Reload this Page >

Get Ready for Greta Garbo / Priscilla Lane on TCM 6/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-11-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.........6/12 will be a BIG BIG day for me and my VHS!!!!

Greta Garbo and Priscilla Lane will be featured by TCM on 6/12

Priscilla Lane:
Varsity Show (1937)
Brother Rat (1938)
Cowboy From Brooklyn(1938)
The Roaring Twenties (1939)
Three Cheers For The Irish (1940)
Blues In The Night (1941)
Arsenic And Old Lace (1944) RELEASED ON DVD
Bodyguard (1948)

Greta Garbo (And She Talks!):
Anna Christie (1930)
Anna Christie (1930) ~ German Version
Romance (1930)
Inspiration (1930)
The Kiss (1929)
Wild Orchids (1929)

I don't work for TCM (although I wish I did). I'm just passing on a little reminder for those who love classic movies. This is a day / night not to be missed. So get out your blank VHS tapes and walm up your VCR

* If only these were out on DVD

Last edited by Vampyr; 06-11-02 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Adding air times (EST) for those too lazy to look it up.

Priscilla Lane:
6:00 AM Varsity Show (1937)
7:30AM Brother Rat (1938)
9:00AM Cowboy From Brooklyn(1938)
10:30AM The Roaring Twenties (1939)
12:30PM Three Cheers For The Irish (1940)
2:30PM Blues In The Night (1941)
4:30PM Arsenic And Old Lace (1944) RELEASED ON DVD
6:45PM Bodyguard (1948)

8:00PM Anna Christie (1930)
9:45PM Anna Christie (1930) ~ German Version
11:30PM Romance (1930)
1:00AM Inspiration (1930)
2:30AM The Kiss (1929)
3:45AM Wild Orchids (1929)

Anna Christie (1930) ~ German Version - Somehow, I knew this would appeal to you.

I haven't seen Brother Rat (1938) in years. I probably have an old tape somewhere, but it'll be easier just to tape it again. I'm also going to tape The Roaring Twenties (1939), and I'll probably watch the two Anna Christies. That's it, unless you or somebody else has any info/recommendations for some of the others (other than Arsenic And Old Lace (1944) of course).

By the way, tonight at 11:15PM, TCM is showing His Kind of Woman (1951) starring Robert Mitchum and Vincent Price.
Old 06-11-02, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Dimension X
Adding air times (EST) for those too lazy to look it up.

Priscilla Lane:
6:00 AM Varsity Show (1937)
7:30AM Brother Rat (1938)
9:00AM Cowboy From Brooklyn(1938)
10:30AM The Roaring Twenties (1939)
12:30PM Three Cheers For The Irish (1940)
2:30PM Blues In The Night (1941)
4:30PM Arsenic And Old Lace (1944) RELEASED ON DVD
6:45PM Bodyguard (1948)

8:00PM Anna Christie (1930)
9:45PM Anna Christie (1930) ~ German Version
11:30PM Romance (1930)
1:00AM Inspiration (1930)
2:30AM The Kiss (1929)
3:45AM Wild Orchids (1929)

Anna Christie (1930) ~ German Version - Somehow, I knew this would appeal to you.

I haven't seen Brother Rat (1938) in years. I probably have an old tape somewhere, but it'll be easier just to tape it again. I'm also going to tape The Roaring Twenties (1939), and I'll probably watch the two Anna Christies. That's it, unless you or somebody else has any info/recommendations for some of the others (other than Arsenic And Old Lace (1944) of course).

By the way, tonight at 11:15PM, TCM is showing His Kind of Woman (1951) starring Robert Mitchum and Vincent Price.

I love His Kind of Woman (1951)!!! I taped it when it was on TCM about a week or so ago Price is over the top in this one and wonderful. In a way his part reminds me of what he would later do with the Edgar A. Poe movies.

BTW: His Kind of Woman (1951) has some cast.......For those who don't know, it includes not only who Dimension X has noted but Jane Russell, Raymond Burr, Jim Backus and Tim Holt just to name another four
Old 06-12-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was a great little movie. Vincent Price is one of my favorite actors, so I knew I'd like it. Jim Backus was fun to watch (and listen to) as always. I'm glad I taped it.

