Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gilmore Girls -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I'm not adverse to "girl" shows and am a huge fan of Sex and the City, but something about this show always rubbed me the wrong way. The way it's shot, the dialogue, the staging, I just can't stand it.
Old 05-16-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20038872,00.html
Sean Gunn, aka Stars Hollow's resident buffoon Kirk, was mentally prepared for Gilmore Girls to end its seven-season run — just not for how he found out about it on the same day as fans did. ''I got a text message from Cher, the season 2 winner of Beauty and the Geek,'' he says, kindly pausing for laughter. '''Sorry to hear about your show.' That's how I found out it had just got canceled.'' Because the series' fate hadn't been decided at the time of last month's annual wrap party, the cast never got the blow-out they deserved. To give Gunn a proper send-off, we asked him to countdown his Top 10 favorite Kirk episodes. It was the least we could do...especially if we wanted to hear the words ''Cat Kirk'' again.

10. Season 3's ''Haunted Leg''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Kirk asks Lorelei (Lauren Graham) out on a date. ''She's worried the whole episode, How am I gonna get around this?, and then in the last scene she says, 'Oh, you're a nice guy, but we should just be friends,' and Kirk is very upset. It's actually one of the closest things I have to a dramatic moment on the show, even though it's kinda absurd. I'd like to believe that Lorelei made a massive mistake there.''

9. Season 3's ''They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Lorelei is determined to keep Kirk from winning the Stars Hollow dance marathon yet again. ''The final moment, where I'm hoisting my trophy and running around to the theme from Rocky, is one of my favorites. I wish I could say I improvised that, but I didn't. That was all in the script.''

8. Season 5's ''Blame Booze and Melville''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Luke (Scott Patterson) and Kirk put in competing bids on the Twickham house. ''I get to really be a villain in that episode, which I enjoy. I'd always rather be a jerk than a loser. Unfortunately, Kirk usually skews more toward loser.''

7. Season 3's ''Face-Off''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Kirk announces the hockey game. ''I have a line that I love: 'So it's back to the desert for the [Stars Hollow] Minutemen, perhaps for another 40 years. Of course, by then, I'll be 70 years old. A lot of the rest of you will probably be dead. Taylor, you'll be dead. Babbette, Miss Patty...that man there in the hat.'''

6. Season 2's ''Teach Me Tonight''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... A Film by Kirk has its world premiere. ''There's a Stars Hollow film festival, and every year, Taylor [Michael Winters] shows The Yearling. Lorelei's like, 'Oh god, let's show something better this year,' so she's [put] in charge of it. Kirk goes to her and says, 'I don't know if you know this, but I'm an auteur and I've been working on this short film for five years.' And then it's this bizarre, black-and-white arty film. When I meet fans, this is one of the two episodes people mention the most. Everybody loves A Film by Kirk.'' (Yes, those were his own dance moves.)

5. Season 2's ''A-Tisket, A-Tasket''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Kirk wins the basket Sookie (Melissa McCarthy) made for Jackson (Jackson Douglas) at the annual Stars Hollow Picnic Basket Auction. ''We shot it when I was still just a guest star, going from episode to episode. It was the first time they gave Kirk any sort of backstory. Jackson comes to me, and we have a scene on a park bench that for whatever reason is still just about my favorite scene I've ever done on the show. I say [to him], 'Look, you don't understand, some of us don't have girlfriends to make baskets for them, and I grew up in a house with 12 brothers and sisters and nobody ever made me a basket.' I end up selling him back the basket for like $250, and ask him for two forms of ID for a check. It's funny, but it's kinda sad, too.''

4. Season 4's ''Raincoats and Recipes''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Kirk runs naked through Luke and Lorelei's kiss outside the newly opened Dragonfly Inn. ''Everybody remembers the maniacal yelling, but I prefer the earlier scene that sets it up. I go and talk to Luke and tell him I have these night terrors. 'I'm used to it now, but I don't want to end up ninja-kicking or strangling Lulu [Rini Bell] in her sleep.' It's just very matter-of-fact.'' Uh-huh, but back to the nudity. ''That pillow really is all I got. I remember after the first take, walking by [Graham and Patterson]. They were kinda laughing, kinda uncomfortable. I said, 'Was I too big?' I think that broke the tension a little bit.''

