Possible news regarding the future of '24'

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Possible news regarding the future of '24'

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with the format is that no one wants to start watching it now, after they've missed so much. How many people watched the 1st 13 episodes of Cheers or Seinfeld? Not many, but with those shows and other shows it didn't matter.
Old 04-10-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A Great Article Explaining the New Format of "24."

Here you go, guys. What do you all think?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Going Into Overtime?
'24' may get new format

By STEPHEN BATTAGLIO
Daily News Staff Writer

After a shaky start in the Nielsen ratings, the innovative Fox drama "24" is now likely to return for a second season.

But what may not be back is the show's unique format, in which a single day unfolds hour by hour over 24 episodes.

As Fox gets ready to pick up the series, executive producers Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran are working on a plan in which "24" would become a more traditional drama series. Each episode would tell an entire story set during a 24-hour period, with no cliffhangers.

That may be a letdown for fans addicted to the nail-biting tension "24" has delivered with counter-terrorist agent Jack Bauer's season-long race to rescue his family from kidnappers and prevent the assassination of a presidential candidate.

"We all love the format," Surnow said. "But there are problems with it. It asks a lot of the viewer. It asks them to tune in every week to follow a story. And that is not typically what research says are the viewing habits of the American public."

Even among the top-rated shows, viewers catch only about eight episodes of their favorite series over the course of a season.

The producers say they prefer sticking with the current format, the survival of which depends on the ratings of the next six weeks. They want to depict another day in the life of Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland, but six months later and presumably after a much-needed rest.

However, if "24" goes to portraying an entire day per episode, they will try to maintain the spirit of their original idea.

"You can retain the title and make some sense out of it," said Cochran. "You can retain some kind of clock that's ticking in the show, some sense of pace, pressure and tension that will spill over from this year's format. But then you provide closure with each episode in a more traditional manner."

A new format is likely to find fans among the network's bean counters. With its current structure, "24" will not be repeated on Fox over the summer, since the conclusion of its season-long story will be known (the show does get repeated on cable's FX). A series with self-contained episodes means the network can get a second prime-time run out of them.

Not having a story line that requires a sustained commitment may also make "24" accessible to a bigger audience.

"It's not going to be as unique, but I do think it will open it up to a larger range of viewers," said Stacy Lynn Koerner, senior vice president and director of broadcast research at media-buying firm Initiative Media. "But they have to keep the suspense of every single episode."
Old 04-10-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CarlosTheDwarf
The problem with the format is that no one wants to start watching it now, after they've missed so much. How many people watched the 1st 13 episodes of Cheers or Seinfeld? Not many, but with those shows and other shows it didn't matter.
Correction: the problem is with the American television audience. They have contracted a nasty case of SUCK and refuse to take any medication. While I think the writing on 24 has declined measurably since the earlier episodes, it's still a bold attempt at something new. Why the audience cannot at least give it a chance is beyond me. It's as if no one will watch a show unless told that enough people think it's good. Think for yourselves, dammit. Argh ... so frustrating. I wouldn't care so much about other people's behavior if it didn't so directly impact the quality of television.

das
Old 04-10-02, 06:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My bad for closing the thread in which the above article appeared. I saw the same quote from the same person in both articles, and wrongly assumed they were the same article. Merging thread with ongoing discussion about the future of "24."

Last edited by Static Cling; 04-10-02 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-10-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Static...

Why did you cancel my thread about the new "24" article? I checked this thread before I posted it, and while both articles are somewhat similar, the one I wanted to share really goes into depth of the new proposed format, and the reasoning behind it.

Read it yourself if you haven't. If anyone likes the show, it's a very good and informative article.
Old 04-10-02, 09:18 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Jadzia

I still don't understand why a Season 2 show would have to take place "immediately" after this one.

Why not have the next season take place a year or two later?
That wasn't what I meant. Sorry for not being clear. I was thinking next season instead of the next day, but I think there are some problems bringing back Jack Bauer even if you flash forward two or so years. If you try to work in more than a few of the CTU characters it would be awfully contrived IMO.
Old 04-10-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't understand why a Season 2 show would have to take place "immediately" after this one.

Why not have the next season take place a year or two later?

I'm pretty sure Jack will come out a hero after all this, and Palmer might eventually become President.

