Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Watching Elie Premiere (2/26)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 07:37 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watching Elie Premiere (2/26)

What do you guys think of the show? I'm watching it right now and theres the guy from Fargo fixing an overflowing toilet. Interesting.
Old 02-26-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
no laugh track and a clock counting down something.
Old 02-26-02, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by whotony
and a clock counting down something.
I think it's counting down to the cancellation of the show
Old 02-26-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cancelling Elie

Horrible.

1. The REALTIME format is horrible for a 30minute sitcom.
2. Right off the bat we find out she's sleeping with a married man... (so much for liking the character; even Elaine didnt' do that)
3. Is it just me, or was the whole show a series of awkward conversations?
4. 30 seconds of my life was wasted watchign her walk down the stairs.. all for the sake of the show's gimmick...
5. The show is ultimatly doomed for one reason above all else. With the 22 minute realtime watching of elie, it means she will have to be on every second of the show... That'll never work.

I dare say inside swartz was a better constructed show.
Old 02-26-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show was decent, but the real time gimmick would be better suited for a 1 hour show. Also, nothing in it made me actually want to see it again. It will probably be cancelled soon. As I said in another thread I don't see why all these Seinfeld people don't get together for another sitcom if they want to do another one so bad.
Old 02-26-02, 09:40 PM
Banned

From this first episode I can tell two things:

1) The supporting cast really sucks.

2) Julia Louis-Dreyfus is HOT!
Old 02-27-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
For the most part I wasn't too impressed, but let's remember this was just the first epsiode, they always suck.

things I liked about it:
-No laugh track: takes some getting used to, but I hate being told when something is (supposedly) funny.

-Peter Stormare (the guy from Fargo): I enjoy him in almost everything he does, and let's face it, the guy's been in almost everything lately.

-Julia Louis-Dreyfus running around in a bra for the first five minutes of the show: 'nuff said.

However, that countdown clock has got to go if this show has any chance of surviving. Like ClarkKentKY said: we don't need to see Ellie on screen the entire time, we don't need to see the entire trip down the five flights of stairs, etc...
Old 02-27-02, 12:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I honestly think the 22 minutes was a gimmick, and in fact I would love to have seen it be 24 minutes

I liked how it started out and if every week we have to be subjected to JLD in her Bra then count me in

Shows really need to do something to hook viewers in on the 1st one, so all the ground rules are laid, you meet the main characters.

I will watch again next week.
Old 02-27-02, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it. Didn't laugh a whole lot but it kept me interested.

I like the oddball format......who the hell wants more of the same anyway.

Hence the title "Watching" Ellie.

I hope they at least give it chance like they did with the rest of the Seinfeld hacks.
Old 02-27-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
I think it's counting down to the cancellation of the show

das
Old 02-27-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, this was pretty weak. I like the concept of a series of oddball and ironically realistic conversations, but the writing wasn't good enough to sustain it. Steve Carell and Don Lake stole the show. The second Carell showed up, I just started laughing, and he was easily the best supporting character on the show. JLD's good enough to carry a wacky show like this, but the writing just wasn't there.

I'll keep watching it, if only to support something that's different. I can't take another stupid formulaic sit-com. Maybe this will turn out to be something worth watching after a few more episodes, but I fear my prediction of NBC's overpromotion killing the show. Stay tuned all week for the "XX Million Viewers Tuned in to Watching Ellie" promos.

das
Old 02-27-02, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Awful.

Look for a Seinfeld alum-cancellation hat trick.

This will be ****canned by the end of April.
Old 02-27-02, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

unfortunately, i came in a couple of minutes late to this show so i only got to see JLD in her bra for half the time that everyone else did. anyway, this was ok, but certainly not spectacular. whether or not i continue to watch this depends on what they do in the next couple of weeks. this first episode certainly wasn't laugh out loud hilarious.
Old 02-27-02, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the oddball format......who the hell wants more of the same anyway.
Exactly. I'll keep watching it just for the sake that it is different.
Old 02-27-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was different. It's good to have another show that doesn't follow the punchline after punch line formula. So I'll give it a chance. It started out okay, but then when her S.O. came in I just lost all ineterest. This show doesn't have a chance without a laugh track.

I'm sorry, but I think she's got an odd looking face. She should probably put a bag over it.
Old 02-27-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
The problem with this kind of format is it totally eliminates the possibility of doing any good self-conatined stories as 22 minutes isn't much time to establish and resolve a whole plot. Sounds to me like NBC is going for the 24 format with a comic twist. Won't work.
Old 02-27-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As we all know, it's tough to judge a show based on the pilot... even the best shows out there had VERY awkward first eps.

That being said... this show has some MAJOR problems.

The first being that it isn't funny. I always welcome the lack of a laugh track, but it seems like the actual comedy went out with it.

Now, if the show isn't funny, it at least has to be dramatic/interesting/quirky... something to keep me watching. What we saw last night was JLD getting dressed, having problems with her toilet, crossing the street, and singing. Umm... my day at work was more interesting than that.

I think the gimmick is fine (although I'd guess that it'll be gone within a few episodes), but the show has to get more interesting. Watching a bunch of boring, unfunny characters run errands for 22 minutes will not draw in an audience.

I think the next few episodes will give us a better sense of how this is going, since this one was obviously just to set up the show and introduce the half dozen characters that we will see on a regular basis. But things aren't lookin' good.
Old 02-27-02, 11:38 AM
Banned

From what I read in Entertainment Weekly, the second show is better than the premier. I believe there was even talk of showing the second episode first. Here's what Entertainment Weekly wrote:

"...The net debated whether to kick off the series with the understated pilot (Ellie rushes to a gig but gets waylaid by the quirky people in her life) or replace it with the zanier second episode (Ellie flashes her breasts at a tow truck driver who stands between her and the car containing the sheet music she needs to sing at her friend's wedding). 'It is goofier,'' says Louis-Dreyfus of the second episode. 'But there's something to be said for a strong second episode. And there's so much information in the pilot.' NBC ultimately agreed and will air the pilot first."

Let's hope for a better show next week.
Old 02-27-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show was ok. JLD was looking good in it

I will continue watching. I actually liked the clock countdown for some odd reason.
Old 02-27-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder how long her breasts can carry this show?
Old 02-28-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to admit I lauged out loud a couple of times during this episode. The ex-boyfriend stuff was just ludicrous - why would she give him the time of day period not to mention when she is running late?

Am I the only one who took the time to stop gawking at JLD lingeried breasts to notice the nudity in this episode? You could totally see the vet/neighbor's ass when he hopped out of the tub to help Ellie! It was behind the transparent NBC logo for most of the time, but it was STILL ASS on national television in the 8:30pm primetime timeslot. Hmm... maybe I just imagined that segment....
Old 02-28-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Stay tuned all week for the "XX Million Viewers Tuned in to Watching Ellie" promos.
By the way, das... it was 20 million. Caught the breathless ad during West Wing last night.
Old 02-28-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bboisvert
By the way, das... it was 20 million. Caught the breathless ad during West Wing last night.

NBC is so predictable. I thought about starting a poll last week on when the first "XX Million" ad would run and how many million viewers it would be. NBC doesn't seem to understand that what's important is how many viewers tune in to the second episode after seeing the first. Thanks for the info. That made my day.

das
Old 02-28-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ

-Julia Louis-Dreyfus running around in a bra for the first five minutes of the show: 'nuff said.
Um...Pics?
Old 02-28-02, 11:29 AM
Banned

I haven't found any screen grabs from the show yet, but here's a nice pic:

Last edited by Jim in Cincy; 02-28-02 at 12:33 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.