Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-25-01, 01:51 AM   #1
BigStinky
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will have an HP 930C Inkjet printer in a few days. And I was checking out the different kinds of paper available.

1.Looks like plain paper for cheapo letters and rough drafts.
2.Inkjet paper for text that you want to be impressive-looking.
3. and Photo Paper for those times when you want to spend $1 per page and really impress.

If I have an HP printer can I use any brand paper (Canon, Epson, etc.) and is there an inexpensive quality paper that you can recommend? Guess I'll be looking for both Inkjet and Photo paper.

Any mailorder/discount printer supply places?

-thx in advance
Old 03-25-01, 09:35 AM   #2
dvdkingster

Printer Paper

I am using an Epson, and use it primarily for making prints of my digital camera pictures, and also for making hard copies of text-heavy web articles. I have a ream of all-purpose paper from Great White. Doesn't produce great results, but it's cheap, and it never runs out. For the photo paper, I've tried four brands. Kodak used to offer a free paper sampling pack, and they were OK. Great White's own photo paper produces somewhat uninspiring color, and Hammermill's brand was all kinds of awful. So the only brand that has produced pleasing results is Epson. I've read that the best paper is usually the same brand as your printer. This stuff is really expensive, and printing errors will break your heart when using the expensive stuff. I recommend using the cutter at Kinko's, and cutting each sheet into quarters. Printing out you digital photos (if that is what you intend to be doing) will become much more economical.
Old 03-25-01, 11:43 AM   #3
BigStinky
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thx, dvd
Within the next 3 months I want to buy a digital camera so yep, I'll want to print out some smaller photos in addition to the larger graphics that I have now. I think HP has 4" X 6" photo paper (20 sheets for around $9 ) - I liked your idea about buying cheaper large sheets and cutting them down to size. Thx for the info

What kind of camera do you have?
Old 03-25-01, 07:27 PM   #4
dvdkingster

Right. I have a Kodak 240i in Blueberry, the likes of which appear to be discontinued now. This is a 1.3 Megapixel point & shoot, and I paid about $450 for it in 1999. Once you get one, you will find that having a digital camera comes in super-handy. As you will no longer have to worry about "wasting film", you will be taking more shots than you ever did with your 35 mm. The real joy comes when you can go out and shoot pictures all afternoon, and immediately open up your images onto your desktop. Retouch and edit them in Photoshop, e-mail 'em to your friends & family, and print 'em out onto Photo Paper. Basically go nuts. Once you start seeing your photos printing out on your HP, that's the day you will laugh at those people who still take their pictures to photo labs. Hope that helps.
Old 04-04-01, 09:50 PM   #5
Startide
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Clint Eastwood
I will have an HP 930C Inkjet printer in a few days. And I was checking out the different kinds of paper available.
-- 1. Looks like plain paper for cheapo letters and rough drafts. (EVERYDAY PAPER)
-- 2. Inkjet paper for text that you want to be impressive-looking. (PREMIUM PRINTING)
-- 3. and Photo Paper for those times when you want to spend $1 per page and really impress.
Your HP DJ-930C printer uses the C6578 colour and 51645 pigment black ink cartridges. (PHOTO PRINTING)

These cartridges work very well with inkjet papers and have the best colour range when using paper that is rated for inkjet use (as opposed to using laser printer paper). Since low-cost inkjet paper is not much different in price from laserprinter paper, there is no reason why one shouldn't use budget inkjet paper for the low-end "plain-paper" printing applications. Paper that is not made for an inkjet will bleed, wick, or even both at the same time.

The black cartridge tends to have an ink volume that is best suited for 24-pound (aka 24#) paper. The 20# paper will soak thru. The colour cart doesn't seem to soak through so 20# will work for colour only. If you mount a picture over a dark substrate, you will note that thicker paper doesn't let the underlayer show through, so that is a consideration.