3. Season 5's ''Jews and Chinese Food''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Kirk plays Tevia in the elementary school's production of Fiddler on the Roof. ''Here's the backstory: Before Gilmore Girls even started, [executive producers Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino] had gone to see a friend's young child in a production of Fiddler on the Roof, and Tevia was played by an enormous black man, who was the music director of the school. They said it was one of the most bizarre things they've ever seen, and they knew they had to recreate it. But for years they couldn't get the rights [to Fiddler]. We used the same backstory: The role's too big, none of the kids can do it, and so we needed an adult. It's hysterical because Kirk is singing ''Do You Love Me?'' to an 8-year-old girl, but at the same time, Luke and Lorelei are listening and having a moment. To me, that makes for good TV: when you can simultaneously contrast something totally absurd with something kinda dramatic and touching.''

2. Season 3's ''A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Kirk gets a cat that he names Kirk. ''This is the other episode fans say is their favorite. What I really like about it is that all the action takes place offscreen, which to me is always funnier. The last scene, where Kirk is bandaged and describing how Cat Kirk is terrorizing him, is the only time in the whole seven years of doing the show that I can remember doing a take, and having Dan Palladino say, 'Sean, that was a little too big. Can you bring it down a little bit?'''

1. Season 4's ''The Festival of Living Art''
Spoiler:

It's the one where... Stars Hollow hosts a pose-as-famed-artwork festival, and Kirk goes ''Method'' while playing Jesus in Da Vinci's ''The Last Supper.'' ''I love that episode because everything works. Everything that happens is hilarious. It was also the number-one most grueling episode to shoot for me. The makeup artists won an Emmy for that show [the only one Gilmore Girls ever won], which they richly deserved. It looked fantastic. It didn't look like — I'm trying to think of a polite way to diss the WB — shoddy production values. Actually, there is a great still photo from that episode, where it looks like a nice little tableau of 'The Last Supper,' but it's all people and I'm in the middle as Jesus. I had a bunch of copies framed and gave them to my family members for Christmas that year.''
Old 05-16-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Notice that the vast majority of those "favorite" moments are from seasons 2 and 3
Old 05-16-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rmick
I don't get why people are blaming ASP for the horrible plot line we got at the beginning of the season? Having Chris and Lorelai get married was just one of the many paths the writers could have taken from the end of the 6th season.
Agreed....ASP backed them into a corner....but the way out of a corner is to step out of it slowly - not smash a hole in the wall behind you!
Old 05-17-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rmick
I don't get why people are blaming ASP for the horrible plot line we got at the beginning of the season? Having Chris and Lorelai get married was just one of the many paths the writers could have taken from the end of the 6th season.
This is true- everything I read indicated that Lorelai and Christopher's sleeping together was going to be Lorelai's catalyst for getting back together with Luke. It was Rosenthal's (and, I suspect, Lauren Graham's) decision to run with it and turn it into the mess it became.
Old 05-17-07, 08:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still think ASP left a lot of things in a crummy state when she left, not just the 'Lorelai in bed with Christopher' scene. That doesn't excuse the new producers from making matters even worse, but still... it's not like the show was perfect, classic Gilmore Girls up until that final scene in season 6.
Old 05-17-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think ASP left things in such a bad state last season in order to really try to bolster her bargaining position to squeeze 2 more seasons out of the CW, but the CW just wasn't going to go for 2 seasons, and the new show runner Rosenthal was left holding the bag.
Old 05-19-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, one could pick apart small story details. But really, what's the point? Ultimately, you cared a damn lot about what happens to the characters. You feel their nostalgia with them, you feel their sorrow, you feel their joy. Credit where credit is due - all the writers - ASP and the ones from this season - did a great job. It's the entire journey that mattered; not one or two storylines that you didn't like. Kudos to the actors as well. Fantastic ride - one of my favorite series of all time.
Old 05-19-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hahn
Yes, one could pick apart small story details. But really, what's the point? Ultimately, you cared a damn lot about what happens to the characters. You feel their nostalgia with them, you feel their sorrow, you feel their joy. Credit where credit is due - all the writers - ASP and the ones from this season - did a great job. It's the entire journey that mattered; not one or two storylines that you didn't like. Kudos to the actors as well. Fantastic ride - one of my favorite series of all time.
I honestly couldn't say it better myself. This series is definatly a testament to how amazing a television show can be when the right group of characters are placed together. And lets be honest now, nobody watched this series for the plot-lines, it was all about how the characters interacted with one another. GILMORE GIRLS was the sweetest, most imaginative, and memorable television show I've ever had the amazing pleasure of watching. I can only hope to be involved with something half as magical when I graduate from college, and I'm proud to say that GG (faults and all) is my most favorite television show EVER.
Old 05-19-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hahn
Credit where credit is due - all the writers - ASP and the ones from this season - did a great job.
No, they really didn't. Leaving aside the plot entirely, the writing for this season was mostly flat and had almost no resemblance to the sharp and witty writing of the first six years. They had almost no idea what these characters were about or how to write for them.

