Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anybody else miss UNSOLVED MYSTERIES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Anybody else miss UNSOLVED MYSTERIES?

It has been off the air for a few years now, but I still miss it. It was a classier, scarier version of America's Most Wanted (which is thankfully still on the air). The stories about ghosts and miracles and so forth were of course complete hokum, but many of crime-mystery and unexplained disappearance stories are still seared into my memory. Too bad the show was cancelled.

It seems like the trend in television is moving away from crime/documentary shows. For a while, there were quite a few to choose from, particularly on A&E (Bill Curtis's quality productions), and TLC (the superb, now essentially defunct Medical Detectives), but those two channels show virtually nothing but reruns now.

I guess I'll be watching less and less TV.
Old 03-03-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least the reruns are still on Lifetime, right? Well, that's what i heard.
Old 03-03-02, 01:45 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifetime started showing new episodes of UM last year (not sure if they still are), but the few new ones I caught were garbage. Lots of family reunions, updates, and updates on family reunions.

Plus they still show the older ones in every slot that Golden Girls isn't on. I know this because my girlfriend keeps filling my TiVo with both shows (even though she's seen every eps. of both shows 100's of times).
Old 03-03-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts
I used to love this show when it was on. That spooky theme music still puts a shiver down my spine when I hear it.

I know most of them were bunk, but I loved the Ghosts/UFO/supernatural segments the best. The lost love/family reunions were always the worst.

The "unexplained death" segments were also good (and creepy), I still remember the segment about the guy who chopped up his whole family, burned and buried their remains in the woods, then moved to Europe only to be spotted by one of his old co-workers in the bathroom of a train station. The way they filmed it scared me more than any 'scary' movie I've ever seen.

every once in a while I'l catch an episode on Lifetime, I notice that they update old segments they run. But personally, I think the show sort of lost it's appeal when they brought in Kealy Shaye Smith (ironic considering I find her most appealing )
Old 03-03-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Stay-Puft and Pac-Rat,
We don't get Lifetime up here in Canada. I'd love to watch some of the old reruns.

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
I used to love this show when it was on. That spooky theme music still puts a shiver down my spine when I hear it.

I know most of them were bunk, but I loved the Ghosts/UFO/supernatural segments the best. The lost love/family reunions were always the worst.

The "unexplained death" segments were also good (and creepy), I still remember the segment about the guy who chopped up his whole family, burned and buried their remains in the woods, then moved to Europe only to be spotted by one of his old co-workers in the bathroom of a train station. The way they filmed it scared me more than any 'scary' movie I've ever seen.

every once in a while I'l catch an episode on Lifetime, I notice that they update old segments they run. But personally, I think the show sort of lost it's appeal when they brought in Kealy Shaye Smith (ironic considering I find her most appealing )

Yes, the original theme music was incredibly effective and catchy, but around the mid-'90s they started using a watered-down version that wasn't nearly as creepy.

The family mass-murder segment you're thinking of concerned Brad Bishop. The story has also been shown on America's Most Wanted several times as well, but the scum is still out there. The co-worker should've grabbed him in Italy while he had the chance.

I agree that the show was better off without Kealy. Her glamorous, lightweight presence detracted from the otherwise gloomy ambience that the show created.
Old 03-03-02, 09:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
For sure! This and Rescue 911 (with William Shatner). I see reruns of this on Lifetime sometimes though.