If you want to see Vincent Price play a really hammy actor, get Theater of Blood (1973). I heard him say in several interviews that this was his favorite movie, because he got to kill all the critics.

Did you watch Where Danger Lives (1950) (with Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue, and Claude Rains) tonight? I thought the story was pretty lame. Claude Rains was only in it for about five minutes, and Robert Mitchum looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.
Old 06-12-02, 05:12 AM

That was a great little movie. Vincent Price is one of my favorite actors, so I knew I'd like it. Jim Backus was fun to watch (and listen to) as always. I'm glad I taped it.

If you want to see Vincent Price play a really hammy actor, get Theater of Blood (1973). I heard him say in several interviews that this was his favorite movie, because he got to kill all the critics.

Did you watch Where Danger Lives (1950) (with Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue, and Claude Rains) tonight? I thought the story was pretty lame. Claude Rains was only in it for about five minutes, and Robert Mitchum looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.
Yes........I have Theater of Blood (1973) on DVD

No.........I didn't watch Where Danger Lives (1950), as I have a VHS copy. It could have been better, but there were a few good parts.........I wish Rains had a larger part. After all, he was given top billing
Old 06-12-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Vampyr

Yes........I have Theater of Blood (1973) on DVD

I thought you might, but it never hurts to recommend a movie.

No.........I didn't watch Where Danger Lives (1950), as I have a VHS copy. It could have been better, but there were a few good parts.........I wish Rains had a larger part. After all, he was given top billing
"there were a few good parts" - I especially liked the part where it said "The End."
Old 06-12-02, 10:58 AM

I thought you might, but it never hurts to recommend a movie.

"there were a few good parts" - I especially liked the part where it said "The End."

Feel free to recommend at any time.........There's always a chance I've missed something

As for Where Danger Lives (1950)
I did laugh at the part when the cars crash and that drunk gets out and is handed the money for driving badly
Old 06-12-02, 03:20 PM

There is a heavy T-storm pushing through my area and it's already made a mess out of the last 20 minutes of my taping of Blues In The Night off of TCM It isn't scheduled to be shown again per TCM's site and even worse it's not sold on VHS......This really stinks

The only thing that could be worse is if this storm continues from 6:45 and on.....That would ruin any attempt at recording the last P. Lane movie (Bodyguard) and the Garbo features.........Just my luck.......The best day of the year for me to tape movies (in terms of what's on) and a storm makes the recordings look like $%^!
Old 06-12-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could always try the REQUEST A MOVIE or FEEDBACK options on TCM's site and see if/when they might play Blues In The Night again. The SEARCH feature only appears to go out about three months. Who knows, you might actually get an answer.
Old 06-12-02, 05:17 PM

You could always try the REQUEST A MOVIE or FEEDBACK options on TCM's site and see if/when they might play Blues In The Night again. The SEARCH feature only appears to go out about three months. Who knows, you might actually get an answer.
They never answered me before

The good news (I hope) is that the storm seems to have passed, just in time for the 6:45 P. Lane movie and Greta Garbo evening
Old 06-12-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They never answered me before

Oops, I didn't mean to bring up a sore point. How was I to know they weren't answering your e-mails?
Old 06-12-02, 05:46 PM

Oops, I didn't mean to bring up a sore point. How was I to know they weren't answering your e-mails?
Maybe I send them too much mail

In answer to your question..........Maybe you could have consulted..............

Old 06-12-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Criswell book, but it only goes through 2000 when the world ended. It's kind of useless now.

Be careful with all the mail, TCM may get a restraining order.
Old 06-12-02, 08:37 PM

Gee....I'm loving this day at the TV!!!!!! Currently waiting for the German version of Anna Christie to begin They're showing what's left of a rare (I think Russian) silent film of Garbo between shows.

Gif me a visky, ginger ale on the side, and don' be stingy, baby.
Old 06-12-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Divine Woman (1928) Looked like Russian to me.
Old 06-13-02, 11:21 AM

The Divine Woman (1928) Looked like Russian to me.
I thought you were right, but check this. It says USA at the bottom where the country is listed.