I've said before that even though I (and many others) felt the show's plot was letting us down in the sixth season, the quality of the dialogue was still up there. This was just not true in this last season, and to pretend otherwise is to diminish ASP's relevance to the show.
Old 05-19-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think people are remembering the ASP era a bit too fondly. There was just as much bitching about the Rory/Lorelai split and Rory's "taking a break from school/jailtime" plotline (among others) as there was about the stuff Rosenthal was coming up with.

That's not to say ASP didn't do a great job, because the early years certainly were the best.

I thought this was a pretty serviceable finale, given where things were left last year. I was thoroughly entertained this year, which is all that matters to me with this show, so I'm going to give Rosenthal a little credit.
Old 05-19-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
I think people are remembering the ASP era a bit too fondly. There was just as much bitching about the Rory/Lorelai split and Rory's "taking a break from school/jailtime" plotline (among others) as there was about the stuff Rosenthal was coming up with.
I'd suggest you're not remembering the ASP era fondly enough. There was complaining about that stuff, but it didn't go near the low that the new regime came up (the France episode). Of course, that's why opinions are like... you get the point.
Old 05-20-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If anyone in L.A. missed it, it's on now.
Old 05-20-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I caught the last 10 minutes when the CW aired it again. *sniff*
Old 05-23-07, 02:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Question: So, what gives? There is no way you could still be at Fox's upfront party. Did you track down AS-P, and, if so, what were the final four words she had in mind for Gilmore Girls?— Katrina

Ausiello: OK, here's the deal: Yes, I tracked her down, but, no, she did not cough up those elusive four words. But wait — there's more. And it's good. No, amazing. No, un-frakkin'-believable. Amazing, even. Wait, did I say that already? Well, it's true. Because just as I was about to brand her a big ol' promise-breaker right there in front of all those industry types, Amy explained why she couldn't divulge her long-ago-planned Gilmore ending. (Gilmore fanatics: This is the time in Sprockets when you either lean on a heavy object or just sit down.) In the next year or two, she hopes to make — wait for it — a two-hour Gilmore Girls TV-movie that ties up all those loose threads! I nearly fell over when she said it — especially given what she told me back in December. (BTW, lest you think Amy was pulling my leg, her partner in life and in showbiz, Dan Palladino, confirmed that a GG reunion pic is something they're interested in pursuing.) And I wasn't the only one floored by this development. "She said what?" gasped Scott Patterson after I relayed the information to him over the phone. "I didn't think she would be interested in doing something like that. But if she says she is, I would seriously consider it." Alexis Bledel was equally stunned. "A Gilmore Girls reunion?" she said with a laugh. "That's certainly not something I had thought of doing. That's really funny, I have no idea how I would feel in a few years. I don't know, I'm sure the script Amy would write would be great, but I guess I'd have to read it and see how I felt at the time." Last but not least, Lauren Graham e-mailed me late last night to say, "Could be a fun idea if everyone wanted to do it. I would do it just to get the four final words out of Amy. They torture me." Stand by for a comment from Warner Bros. big cheese Peter Roth.
http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Co...o/default.aspx

