Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-24-01, 02:15 PM   #1
POWERBOMB
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, I am new to the Mp3 or whatever you want to call it downloads. I did a search and think that Audiogalaxy sounds like the next best thing to Napster, but after reading the 2nd page of this thread there is some sort of virus that reports info back to a third party.

Obviously, I don't want this to happen, but I don't want my CPU to crash either. Can someone explain clearly what the process is for the spyware and Audiogalaxy downloads and how to prevent it from sending info? Or better yet, just explain to me what info I would be sending.
Old 03-25-01, 12:27 AM   #2
taliboubou

Well it would be sending stuff like a history file of where you go on the net. If its a bastardly spyware it may even collect progs that you run along with registration info, etc. I have d/l audiogalaxy myself and just use zonealarm to deny webhancer access to the internet. I have not tried the ad-aware program yet though I may use it in the future. I haven't tried running audio galaxy with the webhancer blocked though. I have been using napster still and haven't used audiogalaxy for a bit. I'll post later when I run some experiments here.

Land of Taliboubou
Old 03-25-01, 01:10 AM   #3
Knives
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I posted the solution on that thread. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=88322

Go to http://www.zeropaid.com for more file sharing programs.

[Edited by HoMeBrO on 03-24-01 at 11:14 PM]
Old 03-25-01, 01:13 AM   #4
Knives
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by taliboubou
Well it would be sending stuff like a history file of where you go on the net. If its a bastardly spyware it may even collect progs that you run along with registration info, etc. I have d/l audiogalaxy myself and just use zonealarm to deny webhancer access to the internet. I have not tried the ad-aware program yet though I may use it in the future. I haven't tried running audio galaxy with the webhancer blocked though. I have been using napster still and haven't used audiogalaxy for a bit. I'll post later when I run some experiments here.

Yeah, but webenhancer is still gathering stats on you, and eating up your ram, causing windows errors. Never allow spyware on your computer.

[Edited by HoMeBrO on 03-25-01 at 12:09 AM]
Old 03-26-01, 12:52 AM   #5
Original Desmond
DVD Talk Legend

anyone use musiccity ?

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, shag anything in sight