Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any King of the Hill fans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any King of the Hill fans?

I must say, I wish the new episodes of this show were on in a better timeslot. I've recently started watching reruns of KOTH on the weekdays. This show is great. The subtle jokes that Mike Judge slips in are the best. I saw an episode the other day that was one of the best. It was when Dale works in an office building. I'm not sure which came out first office space or ths episode. Either way, Judge used the same type of humor in both. Anyone else a fan of this show? I must admit when I first heard that my local Fox affiliate was moving the Simpsons to 5pm to put KOTH in at 5:30 I was kinda mad. However, now I love it. Feel free to reply here, or in my favorite usenet group alt.conspiracy.black.helicopters. I wonder if Rusty Shackelford has been posting there recently
Old 06-07-02, 01:28 PM

I think my sig says it all....
Old 06-07-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I love the show as long as it's not a Peggy episode. Hers are becoming as annoying as Lisa episodes on the Simpsons.
Old 06-07-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I tend to agree. Although the Peggy's Feet episode was pretty funny. I think my favorite are episodes that focus on Dale and Bill. Dale is just hilarious and Bill is so pathetic it's funny.
Old 06-07-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hank: "Luanne, just when I thought you've said the most idiotic thing, you keep talking!"
Old 06-07-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Dale: "Haaaaaaaaaaa-ink"

Boomhauer: "that dang ol internet man is col dudp depd dudpd d ajdud dnsds ....nekkid wimen man."
Old 06-08-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I think Beavis and Butthead need to make a guest appearance
Old 06-08-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never thought I was a big fan until the show went to syndication. I realized that not only had I seen the majority of the episodes, but I new some of them by heart. This is something I would certainly pick up if it was made available on dvd.
Old 06-08-02, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This show and Futurama, thats all i watch on Sundays anymore.

Funniest moment in recent history:

The Asian golf course episode...

Hank and the boys made the neighborhood into a gold course, right before a commercial break we see Dale with the golf bags on his legs walking around like Frankenstein!

Another good one: the episode where Hank and the guys were telling the same story from each others point of view and when we saw Boomhauer's version he talked normally and everyone else talked fast like he usually does!
Old 06-08-02, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
What about when they all went to Mexico and had to sneak back in?

Hank's Dad has me dying everytime he's on the screen.
Old 06-08-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mikehunt
I think Beavis and Butthead need to make a guest appearance
There is a character on the show who reminds me of B&B. He turns up whenever something bad happens to a main character and says something like, "That was - cool, huh huh." Watch for him. He's the freckled redhead.
Old 06-08-02, 10:26 AM

Bobby: That's my purse!! I don't know you!!!

My fav episode!!

Old 06-08-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally posted by UAIOE
Another good one: the episode where Hank and the guys were telling the same story from each others point of view and when we saw Boomhauer's version he talked normally and everyone else talked fast like he usually does!
I don't usually watch KOTH, but I saw this episode and it was very good.

Get rid of Peggy and Bobby and the show might not be too bad.
Old 06-08-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never really like it until it went to syndication and i watched a few. This show isn't really a typical cartoon. It deals with very real world situations that even most sitcoms avoid...like Hank's constipation or his narrow urethra.

Dale is awesome cuz he reminds me of a friend. Hank's dad is annoying but still funny. Peggy is really annoying but a little funny cuz she is so stupid
Old 06-08-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love this show. I have to say Dale and Hank's father Cotton are my favorite characters.
Old 06-08-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my favorite (and the only one i enjoyed) was the one where peggy was bobby's sex ed teacher.
Old 06-09-02, 01:35 PM

I love that someone brought this up...

KOTH is really one of the great American TV shows. Even though it's never climbed to the height of The Simpsons or B&B, it just had it's 100th episode and Fox has just given it the old Malcolm in the Middle slot!

What's great about KOTH is not just the depth of each character, but seeing how these characters have grown over time. Like the Simpsons, they play off each other beautifully. What's also great is the occasional glimpse into what make each character tick, like seeing them as a child or learning about family members. Hank reminiscing over his fractured relationship with his father has long been a staple of KOTH, but it's great to see how Cotton has his trophy wife and the "Good Hank" he's always wanted. I also like the evolution of Nancy's relationship with John Redcorn and Dale. John as the mopey suitor is hilarious.

Which bring me to Bobby Hill. I think Bobby is one of the most versatile and underrated characters on TV. A pudgy, yet confident teenager with NOTHING in common with his father, who yearns to be a comedian. I love how Connie is weirdly fascinated by Bobby and how well he treats her is return. Sometimes, though, Bobby can be funnier when he just wanders in for a scene or two, like during Peggy's recent obsession with the weight of a make-your-own-sundae.

Think of all the people who inhabit KOTH: Condescending, mean and nasty Laotian couple next door, conspiracy nut with illegitimate child and a bigoted WWII veteran on his 2nd wife. And what other show has a Republican Baptist Cowboy fan as its lead character?
Old 06-09-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pezboy,
Nice post. Sums up KOTH very well and also points out some things I never would have thought of.
I still think the funniest reoccuring bit is Dale's alter ego of Rusty Shackelford. The one where he was at the unemployment line as Rusty was great. He looked exactly the same but had that little mustache on.
Old 06-09-02, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
I love the show as long as it's not a Peggy episode.
What? No! Personally I think Peggy's one of the most brilliant characters ever. No seriously, I do.

I mean, she's so incredibly self-centered and she doesn't know it...just like self-centered people in real life. And she's so wonderfully incompetent, yet is still so very proud of every little victory. I crack up each and every time she, a substitute spanish teacher, says "espan-nol". Her dialogue is some of the funniest and most brilliant stuff to come out of the show.

"I finally have the chance that I always deserved!"
Old 06-10-02, 10:14 AM
Cat

I really liked it when it first started, but stopped watching it when it kept moving around. It ended up on a night that I am not at home and I taped a few episodes, but never watched them and soon lost interest. A real funny show, but just never in a good time slot for me.

Cat