

Case closed.
Old 07-18-02, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000

I get the feeling that no matter how much we voice our opinion here it's going to be wrong Overlord.
I agree.
Old 07-18-02, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
Be strong, turn it off...

It's like telling a Star Wars Fan that the last two movies werent good, you will never win....

I did turn the show off after the last two seasons because it did suck. Because I was a loyal fan, I did tune in from time to time to see if things had gotten better and the show was still pretty bad.
The show was dragging along and showed none of the same atmosphere or creative spark that it once had.

If the show had continued to be good, I wouldnt be writing here now would I? If it had stayed on the same track as it was meant to be, I wouldnt be...."Whining".
And It wouldnt be called whining if you agreed with me would it??

Carter not only said that the show wouldnt last past 5 years but also that Scully and Mulder would never be more than Platonic partners so, that's two that he reniged on.
By the end, the only fans that were left watching were the people that wanted a M/S lovefest.
Was that a part of the show? No and people that were hoping for a Sam and Dianne type union were missing the whole point of the show.

Case closed.
In all seriousness, Cooper, I really don't disagree with the points you've made in the quoted post. The last season and a half or two of the X-Files did leave a lot to be desired (I chose to stop watching regularly it myself, checking back from time-to-time as you did) and Carter did reneg on a couple of points. Probably both of these resulted at least in part from financial considerations. To what extent and exactly for whose benefit those considerations were, is something none of us know for sure.

But does Carter's having a job and getting paid for it, when he may have been producing the best product he could under the circumstances (who knows?), necessarily make him a tool? I don't think so. In light of the greater good he provided regarding TV programming in general, and seven really great years of the X-Files in particular, it doesn't seem right to insult the man personally for staying at the party too long, though some may have valid criticisms of that decision and/or the show itself. I'd cut him some slack.
Old 07-18-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it safe to say Chris Carter is the George Luca$ of television?

Old 07-18-02, 10:52 PM
Banned

Well I wouldnt go that far.
Carter sold out. Lucas is just an ass.
Old 08-19-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by goofee girl
I want my Millennium back. Now that was good tv.
I/we want it on DVD!

Any news folks?
Old 08-19-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't forgive him or fox whichever for how very badly they screwed up Millennium.

Second as for keeping the show going out of the sake of those who worked on it "behind the scenes" is totally and completely laughable. These people know the nature of their jobs when they take them. They know that any show can be cancelled at any time for any lame reason. They are either out of work a lot or know how to land on their feet and get another job quickly.

If he said five years, he should have ended it then and there. As for whether or not it can be done that way and there is someone out there who doesn't go for the cash crop because they have integrity for the work and story -- take a look at Babylon 5. JMS said five years and that's exactly what he did. Supposedly there were those who wished for him to do a sixth season and there were stories he probably could have told, but THIS story was done and he ended it in five years. Perhaps when you sacrafice the integrity to the almighty dollar, the last couple of seasons of the X-Files is what you get.

Also, something else I can't forgive Fox for. As a result of them cancelling Harsh Realm so soon, CBS it was, I believe, backed out of a deal for JMS and Chris Carter to do a show together. That would have so totally rocked.

Lastly, we don't know how much the "execs" at Fox interferred with the X-Files. So, who knows how much was him and how much was outside influences. Bottom line, integrity again. Carter should have walked rather than produce subpar programming.

My two cents.
Old 08-21-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I thought after he ritred from the Vikings .. he's joining Fow Sports or something like that?

oh, wrong guy... [ducks out of thread]
Old 08-21-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by JCJF10

I/we want it on DVD!

Any news folks?
*sigh* I guess you, cranky, and I are the last of the Millennium fans...

I say it's never too late to bring back Frank Black.
Old 08-21-02, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by elektra
I can't forgive him or fox whichever for how very badly they screwed up Millennium.
What went wrong anyway? I know Fox kept Millennium going past the second year just to appease Chris Carter and X-Files, but what really happened? I never did get any scoop on it's demise.
Old 08-21-02, 03:30 PM

What went wrong anyway?

From the end of the second season cliffhanger to
all of the 3rd season is went wrong.

Killing off Catherine, the so called deadly virus was
not so deadly and the addition of agent Hollis.

