Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy episode "The Body"

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buffy episode "The Body"

I recently got buffycrazy and this show just knocks me off my feet time after time..

Now me and my tivo are catching up in season 5 and "The Body" was on.

If SMG didnt get nominated.. and JW.. and everyone.. for something.. anything, everything..

That was one tough episode. *shivers*

Buffy is some of the best TV i've seen - scary but true.
Old 06-06-02, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I first watched Buffy when I got the S1 DVD in Jan. and can't get enough of it. FX caught me up on all the episode, but I learned quickly that they cut a couple of minute from each episode

The Body is one of my fav. episodes, anyone who didn't get misty eyed at some point in that episode has a heart of stone. I don't think I had a dry eye for the whole show.

I can't wait till next tuesday so I can rewatch all of S2 uncut

Removed discussion of how to unofficially obtain copyrighted material. - Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 06-06-02 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-06-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The fact that this episode was not nominated for an Emmy was criminal. It was one of the best hours of television ever made.

das

P.S. Welcome to the club.
Old 06-06-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What made that episode great was how disorientating it was to watch, and how it conveyed the utter shock of the impact of Joyce's death on Buffy and the scoobs. SMG did some fine acting in that episode.
Old 06-06-02, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
[B]The fact that this episode was not nominated for an Emmy was criminal. It was one of the best hours of television ever made.
I was at a non-Buffy watcher's house yesterday and we watched together. (It's one of my favorite episodes of the series and I can never not watch if it's on.) Anyway, I made that very same comment and she wholeheartedly agreed w/ me when it was over that it should have been recognized by the Emmys...for Joss and for SMG.
Old 06-06-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by writteninstars
I was at a non-Buffy watcher's house yesterday and we watched together. (It's one of my favorite episodes of the series and I can never not watch if it's on.) Anyway, I made that very same comment and she wholeheartedly agreed w/ me when it was over that it should have been recognized by the Emmys...for Joss and for SMG.
To be fair, if I recall, that's the same season as "Pine Barrens," "Two Cathedrals," and "Employee of the Month" ("Two Cathedrals" was strangely oversighted in the awards). That's some serious competition, and I don't know if I could have picked the episode to win an Emmy, but not giving it a nomination enforced how narrow-minded the nomination committee is.

das
Old 06-06-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
The fact that this episode was not nominated for an Emmy was criminal. It was one of the best hours of television ever made.

I wasnt sure if it was nominated for anything, but I guess not.

Being relatively clueless about whats going on, i had no clue it would happen, so when i was watching the episode with warrens robot girlfriend and they tagged the ending on with joyce dead. Holy Crap.

Mom.. Mom... Mommy?
Old 06-06-02, 03:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It shocked me when Buffy broke Joyce's rib when she was trying to do CPR on her. This actually happens... but you're supposed to continue CPR anyways. I was already shocked to see Joyce laid out dead on the couch, but when the rib broke, it just added to the real feeling of it. Crazy episode.
Old 06-06-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
It shocked me when Buffy broke Joyce's rib when she was trying to do CPR on her. This actually happens... but you're supposed to continue CPR anyways. I was already shocked to see Joyce laid out dead on the couch, but when the rib broke, it just added to the real feeling of it. Crazy episode.
I know exactly what you mean - everytime i see CPR on tv i am always like "too fake, if it should work you have to do it hard" - and in the real world I guess ribs break a lot under CPR.
Old 06-06-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I'm one of those that feels it should not only have been nominated, it should have won. One of the best hours of television I ever watched.

ravan - weclome aboard.

David_M - when I got my new player earlier this year, they made it so you can turn off regional encoding. I'll be ordering season 4 from europe this week.
Old 06-06-02, 05:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ravan
I know exactly what you mean - everytime i see CPR on tv i am always like "too fake, if it should work you have to do it hard" - and in the real world I guess ribs break a lot under CPR.
Totally. And ER, I'm looking right at you... for a show that is about emergency medical care, you guys do CPR horribly.

Of course, if you did chest compressions on a real person that didn't need it, you could really screw them up. But they're actors! They should be able to figure something out!
Old 06-06-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elektra
I guess I'm one of those that feels it should not only have been nominated, it should have won. One of the best hours of television I ever watched.
Yeah, it's a tough call for me. Equally compelling that season was 'Two Cathedrals', an absolutely incredible hour of The West Wing that was shamefully ignored in favor of more popular episodes. Two of the best hours in the last decade happened to fall in the same season, and neither was nominated. Disgraceful.

das
Old 06-07-02, 12:34 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's nice to see this brought up because I do feel it's the best hour of TV I've ever seen and I watch a lot of TV. Season 5 is actually my favorite season of Buffy, but I'm biased because it was also my first season of Buffy. After Buffy didn't get any nominations that year, I went to IMDB and I was shocked to find out season 5 was the only season that didn't get any emmy nominations. To be fair I would say the 2000-2001 season was my favorite year of TV.
BTW, AFI had their first award show this year and Buffy was nominated for best drama. I assume this covers all of 2001 which would include my 2 favorite Buffy episodes, "The Body" and "The Gift".
Old 06-09-02, 08:08 PM

I can't wait to get The Body on DVD. One of the best episodes ever. It was very differant and you definatly felt like something bad happened to you watching it. I loved how they cut the scoring totally. It almost had a documentary feel a couple times. The unique camera angles were awesome and when Buffy had to tell Dawn about Joyce the first couple time I lost it. Better than most movies I've seen. But I'm a biased Buffy freak so almost all of the shows are better to me. Few compare to The Body though.