DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-17-17, 04:00 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Excel help? Want to highlight column and row of cell

So, I'm using Excel 2010 at work and I have an ongoing spreadsheet that has grown to a massive size and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Is there a way that I could have both the row and column highlighted so that whatever cell I'm in, the highlighting follows it around (like a targeting computer on a spaceship) ?

I've tried googling, and it's all 3rd party add-ins that I can't use on my work computer.

thanks

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-17-17, 04:05 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Excel help? Want to highlight column and row of cell

Like a magnifying glass? Maybe your monitor has a function line that. A lot of them do. But Excel alone doesn't have a feature like that unless you get said third party software. Maybe just hike up the percentage and enlarge the entire spreadsheet.
Old 05-17-17, 10:08 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

It's not really the size of the fonts, it's me losing track of where I am in the spreadsheet.

And I'm constantly gobsmacked at how often I try to find solutions for issues with Office software and all the hits are for third party hacks. What exactly are they doing at Microsoft these days?

Old 05-18-17, 08:12 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
So, I'm using Excel 2010 at work and I have an ongoing spreadsheet that has grown to a massive size and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Is there a way that I could have both the row and column highlighted so that whatever cell I'm in, the highlighting follows it around (like a targeting computer on a spaceship) ?

I've tried googling, and it's all 3rd party add-ins that I can't use on my work computer.

thanks
So like if you click into cell K22, the K and the 22 are already highlighted by default aren't they? Or was that feature added into 2013? do you want every row/column highlighted to your specific cell?

If so I'd look for a something that sets every cell K1:K21 and A22:J22 to yellow, and does so dynamically based on what cell you have clicked. Doesn't seem horribly complicated, be surprised if there isn't one.
Old 05-18-17, 08:14 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Give this a shot.

https://excel.tips.net/T003114_Magni...rent_Cell.html

Magnifying Only the Current Cell

Spoiler:
Brian asked if there is a way in Excel to magnify the contents of the current cell. He's working on a worksheet which needs to be at a low zoom setting (30% or so) to see the whole sheet. As different scenarios are run, cells change color depending on the result. Brian can easily see which cells he needs to investigate, but he can't read them because of the zoom setting. He normally changes the zoom, reads the answer, and zooms back out to run another scenario. It would be much easier if only the current cell (the one selected) were magnified to a readable level.

There is no built-in method in Excel to accomplish this selective method of zooming, but there are a couple of workarounds you can use. One such workaround is to use a macro that displays the value in the active cell in a message box. Such a macro is easy to add to the worksheet module:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
MsgBox ActiveCell.Address & ": " & ActiveCell.Value
End Sub
Every time you select a different cell in the worksheet, the macro pops up a message box that shows the contents of that cell. This solves the problem, but it can get tiresome to continually close message boxes every time you change which cell is selected.

You could also create a macro that simply changed the font size of whatever cell is currently selected. The following simple macro, added to the worksheet module, looks at the currently selected cell and increases its font size by 500%.

FontSize = ActiveCell.Font.Size
LargeSize = FontSize * 5
Cells.Font.Size = FontSize
ActiveCell.Font.Size = LargeSize
End Sub
The utility of such a macro will depend, of course, on how you have the height and width of the selected cell formatted. If they are static heights and widths, it is possible that increasing the font size will make the cell contents unreadable. If the height and width are dynamic, then the contents should still be quite readable.

Still another approach is to create your own zoomed-in picture of each cell as it is selected:

Private Sub ZoomCell(ZoomIn As Single)
Dim s As Range
Set s = Selection

'Get rid of any existing zoom pictures
For Each p In ActiveSheet.Pictures
If p.Name = "ZoomCell" Then
p.Delete
Exit For
End If
Next

'Create a zoom picture
s.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, _
Format:=xlPicture
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Paste.Select
With Selection
.Name = "ZoomCell"
With .ShapeRange
.ScaleWidth ZoomIn, msoFalse, _
msoScaleFromTopLeft
.ScaleHeight ZoomIn, msoFalse, _
msoScaleFromTopLeft
With .Fill
.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 9
.Visible = msoTrue
.Solid
End With
End With
End With
s.Select
Set s = Nothing
End Sub

In order to use the macro, you need to call it each time the selection in the worksheet changes. To do this, you add a small macro to the worksheet module:

ZoomCell 6
End Sub
In this case, every time the cell selection is changed, the ZoomCell macro is run to create a picture that is six times the size of the original. If it gets bothersome to have the picture automatically change every time you select a different cell, you could do away with the trigger macro in the worksheet module and modify the ZoomCell macro so that it runs whenever you initiate it, perhaps with a shortcut key that you set up.

Sub ZoomCell()
Dim s As Range
Dim ZoomIn As Single
Set s = Selection
ZoomIn = 6

'Get rid of any existing zoom pictures
For Each p In ActiveSheet.Pictures
If p.Name = "ZoomCell" Then
p.Delete
Exit For
End If
Next

'Create a zoom picture
s.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, _
Format:=xlPicture
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Paste.Select
With Selection
.Name = "ZoomCell"
With .ShapeRange
.ScaleWidth ZoomIn, msoFalse, _
msoScaleFromTopLeft
.ScaleHeight ZoomIn, msoFalse, _
msoScaleFromTopLeft
With .Fill
.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 9
.Visible = msoTrue
.Solid
End With
End With
End With
s.Select
Set s = Nothing
End Sub
A final option is to step outside of Excel entirely and rely on Windows. One of the accessibility tools provided with the operating system is called Magnifier. The program magnifies the area near the mouse pointer, overlaying another area of the screen with the enlarged image. You can use this tool by choosing Start | All Programs | Accessories | Accessibility | Magnifier. You'll see the magnified area appear at the top of your screen, and a dialog box that allows you to set different options for the program. When you no longer need the magnification, you can turn it off by clicking Exit on the dialog box.
Old 05-18-17, 10:43 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I should have clarified, when I'm looking for the specific cell, it's usually blank and I'm going to it to put something in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
So like if you click into cell K22, the K and the 22 are already highlighted by default aren't they? Or was that feature added into 2013? do you want every row/column highlighted to your specific cell?

If so I'd look for a something that sets every cell K1:K21 and A22:J22 to yellow, and does so dynamically based on what cell you have clicked. Doesn't seem horribly complicated, be surprised if there isn't one.
This is more what I'm talking about, whatever cell I'm in, I'd want all the rows and columns matching that to be highlighted.

Here's a link with what I'm talking about, but again it's a third party hack

http://datapigtechnologies.com/blog/...ow-and-column/

Thanks all, I'll just keep working with what I have for now.