The series just went way off tangent.
I liked the first 2 seasons, but I can never
forgive CC for season 3. Ever.
Old 08-21-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It started off a really good show and then at the end of season 2 I think, they killed off his wife and just went somewhere bizarre. I liked the addtion of Kristen Cloke's character, then they make her all wacked out. It just went weird and wild. I like the show over all and will probably get the DVD's. I like Frank Black and thought that Lance did a great job.
Old 08-22-02, 05:55 AM

I'll admit that they screwed with the third season. They didn't have to kill off Catherine and Lara Means... they were integral in the show and introducing new characters to replace them (i.e. Hollis, FBI et al) was a pretty dumb move. But whose move was it? Carter's?? And while the Millennium group was obviously not what we thought it was in the first season, they didn't have to make them out as the biggest villians the world has seen. I guess I just kept my eyes shut thru the whole Millennium demise and kept hoping for a turn for the better.

That said, I still watched the show faithfully and still watch them on dvd coz I'm a nutty fan.
Old 08-22-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

*sigh* I guess you, cranky, and I are the last of the Millennium fans...

Wrong. There is another......

Frank Black was THE man. I loved the whole Patti Smith "Horses" trippy drug sequence, as well as the infamous bloody chicken dinner scene.

I thought that series ended well - properly dark and all that - but I secretly wish it were still on.
Old 08-22-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

gg - That's why I'm not sure who I should be frustrated with Carter or Fox. You never know when a suit will interfere. They've totally screwed up Trek. There were so many different ways to go with that show. I didn't care for the way they went. I would like to see it out on DVD.
Old 08-22-02, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add another Millennium fan. This show was the best show to ever hit the airwaves. The problem with Chris Carter is that he starts a good show only to pass it off to someone else who makes it better. Then he turns childlike and complains about what they did to "his" show and then he comes back and screws it all up. I loved what Morgan and Wong did for Millennium in season 2. But then CC said that isn't what the show is about then he went against even what the show was about when he started it and spit out season 3. Only after he stepped away from it again the show started to improve. But by then it was to late.
Old 08-22-02, 11:49 AM

Thanks for that info, Chris... I didn't know all that. When you say Wong, do you mean James Wong?

Can I ask for a group hug from all the Millennium fans. *snif* I'm so happy to know there are other huge fans...

And the Mother's Day chicken dinner scene has to be one of my favorites... omg... that was a horrifying scene yet I couldn't look away. (Much like my quote)
Old 08-22-02, 01:15 PM

Yeah, Glen Morgan and James Wong did great work on Millennium.
Old 08-22-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

chris - are we pretty sure that it was all carter without interference from the network suits? They can be pretty evil.
Old 08-22-02, 09:21 PM

There was an article in some magazine right before the start of season 3. In it he stated that he was dissatisfied with the direction M & W took the show. He also stated that he was going back to the show to make it what it used to be- the best show on tv. He never stated anything about network suits wanting the changes. The only time the network made any remarks about the show was during the 1st season when the show was being dubbed "the serial killer of the week show". I have this issue somewhere and if I can find it I'll retype the article here.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 08-22-02 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-23-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Millennium season 2 had some phenomenal episodes. It was better than season 5 of the X-Files, IMHO. While it wasn't a perfect season, I think it's uneveness is a bit like season 1 of The X-Files, a show getting its legs...

Only to be killed in season 3 by the craptacular writing and executive production. In fact, after season 1 I'm surprised it even got another shot at life. It's just too bad that Carter crapped all over it in season 3 to get it back to his vision, which was interesting in the pilot and maybe the first half-dozen episodes.

Namely: NOT EVERY SHOW CAN BE ABOUT SERIAL KILLERS. Hint: LIKE NOT EVERY X-FILES CAN BE ABOUT ALIENS / CONSPIRACIES.

For what it's worth, my favorite episodes from season 2 are the Halloween episode, the Christmas episode, and the Alaska episode. I'd put the first two up as some of my favorite television of all time. The Alaska episode resonated with me because of the true story it's based on, so it's hard for me to say if it was really that good (since I only saw it once...)
Old 08-23-02, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is any network airing Millennium these days? I have to rewatch some of these eps to remember them. It's been many, many moons.
Old 08-23-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
at this thread!

I love this!

People saying Carter "sacrificed quality for the $$$. It's that simple." Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

I'm anxious to know how many of you who are telling us exactly what Carter did and didn't do with regards to the show were actually there and know first hand what went down? What the deal was with the show and the studio and DD and GA?

Or maybe you're saying that "If his name's on it, then he's responsible!" Is that it?

Or... maybe this is another case of pure opinion that people here are spouting as fact?

Anyway, keep it up! I love reading this!
You realize YOU like ths thread because YOU are the ONLY ONE HERE exempt from das's letter.

mini
Old 08-26-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I ask for a group hug from all the Millennium fans. *snif* I'm so happy to know there are other huge fans...
I'd join in, but you'd probably grope me checking for a singlet.

Wait, if that's case . . .