Odd considering that there were Russian subtitles besides the English. (In fact, it looked to me as if the Russian subtitles were on the initial print, while the English looked to have been added at a later date.)

The Divine Woman (1928) IMDb

FYI: The trivia section says the same as TCM ~ Only a short few minutes of this film are known to exist. Please check your attic.
Old 06-13-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Under the user comments, the guy says, "This is a lost film, save for one reel found in a Russian archive." So it looks like what we saw was the Russian translated version of an American movie, with Engilsh subtitles added to the video version.

Didn't they play this same reel last week? It looked familiar.

Do you know of any other films where they filmed two versions (other than Dracula), one for foreign and one for domestic release?
Old 06-13-02, 01:07 PM

Under the user comments, the guy says, "This is a lost film, save for one reel found in a Russian archive." So it looks like what we saw was the Russian translated version of an American movie, with Engilsh subtitles added to the video version.

Didn't they play this same reel last week? It looked familiar.

Do you know of any other films where they filmed two versions (other than Dracula), one for foreign and one for domestic release?
They did play this last week.....You are correct........I missed taping it both times However, I think they will show it every night Garbo is featured this month

I believe there were many films in which two versions were shot ( besides Dracula ). It's my understanding that this was a common practice back then. In fact, Das Boot (1981) was shot in both English and German.

Another example would be Blaue Engel, Der (1930) with Marlene Dietrich. If you don't have the DVD I recommend you get a copy It has both versions and some nice extras

DeepDiscountDVD.com

Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)

• Commentary by Werner Sudendorf of the Berlin Film Museum
• Two-disc set
• Original and restored German version of the feature with English subtitles
• "English" version of the feature (translated where needed)
• Original and reissue trailers
• Marlene Dietrich's 1930 screen test for The Blue Angel
• Concert footage from two different Dietrich performances, including three songs
• Filmed interview (2 min.)
• 41 biographies of all key cast and production staff
• Chronicles about the history of the production by Werner Sudendorf
• Photo gallery, including behind-the-scenes stills, costume illustrations, and posters
Old 06-13-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They did play this last week.....You are correct........I missed taping it both times However, I think they will show it every night Garbo is featured this month
I'm pretty sure you're right. Just keep taping after the movies and you should catch it.

I believe there were many films in which two versions were shot ( besides Dracula ). It's my understanding that this was a common practice back then. In fact, Das Boot (1981) was shot in both English and German.
Robert Osbourne made it sound like the Germans particularly wanted their own versions (and dubbing hadn't been invented yet) so they had to film two versions.

I thought the English version of Das Boot was just the German version dubbed using some of the same actors.

Another example would be Blaue Engel, Der (1930) with Marlene Dietrich. If you don't have the DVD I recommend you get a copy It has both versions and some nice extras

• Original and restored German version of the feature with English subtitles
• "English" version of the feature (translated where needed)
Thanks, I think this is what I was after - two entirely different films.

What do they mean by "(translated where needed)?"
Old 06-13-02, 02:48 PM

I'm pretty sure you're right. Just keep taping after the movies and you should catch it.

Robert Osbourne made it sound like the Germans particularly wanted their own versions (and dubbing hadn't been invented yet) so they had to film two versions.

I thought the English version of Das Boot was just the German version dubbed using some of the same actors.

Thanks, I think this is what I was after - two entirely different films.

What do they mean by "(translated where needed)?"

I always thought that the English Das Boot was filmed just that way......I could be wrong, but that's what I've always thought.

Watch their lips in this short clip....It looks like their speaking English to me.
Watch Their Lips

BTW: If you go to the Babelsberg Studios outside Berlin you can see the submarine set used in the filming. I missed it when I was there but plan on seeing it next time. Here is a link to a review I wrote on the movie: Das Boot Review

Das Boot Set Babelsberg Filmpark

As far as your other question......I don't exactly remember It my refer to the fact that some of the words used in the German version were English. In those cases no translation is needed. (The use of English words in German films, commercials, etc... is quite common today. They were used every so often in the past. If you remember the German version of Anna Christie; the drunken woman using the separate entrance at the bar uses the word "Ladies" with the German word for "Entrance")......I'll have to look at it ~ Blaue Engel, Der (1930) ~ again to see.