EVERYDAY PRINTING PAPER RECOMMENDATIONS:

I recommend for low-cost applications that you use the Georgia Pacific "Image Plus" Inkjet paper. It costs $15.95 at Sams Club for a box of 4 reams (2000 sheets total). It has brightness 94 and 24# "thickness". It doesn't wick when printing with C6578 and 51645 carts. I have purchased this paper and use it as my everyday scratch paper. You will be hard pressed to beat this price. It's also made in the USA.

My favourite everyday quality paper for HP inkjets is the HP Bright White paper. You can find it sold at Office Depot at a discount if you buy 2 reams at a time. For final reports is a very nice paper and you can print on both sides without bleed through. It's bleed through resistance is slightly better than the Georgia Pacific paper. I use this paper and you can see amazon.com reviews on it HERE. Le papier made en France. Ooo la la!

PREMIUM PRINTING RECOMMENDATIONS:

For printing extra-sharp photos or text with extra-crisp edges, coated paper is the way to go. All of these papers in this category are matte-coated (non-glossy). Most brands work equally well with the 51645 cartridge, so it falls to the C6578 cart to reveal differences. I have found similar results between the following matte coated papers:
-- Champion Inkjet for Color Prints:Non-Glare Finish (sku MIJ1124). 24# with one-sided coating. The side without a coating is slightly darker which means the coating is brighter white than the underlying paper. Sold at many stores. I would buy this paper again.
-- NCR Premium Color Inkjet Paper. Sold at Costco with sku #91944. Costco doesn't seem to carry this 24# paper anymore. It is coated on one side and the uncoated side is slightly diffrently coloured (because the coating is apparaently whiter than the underlying paper). There was no beating the price of this paper (best anywhere price for coated paper due to Costco). I would buy this paper again.
-- Great White Imaging and Photo Paper: Matte Finish. This 37# paper is coated on both sides and is my favourite. It is stiff enough that you can use it as a self-folded mailer, but it is too thin for use as formal greeting card stock. I would buy this again.
-- HP 51634Y Premium Inkjet paper: You can see Startide's review on this paper at amazon.com HERE.
-- Many other papers. I've tried many others. But I am getting tired of typing now, so I leave it to your own judgement and for someone else to review papers that they've used.

PHOTO PAPER RECOMMENDATIONS:

Too many variables for me to say for this category. I find myself using different types of photo paper for different types of photo images. Depending on how I process the image, I may choose a different paper. It is true that not all glossy photo papers are the same when using different brands of inkjet ink (qv, epson vs HP ink). Sam's Club sells Kodak brand photo paper (glossy on both sides) 100 sheets for $19.99 which is a reasonable price. I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents per sheet unless it was specialty gloss paper (ultra smooth on photopaper substrate). By photopaper substrate I mean the type of paper that you turn it over and see "This Paper Manufactured by Kodak" or "...Fuji" or "...HP".

COMMENT: Photos printed on photo paper may take up to two days to "age" so during that time, they may change their look slightly. I've noticed that some photo papers have a longer aging period than others. So, if you are "showing off" your prints, you may keep this aging in mind. In other words, let the print "age" a day and you will probably see it "improve" a little... Sometimes, people forget this and think, ick, the printout is not so hot, and when they come back an hour later, it looks a little better...

TERMS USED:

bleed --> when the ink soaks through the paper, it is said to bleed through. This is not to be confused with the very different printing term "full bleed" which is printing to the very edge of the sheet of paper. Inkjets do not do full bleed.

wick --> when the ink spreads in spidery lines through capillary action. You can often see this in cheap papers if you look closely at the black text and see think black lines radiating from the edges of the black text. Normally, ink should dry at the place where it was printed and not travel through capillary action on the paper.

[Edited by Startide on 04-19-01 at 04:17 PM]
Old 04-19-01, 12:27 AM   #6
BigStinky
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thx, all

and thanks to startide for the review, it deserves a bump

(been away from the internet for a while, just read the last 2 replies)