Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Buffy" to appear on Letterman this Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Buffy" to appear on Letterman this Tuesday

SMG is scheduled to appear on Letterman Tueday night!

I'm not sure that she has ever been on his show. I'm a huge fan of hers and BTVS, but she has always seemed to be more of a Leno-guest. Enjoying the dumb humor and easy questions.

I really hope to see her have some fun with someone who knows how to do a good and funny interview and make the guest really get into things. Maybe, like he'd do with Gillian Anderson and the X-Files, he'll make a bunch of jokes about her being a slayer and asking her about vampires and all that to get a laugh.

Anything that keeps her from talking about Scooby-Doo a lot would be great.

Freddie Prinze Jr. (not someone I like) is scheduled to appear the next night.

Now if only we can get Alyson Hannigan on the Late Show I'll be able to die a happy man.
Old 06-09-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh my god....this will be so bad I have to watch.

She's always chocked and seemed awful..well dumb and vapid when on Leno's show, if Letterman goes off script I think she may well extremely embarass herself.

Oh hell yeah I'm watching.
Old 06-10-02, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by clemente
Oh my god....this will be so bad I have to watch.

She's always chocked and seemed awful..well dumb and vapid when on Leno's show, if Letterman goes off script I think she may well extremely embarass herself.

Oh hell yeah I'm watching.
Well, I respectfully disagree. I saw her on Leno just before the musical episode of Buffy, and she seemed sweet and very collected. Not at all a vapid airhead IMO.

Anyway, heads up, she is also going to be on Conan Thursday night, Regis Wednesday, and Revealed w/ Jules Asner also on Wednesday.
Old 06-10-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only seen SMG on Leno (it seems like she hasn't done a lot of talk-shows), so that is all I have to base an opinion on. In articles, she comes across very well and quite articulate and funny but she did come across kind of badly when I saw her on Leno. You might have assumed her to be aloof or even not very smart. But I think that has a lot to do with Leno and is why I look forward to see her on Letterman. I'd like to see her with Conan too. Both hosts usually bring out a lot more personality out of their guests in the short time that they have. I usually don't watch shows like Revealed, but I will watch SMG just to see what she has to say about Buffy and her future projects.
Old 06-10-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've always thought she suffered from 'Child Actor Syndrome' or 'Showbiz Syndrome', which is in interviews she always turns on a false switch in order to appear pleasant and snappy, ready to spout the pre-approved anecdotes they went over in the warm up. A lot of people suffer from it, and usually Leno is perfectly suited for such stuff since he does nothing but kiss a**... Depending on how interested Dave is in her, and his general mood, he’ll either have fun with her or at her expense, or just go through the interview card questions and get it over with.
Old 06-10-02, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by dolphinboy
In articles, she comes across very well and quite articulate and funny
I agree. The print interviews (printerviews?) I've read actually impressed me. She seems like she's got a good head on her shoulders. But we'll see what happens Tuesday night. Letterman likes the ladies so he'll try to help her out if she gets nervous in front of live audiences. Leno's a ninny.
Old 06-10-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: "Buffy" to appear on Letterman this Tuesday

Originally posted by dolphinboy
I'm not sure that she has ever been on his show. I'm a huge fan of hers and BTVS, but she has always seemed to be more of a Leno-guest. Enjoying the dumb humor and easy questions.
She first appeared on Letterman's show September 28, 1982. Her next appearance was December 11, 1985. Most recently, she appeared November 20, 1997, to promote Scream 2.

It's amazing how much they know over at alt.fan.letterman.

-leepy
Old 06-10-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: "Buffy" to appear on Letterman this Tuesday

Originally posted by leepyswetr
She first appeared on Letterman's show September 28, 1982. Her next appearance was December 11, 1985. Most recently, she appeared November 20, 1997, to promote Scream 2.

It's amazing how much they know over at alt.fan.letterman.

-leepy
Was she the number one guest on the 1997 episode? She's a big deal now, so it certainly should be more entertaining. She'll get a lot more time and attention from Dave. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 06-11-02, 09:37 AM

Re: Re: "Buffy" to appear on Letterman this Tuesday

Originally posted by leepyswetr
She first appeared on Letterman's show September 28, 1982.

-leepy
What was she plugging 20 years ago? Or was she plugging anything? Was she only a few years old?
Old 06-11-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The fun has already started. I got this from Dave's webpage.

Wahoo EXTRA!

Today's Late Show debate: How do you pronounce Sarah Michelle Gellar? I mentioned at Monday's morning meeting that I thought it may be pronounced "gell-ARE" and not geller. They looked at me as if I was bald. I've checked the websites and a few mentioned that although she accepts "Geller", her name is actually pronounced "Gell-ARE." (I'm typing this Monday morning. Hopefully a decision was made by Monday night's, "on tomorrow's show.")

