Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Watching Ellie' - 3/20/02

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Nobody's) Watching Elie - 3/20

I have to admit, i didn't watch the whole episode this week. Andy Controls the universe will officially dominate this timeslot for me now.

But i did manage to catch it during the commercials of Andy... Boy, They're going to cling to this countdown gimmick like a sinking ship. Seems like they'd give it up and just try to add a little depth to the characters instead of running around frantically in every episode.

Edited thread title - Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 03-20-02 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-20-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you hate Ellie so damn_much then why do you even flip to it? Why start a thread everyweek trying to be funny or something in your title? I know to piss the viewers off. And, really, there is no show called "Watching Elie" -- it is Ellie. At least spell it right.

I actually watched the whole thing (I was wanting to check out the Andy Controls the universe thing, even though I really didn't care for him on Conan and the clip they showed on Regis and Kelly was unfunny. But since you are watching it instead of Ellie, Ill just stick to Ellie ).

I really enjoyed this week's episode with the Earthquake. I found it to be very funny and I am still liking the idea of it being 22 minutes of real time in Ellie's life.

[Edited to remove profanity. Also, I should mention that if someone doesn't like a show, they have every right to discuss thier opinions here. Them taking advantage of this ability does not make it reasonable for you to respond in a hostile manner.]

Last edited by Dead; 03-20-02 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-20-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Eternia
I actually watched the whole thing (I was wanting to check out the Andy Controls the universe thing, even though I really didn't care for him on Conan and the clip they showed on Regis and Kelly was unfunny. But since you are watching it instead of Ellie, Ill just stick to Ellie ).
I did too esp. since FOX was no doubt going to re-run the Andy... pilot anyway (had no idea it would be as soon as this THURSDAY!?!?!).

I also have to agree - the joke was funny the first few times it was done, but atleast then the thread was started by someone who actually WATCHED the show. Geez, ClarkKentKY... that is the epitome of suck, starting a thread that craps on itself.

I like this show. It IS funny and funny in a more completely non-offensive way than much comedy programming on today. It is a charming and fun show that needs some breathing room for the characters to grow on you - I mean you only get to see a continuous 22 minutes of their lives each week so it will take some time. I guess the MTV "I need it NOW or lose my attention forever" set will ultimately opt out on this show. Big loss - tucked amongst Frazier and Scrubs, I doubt that was the audience for which NBC was fishing.

I love Ellie's sister (the actress is Julia's real-life sister) when she and Ellie are in scenes together - they are a hoot. This episode actually worked better than all previous ones as they managed to tie in the entire cast in an amusing premise. Also we now see how much Ellie is falling for the married boyfriend. The show actually gets rather emotionally complicated for the strict 22 minutes it shows the viewers.
Old 03-20-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan

I did too esp. since FOX was no doubt going to re-run the Andy... pilot anyway (had no idea it would be as soon as this THURSDAY!?!?!).
Oh man, does FOX have no shows that they repeat this one in the same week it already aired? I am probbaly going to check it out since I heard some Power Rangers parody happens with them in the end.

Anyway, I agree about your comments on Ellie rfduncan. I think that in time the characters will be developed to what ClarkKentKY wants them to be. The key words are in time. I also agree that this week we really got a good look into how Ellie is with her married boyfriend. This is not your "typical" sitcom like I am sure Andy is.
Old 03-20-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Watching Ellie' - 3/20/02

This thread is for discussion of the show Watching Ellie. I'm not going to post in a thread with a childish title week after week. The other thread can be discussion about hating a show you don't watch. This thread is for discussion of the show itself. I don't think it's fair to expect those who watch the show to post in a thread with a degrading title, even if it was the first one posted.

So, I watched it again, and it was pretty entertaining. It's not your typical sit-com, and that is enough to keep me coming back a few times, but it's really establishing itself. The characters are very interesting, and JLD can pull off being in every scene. The final moment had me in stiches ...

"Well, aren't you a brave wittle guy ..."
"Actually, you guys are the brave ones."

I like it. It's offbeat, has some substance, and some interesting characters. I'll keep watching.

das
Old 03-20-02, 10:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To keep the forum a little tidier, I did some editing and merging.
Old 03-20-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Static Cling
To keep the forum a little tidier, I did some editing and merging.
Works for me. I don't care if someone hates the show and/or doesn't watch it, just so long as I'm not having to discuss the contents of the show in a poorly named thread ... kinda insulting. Your solution seems to cover everyone. Thanks.

On topic, I wonder how the show will do with Andy Richter Controls the Universe now in the timeslot. I watched both, but I'm sure some of the "28 Million Viewers" jumped ship, and even though I was entertained with Ellie, if forced to choose one, I'd choose Richter.

das
Old 03-20-02, 11:33 AM

I have to say that I am liking 'Watching Ellie' more and more each week. This episode was by far the strongest yet. I think the two neighbors are hilarious, and if they can keep the show on the air, the ensemble will start to come together even more.

And ClarkKentKY, give it up. The 'countdown gimmick' isn't the beast that you make it out to be. I don't even notice it once the show gets going. If you would have watched the entire episode, you would have seen that the characters were starting to develop right before your eyes. Please refrain from commenting (and badmouthing) an episode when you freely admit that you didn't even see the entire thing.
Old 03-20-02, 12:30 PM
Banned

Sonofa....... I've missed all Watching Ellie episodes since the premiere. I wanted to catch them, but Tuesday night is hard for me. Anyone know where I can download or buy them?
Old 03-20-02, 12:48 PM

I Got on here at 11:30 .. There was still no Ellie thread started yet... The thread title was one-part "Why isnt' there an Ellie thread this week?" (a thread title type that we see alot in this forum) ... And one part taking a rib at a show I don't particularly like. Perhaps my intent would have been better with a "?" in the title, to suggest an interogitive: "Nobody's watching ellie?"

... You'll also notice in my original post, i didn't flame the show at all. In fact i fully admitted i didn't watch the show, i just started the thread to see if anyone else did. The only part of the show that i did mention, is my dislike for the "22-minutes-in-the-life-of" format that they seem to be sticking to, but i think weakens the show, and weakens the ability of an otherwise talented cast. It also limits them in the type of stories that they can tell. Overall i think it just limits the show all for the sake of being "catchy"

(I'd apologize to the genuine fans of the show, but theres just too many personal attacks up there. A wise man once said: "Cooler heads prevail")