You could have Jack & Palmer working on a big terrorist crisis together.
that would have some definite possiblities in my book. just as long as palmer's wife got ditched. i can't stand her.
Old 12-29-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it would be that hard for the writers to come up with another "24 hour" storyline.

They should have it take place a year later, with Palmer as President. Bauer is now head of CTU and he uncovers a terrorist plot to attack some large American target. He has 24 hours to stop the bombing or whatever.

Or, hell, make all of LA a target so he's have to save his and everyone else's families.
I was skimming old 24 threads and thought this was funny, since Jadzia predicted it perfectly. However, for a third season, the second idea she had (European split time) was also good to give the show some variety.

Can we all agree that it's a GOOD thing they didn't change the format of the show? I think this season is better than the first.
Old 12-29-02, 01:20 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

I thought the format was crucial too, so much so I would have had them tell a completely unrelated story with new characters instead of ditch the format. While the timing of some events, especially car travel in LA, have been suspect at least the central premise is there.

I was skeptical about them coming up with another good Jack Bauer story, but I think this season is just as good if not better.
Old 12-29-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree this season has been very solid. Last season was so cliched, I half expected Bobby Ewing to step out of the shower. They seem to have done a solid job maintaining the overall premise while dropping a lot of the crap (*cough* amnesia *cough*). Of course, it was at about this time last season that everything started to turn to mush, but I imagine most -- if not all -- of that was due to renewal problems, so hopefully, they can continue at this pace for the whole 24 hours.

As for the concept, I still would rather them go with the idea of telling a completely different story with the same actors mixed up as different characters. I'm sure ol' Keifer wouldn't take kindly to not being the center of the show, but it would be really cool. It would also require talented actors and writers to pull it off; however, then it would be truly groundbreaking television. As it stands now, the 24-hour format isn't really that special, particularly the loose way they handle it.

das
Old 12-29-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I give season 2 thumps up also
Old 12-29-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anybody remember the mid-90's ABC series Murder One? Daniel Benzali was an attorney who defended a client charged w/ murder. The whole season followed this one case only, in all of it's permutations (looking for evidence, maneuvering w/ the court and the prosecution, keeping the defendant's spirits up). It was critically acclaimed, but got mediocre ratings.

They got the brilliant idea that the format needed to change the next year. Benzali walked, Anthony La Paglia (who's sort of the 90's version of Ted McGinley) came in, and it turned into Sorta The Practice, and died a deserved death. If theyu ever change the format in such a predicatble way w/ 24, a similar fate awaits it.
Old 12-29-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That first season of Murder One was absolutely brilliant. Incredible cast too (pulling some faves from Hill Street and L.A. Law): D.B. Woodside, Barbara Bosson, Dylan Baker, Donna Murphy, Bobbi Phillips (schwing), Patricia Clarkson and the incomparable Stanley Tucci. The concept of following a murder trial, in complete detail, from start to finish was fascinating. Television like that is just too brave for the American audience.

das
Old 12-30-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
That first season of Murder One was absolutely brilliant. Incredible cast too (pulling some faves from Hill Street and L.A. Law): D.B. Woodside, Barbara Bosson, Dylan Baker, Donna Murphy, Bobbi Phillips (schwing), Patricia Clarkson and the incomparable Stanley Tucci. The concept of following a murder trial, in complete detail, from start to finish was fascinating. Television like that is just too brave for the American audience.

das
I got in on it late, which is one major reason when 24 was announced, I was determined to watch it from the start and stick with it as long as necessary.

Bobbie Phillips Follows the same template as Krista Allen: talk softly and be built like the proverbial brick outhouse

(I remember a classic Letterman joke @ that show. It was right in the middle of the Simpson trial, which everyone was riveted to, day after day. Dave said "Watch TV and see the same trial for months? People will never go for that..." )
Old 12-31-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol someone ressurected this thread, last post was all the way in april. 8 months later someone decides to give it another response.
Old 12-31-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Excelesor
lol someone ressurected this thread, last post was all the way in april. 8 months later someone decides to give it another response.
You are an observant fellow.

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I was skimming old 24 threads
Old 01-01-03, 03:08 AM

hallelujah! Jadzia is the all-seeing prophet of the Fox schedule. That being said, to Season 2. My Season 1 DVD's are now in the hands of the fourth "converts" to this great series.