Last edited by Vampyr; 07-02-02 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-13-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From IMDb Das Boot triva page: "All the major actors speak English in addition to German. When the movie was dubbed into English, each actor spoke the lines for his own part." ( http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0082096 )

I'm pretty sure they are singing in English in the clip, but I couldn't tell about the speaking (hard to tell because of the size and resolution).

I bought my DVD of Das Boot early in '98 and haven't watched it again since (other than a few minutes to check out the sound when I upgraded my HT). Great movie, but I'm so behind on my DVD watching that I don't do much repeat viewing.

After I read your review, I couldn't help but read the others. Looks like we agree on many of these movies, except I didn't hate The Blair Witch Project.

Cannibal! The Musical is hilarious. It's hard to believe it's a student film. You might want to check out Southpark: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut if you haven't seen it. The songs in it are great too. Also give a listen to the commentary on the Cannibal! The Musical DVD. It's almost as good as the movie.

I have to point out something in your review of Barbwire that I disagree with. You say "The plot is extremely poor and badly thought out." How can you say this, when the plot of Barbwire was directly lifted from Casablanca? I only saw Barbwire once (that was enough), but it seems like the plot was the only thing good about the movie.
Old 06-13-02, 04:23 PM

From IMDb Das Boot triva page: "All the major actors speak English in addition to German. When the movie was dubbed into English, each actor spoke the lines for his own part." ( http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0082096 )

I'm pretty sure they are singing in English in the clip, but I couldn't tell about the speaking (hard to tell because of the size and resolution).

I bought my DVD of Das Boot early in '98 and haven't watched it again since (other than a few minutes to check out the sound when I upgraded my HT). Great movie, but I'm so behind on my DVD watching that I don't do much repeat viewing.

After I read your review, I couldn't help but read the others. Looks like we agree on many of these movies, except I didn't hate The Blair Witch Project.

Cannibal! The Musical is hilarious. It's hard to believe it's a student film. You might want to check out Southpark: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut if you haven't seen it. The songs in it are great too. Also give a listen to the commentary on the Cannibal! The Musical DVD. It's almost as good as the movie.

I have to point out something in your review of Barbwire that I disagree with. You say "The plot is extremely poor and badly thought out." How can you say this, when the plot of Barbwire was directly lifted from Casablanca? I only saw Barbwire once (that was enough), but it seems like the plot was the only thing good about the movie.

Wow!!! You took the time to read my reviews

Concerning Barbwire ~ I guess I hated it so much that I wasn't looking at it the way you have. To be honest, I'm not going to check it again to understand what you have indicated I'll just take your word for it.......It's better on my eyes that way

Interesting about Da Boot. I'll have to check my copy some day too. It's hard enough trying to keep up with the new arrivals as it is, so I don't know when this will happen
Old 06-13-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow!!! You took the time to read my reviews
Well, I sort of skimmed them actually.

About Barbwire: I actually noticed the plot similarities as I was watching (had to have something to keep me entertained). Later on, I read a review or description of the movie, and the writer pointed it out (I don't know if the comic book the movie was based on used the same story though).

Edit: I just thought of something. I saw this P&S on cable, so maybe some of the impact of its awfulness was lost.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-13-02 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-13-02, 05:20 PM

..............Edit: I just thought of something. I saw this P&S on cable, so maybe some of the impact of its awfulness was lost.

Watching this movie would most likely be the only time I would actually prefer a Pan & Scam version Shushhhhhh......Don't let anyone hear I ever said anything good about the dreaded Pan & Scam

BTW: The best way to read my reviews is to skim through them.....They read better that way
Old 06-13-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW: The best way to read my reviews is to skim through them.....They read better that way

I don't know if you got my joke about hopping Chinese vampires in the other thread where I panned The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974), but I'll make a recommendation anyway. If you get the chance, watch Geung si sin sang (Mr. Vampire) (1985).

It's one of the funniest horror/comedies I've ever seen (but then again it could just be my warped sense of humor). Check out the listing on IMDb: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0089371

I've been looking for a cheap price on this DVD for about a year now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.