(ed.note - as of 5:30 PM Monday - we're going with Geller.)
Old 06-11-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: "Buffy" to appear on Letterman this Tuesday

Originally posted by Danger1313

What was she plugging 20 years ago? Or was she plugging anything? Was she only a few years old?
From alt.fan.letterman

9/28/82 - at 5, part of Safety Day Props
2/11/85 - in Chris Elliott's "Guy Under the Seats: The Lost Episodes," Lost Episode #128: "Miracle Under the Seats"
11/20/97 - to promote "Scream 2"
Apparently in the first episode she was wearing a box of some type on her head. To answer another question, she came on after Danny DeVito on the 1997 show.

-leepy
Old 06-11-02, 11:32 PM

Well the show is over now and I think she did great. Very humorous even with the cold. I thought it was funny when Letterman mentioned that the Buffy series would not die and she said "Yea, but we keep trying".
The series does seem to have life of it's own.
Old 06-11-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What was up with 15min of that lame-ass celebrity x-ray thing and 5 minutes with SMG. She didn't even have a chance to relax and she seemd very much NOT relaxed.

Oh well she looked good...looks like shes putting a little meat back on the bones.
Old 06-12-02, 12:55 AM

While she may not have been completely relaxed, I think she did a fantastic job of holding her own w/ Dave. She was very funny and even made Dave laugh a few times. And as stated, she looked beautiful. She has *the* best smile in Hollywood IMO. Far superior to Julia Roberts' . , Sarah!
Old 06-12-02, 01:01 AM
zig

She's not exactly a great talk show guest.. but I thought she was ok. Not terrible anyway.
Old 06-12-02, 01:05 AM

I hate to sound like a raving fanboy--ah hell with it, PICS?!?!?!
Old 06-12-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by writteninstars
While she may not have been completely relaxed, I think she did a fantastic job of holding her own w/ Dave. She was very funny and even made Dave laugh a few times. And as stated, she looked beautiful. She has *the* best smile in Hollywood IMO. Far superior to Julia Roberts' . , Sarah!
It's like night and day seeing her on Letterman rather than Leno. I had only seen her twice before, both on Leno, and I also thought she was a bad guest. But it was Leno.

She came out blazin' tonight. She looked great, she was funny and entertaining, and also really seemed to be happy to be a guest. She may not be the best guest on the planet, but she was wonderful tonight and I think that's probably more like her than the other stuff I saw on Leno. I wish she would come back tomorrow and let Freddie stay back at the hotel.

By the way, she was on for two segments that lasted 8 minutes 12.69 seconds from her introduction (including the movie clip) which is pretty close to normal. I would have loved more, though but she wasn't given a raw deal because of the celeb x-ray going long.

She did such a great job, I might actually consider seeing Scooby-Doo now.
Old 06-12-02, 02:29 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought she might have been trying too hard - I didn't laugh too much during the interview.
Old 06-12-02, 03:07 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree I thought she was trying a little too hard. The Fran Drescher comparison with her own voice (being off due to a cold) was kinda funny.

She did look great but I'm still not going to see Scooby Doo.
Old 06-12-02, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by AJW
I'm still not going to see Scooby Doo.

How about that clip they showed...yikes. I never judge a movie by a trailer or a clip but I have to say....
Old 06-12-02, 09:31 AM

She was on the Today show this morning getting interviewed by Matt Lauer. She was very good despite the same five questions she must get all the time "What was it like acting with a dog that wasn't really there?" "Wow, 7 seasons...and wasn't Buffy based on a movie that didn't do very well? How do you explain your show's success?"

Normally Lauer does decent interviews but whoever wrote those questions should have to sit through every episode of Swan's Crossing.
Old 06-12-02, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Danger1313

Normally Lauer does decent interviews but whoever wrote those questions should have to sit through every episode of Swan's Crossing.
Old 06-12-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So where the pics???
Old 06-12-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it astonishes me that there's suddenly some anti-SMG sentiment floating around, people now claiming she's some money-hungry diva or something. Whatever. Every interview I've read or seen with her has impressed me, and she did just fine on Letterman. She has impressed me enough that I actually wonder if maybe there is something valuable in Freddie Prinze, Jr. that I just don't see.

das
Old 06-12-02, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
that I just don't see.
das
That's got to be it...

Anyway...SMG seems to be a confident, intelligent woman...she just seemed uncomfortable on the show...just my impression. I literally have never seen her interviewed before until last night so I have nothing to compare it to.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.