DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-21-17, 03:14 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sluggish...suggestions on troubleshooting a desktop

I built a desktop 3 years ago. Specs are below. Up until a couple of months ago, all I used this for was for processing photos for my photography business. I could run Lightroom and Photoshop and do a volume of processing with barely any lag time. Then my daughter asked...."Can I play Sims on it?"

I installed Sims 4, and it played great for her. Little did I know, she downloaded some "free" games being offered through ads on the game. And soon after, I started trying to process pictures, there's been a huge lag. I can tell (and hear) the fans all kicking in like they're overclocking or something. I went ahead and uninstalled the games, and ran antivirus programs, registry cleanup programs, Spybot Search and Destroy, but nothing so far has rooted out anything bad. Any suggestions on what to look for? Bad memory? (although according to Iolo System Mechanic, everything is good).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Case - Corsair Desktop Case 760T
Power Supply - Corsair HX850
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Formula LGA 1150
Processor - Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz
Memory - DDR3 32GB G.Skill 2400
CPU fan - Cooler Master liquid cooling system 120mm radiator and fan
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 960
Couple of hard drives, optical drive
Windows 10 64 bit
Old 04-21-17, 03:47 PM   #2
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sluggish...suggestions on troubleshooting a desktop

did you run a defragmenter?
Old 04-21-17, 03:55 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, ran that as well.
Old 04-21-17, 04:59 PM   #4
DVD Talk Godfather

If you have an SSD, you wouldn't want to (or need to) defrag anyway.

Did you already check task manager to see if there's any applications or processes using a lot of CPU or RAM?

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-21-17, 05:21 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did. Nothing taxing, but the performance of my 32 GB of memory says it's constantly using about 3.9 GB's, even though nothing is running. Is that normal usage when nothing is running? Except one browser that's open.
Old 04-21-17, 08:56 PM   #6

You can go into task manager and look at processes running (make sure to show processes from all users) and then sort by memory usage, so you can see what's using the majority of it. That does seem high when nothing is running...

Also recommend running Malwarebytes, it can be good at finding culprits that other programs miss...
Old 04-22-17, 05:29 AM   #7
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Windows, by it's very nature, loses it's lustre over time. Applications get installed, uninstalled, things tried, discarded, scanned, cleaned up, and then a game gets installed, "free" shit gets downloaded, uninstalled, but the crap they deposited on your computer has already done its damage. You can scan, cleanup, defrag, wash, dry, repeat, but time and circumstance has already taken its toll, your computer will never be as fast as it was when you first built it. It's moments like these where a format and reinstall can return that new computer feel back to your desktop. Seriously, you can have the equivalent of a brand new computer all over again (with the exception of the age of the hardware) by wiping a 3 year old OS install and starting fresh. Then don't allow kiddie games on your computer anymore, the assholes that write garbage malware target unsuspecting people (women and children in particular, but everyone nevertheless).

I format/reinstall every couple of years on my own computer because I am very much aware of its potential and when it's compromised, I can feel it.

If all you plan to do is scan and clean it up as best you can, Malwarebyte's Anti-malware (already been mentioned) for starters, and a possible 2nd opinion regarding viruses & malware might be Trend Micro's Housecall (enable a complete scan).

Once you've lost that shiny new computer feel and no amount of scanning, cleaning, defragmenting helps, it's pretty much gone unless you start over. I know it's a lot of work but I think you'll be surprised at the difference in the way that it feels.

My DVD/BD Collection

Last edited by kd5; 04-22-17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 09:13 AM   #8
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, a clean install isn't a bad idea. Windows 10 makes it quite easy, as far as I recall. Just make sure you've already backed up everything you need to keep. Since you're using this for business, you must already be backing stuff up... right? RIGHT? E Unit? Are you backing stuff up already??

Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset this PC. It'll give you the option to save files, but I'd say no and do a full clean install from scratch. You can also do "Advanced Startup" to restore from an image if the first option doesn't work well. Good luck!
Old 04-22-17, 09:40 AM   #9
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

maybe do a system restore from a point before you noticed the slowdown??
Old 04-22-17, 10:27 AM   #10
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Windows, by it's very nature, loses it's lustre over time. Applications get installed, uninstalled, things tried, discarded, scanned, cleaned up, and then a game gets installed, "free" shit gets downloaded, uninstalled, but the crap they deposited on your computer has already done its damage. You can scan, cleanup, defrag, wash, dry, repeat, but time and circumstance has already taken its toll, your computer will never be as fast as it was when you first built it. It's moments like these where a format and reinstall can return that new computer feel back to your desktop. Seriously, you can have the equilalent of a brand new computer all over again (with the exception of the age of the hardware) by wiping a 3 year old OS install and starting fresh. Then don't allow kiddie games on your computer anymore, the assholes that write garbage malware target unsuspecting people (women and children in particular, but everyone nevertheless).

I format/reinstall every couple of years on my own computer because I am very much aware of its potential and when it's compromised, I can feel it.

If all you plan to do is scan and clean it up as best you can, Malwarebyte's Anti-malware (already been mentioned) for starters, and a possible 2nd opinion regarding viruses & malware might be Trend Micro's Housecall (enable a complete scan).

Once you've lost that shiny new computer feel and no amount of scanning, cleaning, defragmenting helps, it's pretty much gone unless you start over. I know it's a lot of work but I think you'll be surprised at the difference in the way that it feels.
It was running fast right up until my daughter did the free game installs. So at least I know where/when the issue started. Up until then, it was running as fast as day 1. And I didn't install anything else except the stuff when I first built it. But your idea will certainly be next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yeah, a clean install isn't a bad idea. Windows 10 makes it quite easy, as far as I recall. Just make sure you've already backed up everything you need to keep. Since you're using this for business, you must already be backing stuff up... right? RIGHT? E Unit? Are you backing stuff up already??

Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset this PC. It'll give you the option to save files, but I'd say no and do a full clean install from scratch. You can also do "Advanced Startup" to restore from an image if the first option doesn't work well. Good luck!
YES....of course I Back my stuff up *smacks Canadian on head * But a clean install may be warranted at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
maybe do a system restore from a point before you noticed the slowdown??
I'll try this before I do a clean install. Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I'll be working on all of these ideas today.
Old 04-24-17, 07:58 PM   #11
DVD Talk Godfather

System Restore is a good idea. And yeah, Windows 10 makes restoring everything clean a breeze, although I have to say the need to do clean installs of Windows isn't nearly as necessary as it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I did. Nothing taxing, but the performance of my 32 GB of memory says it's constantly using about 3.9 GB's, even though nothing is running. Is that normal usage when nothing is running? Except one browser that's open.
Seems pretty normal on idle to me. Is disk utilization low too? Or anything weird in the Startup tab in Task Manager that you don't recognize?

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-24-17, 09:21 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Are you running it off an SSD?

Because honestly, that's still the single best thing you can do to improve and maintain windows performance.
Old 05-06-17, 02:47 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, have a separate SSD solely for the OS.

Well after a CPU fan change out as well as memory, I have it back up to it's original speed. Every time I turned it on, it did run a bit loud, so I decided to try changing out the CPU fan. I just decided to change out the memory to see if that would make any difference. Between these two changes, it looks like that fixed it. Thanks everyone for their advice.