DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-17, 03:12 AM   #26
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2017 - Time for a new router - what do you recommend?

I've been using a Netgear AC1750 and it's been fantastic, but i'm just in a small apartment. I'd probably move on to mesh if I owned a house.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-08-17, 09:46 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Glad it worked out for you. A few questions:

- Where did you place the mesh units, how far from the hub and on what what floors? You mentioned you have a multi-story home. How strong is the connection between hub and mesh units as shown on your phone app?

- How about naming of the new network? Can you give it the same name and password as your old network? I would hate to have to reconfigure wifi networks for all of my home devices.
Hi there,

(Details) I have about a 3000 Sq. Ft two story house. Pretty much only have Comcast as a choice for Internet in our area so when they hooked it up, they needed to put the router in the 2nd story bedroom over the garage that I was using as my den until my daughter was old enough to get her own room.
Amplifi recommends putting the mesh units at pretty much the farthest corners of the house from the router and those (2nd floor master bedroom and kitchen/dining area where we have the downstairs computer) matched as our two dead zones. Basically have the router in the front left corner of the house on the second floor, one mesh unit in the kitchen downstairs in the back left corner and the other mesh unit on the second floor in the back right corner if that makes sense.
Phone app shows full bars between the router and the mesh units and the mesh units also show full blue bars (dots on the front) for full signal. Actually just logged into the app and they pushed a firmware update that took a few minutes.
App is pretty cool in that you can do an ISP test, constantly monitors throughput, you can add guests to your network instead of giving them your password and it shows/tracks every device that is logged into your network.

For naming and passwords, in the initial set up there are steps you have to go through to name the network and also to input what you want the password to be so it's all up to you on that one. I did name the network differently and put in new passwords and did have to reconnect everything.

Couple of days in and still going strong! I no longer can curse Comcast for slow internet speed and drops
Old 01-09-17, 04:06 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I've been using a Netgear AC1750 and it's been fantastic, but i'm just in a small apartment. I'd probably move on to mesh if I owned a house.

I would agree, my AC1750 works great

Works fine in my 2 level house, but placement is everything.

For those not wanting to spend a ton of money, it is a good choice. I see them for $90 here and there and $109 is regular price (and they were $69 on black Friday 2016)
Old 01-09-17, 09:29 PM   #29
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
For naming and passwords, in the initial set up there are steps you have to go through to name the network and also to input what you want the password to be so it's all up to you on that one. I did name the network differently and put in new passwords and did have to reconnect everything.

Couple of days in and still going strong! I no longer can curse Comcast for slow internet speed and drops
Thanks for the information. Makes me want to go get one. I get interruptions sometimes when playing YouTube. It's not bad enough that I have to do something right away, but if the Amplifi improves things that much...

As far as keeping the same SSID and password, that's a big desirable to me. Recently I had to change my wifi network password, and it was a pain going around the house updating everything.
Old 01-10-17, 06:17 PM   #30
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congrats on getting it working in an inexpensive fashion, sparing the cost of a new router.

The Netgear AC1750 seems like the way to go for a modern router that isn't $300. Thanks for the info, 4KRG. I can get around $69 pretty easily should the need arise.