This seems like a bad idea.
Old 05-23-07, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
While I thought the series finale was much better that I expected it to, that doesn't mean I'll ever turn down more Gilmore Girls... especially if we get those 4 words. Although I hope this movie, if it happens, is set like 5 years in the future or something, so were able to see more of the girls life and stuff...

Man... This made my WEEK!
Old 05-23-07, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Usually, I wouldn't like this idea, but given the fact that they did not know officially that the last show was actually the last show of the series, it would give them some time to work out the proper ending. Even though this episode was supposed to be able to serve as a season and series finale, I'd like one that was planned in advance as a series finale.
Old 05-23-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If ASP writes it, I'll watch it.
Old 05-23-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The possible ASP four words, broken down by character:

LORELEI: “Michel! Take me now!”

RORY: “Mom, Sookie just exploded.”

LUKE: “Jess! Your hands!! Glowing!!!”
Old 05-23-07, 08:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd like to give ASP a crack and wrapping it with a nice bow.

The interim guys did a credible job of landing the ship, it would be nice to ASP put her final take on her baby
Old 05-30-07, 03:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just read about this in TV Guide. I wonder how hard it would be to 'undo' or 'redirect' anything that happened last season that might contradict her planned ending. I suppose this isn't all that different than when Kevin Williamson was called back to do the finale for Dawson's Creek after being off the show for several seasons, except that it actually aired as the proper finale during the series run. She could always do the revisionist history thing and simply ignore any plot developments she didn't like, but that would just confuse and frustrate people even more.
Old 05-30-07, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I just read about this in TV Guide. I wonder how hard it would be to 'undo' or 'redirect' anything that happened last season that might contradict her planned ending. I suppose this isn't all that different than when Kevin Williamson was called back to do the finale for Dawson's Creek after being off the show for several seasons, except that it actually aired as the proper finale during the series run. She could always do the revisionist history thing and simply ignore any plot developments she didn't like, but that would just confuse and frustrate people even more.
ASP has already said that if she returns to these characters the project would take place YEARS after the final episode, atleast 5 but more likely 10 or more. She would want to reunion to be about Lorelai and Rory, and not Lorelai and Luke...
Old 07-02-07, 11:45 PM

so i just started watching gilmore girls season 1, watched first 3 eps in a row.. then the next 7 on saturday, and then the next 7 on sunday. really good show, glad i still have 6 more seasons (and rest of season 1) to watch
Old 02-27-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Gilmore Girls *Series Finale* - "Bon Voyage" - 5/15/07

Just finished rewatching GG on Netflix--finale is still just fine, nothing special. The seventh season is pretty terrible all around though, the dialogue is mostly functional, and so many plotlines are obviously them either not knowing what to do (Lorelai and Christopher getting married and then divorced, Lane having twins after becoming some sort of Christian fundamentalist) or spinning their wheels (April and Luke and the custody battle, Richard's second heart attack, Logan's misadventures in high finance).

The inn is stupidly underused, Rory's new friends are insipid, and with a decade's hindsight all those fresh-faced journalism students fighting for glamorous newspaper careers seem ridiculous. Hell, Rory actually prepares 75 envelopes with paper resumes to mail out. The only decision that sort of works is having Rory go off to write about Obama's first campaign for a website.

I do wonder how the series is doing on Netflix and if there's any chance it would offer ASP a movie or limited run of new episodes to do that reunion storyline.
Old 02-27-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Gilmore Girls *Series Finale* - "Bon Voyage" - 5/15/07

Also, what the hell ever happened with Jackson being town selectman? They just... stopped mentioning it after a while.