DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-21-16, 01:48 AM   #1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone familiar with these LED's?

I'm thinking about purchasing these LED lights but am not too familiar with them (operation, quality, etc). If anyone owns them or something similar what are your opinions? Also, in one section of the listing it says "Power Source: Dry Battery" but in another section it says "Input Voltage: 85V~265V AC" which confuses me.
Any input is appreciated!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7W-2-4G-Mi-L.../321774855176?
Old 12-21-16, 08:10 AM   #2
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Anyone familiar with these LED's?

The remote control runs on battery, and the lights are plugged in (they use 7W, and that's too much for standard batteries). Note that you have to buy the track separately.
Old 12-21-16, 03:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
The remote control runs on battery, and the lights are plugged in (they use 7W, and that's too much for standard batteries). Note that you have to buy the track separately.
Yes i know thw track is sold separately & the seller explained how it is powered. Usually the sellers from China aren't all that great with English which is why I asked here first. Thanks for your help, do you know the quality of these lights? Are they worth the $100+ price. They'd be used for lighting a small room.
Old 12-21-16, 11:14 PM   #4
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they are certainly cheap. For $43 you get 9 LED bulbs: 4 color, 5 white light, about 450 lumens each (equivalent to a 40w incandescent bulb).

I have bought from this type of company before. They ship either directly from China (usually Shenzhen where a lot of electronics are manufactured) or through Hong Kong. Shipping time is usually 1-2 weeks. They even give you a tracking number, starting with China Post, then continuing with USPS.

In terms of returns, I think it's sketchy at best, but in this case, since you are buying through eBay, you might have some recourse if something goes wrong. There are some Chinese stores with English-friendly storefronts, such as gearbest.com, but they don't carry your particular type of track light.

Personally I don't like track lights because they require installation and are somewhat permanent. I would prefer Philips Hue or LIFX bulbs on gooseneck or task lamps, but that's more money.

BTW, watch this video if you are curious about where a lot of electronics are made:

Last edited by Psi; 12-22-16 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-22-16, 12:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Well, they are cartainly cheap. For $43 you get 9 LED bulbs: 4 color, 5 white light, about 450 lumens each (equivalent to a 40w incandescent bulb).
I think you misread. The bulbs are $43 EACH. I'm thinking about purchasing 3 which would be $106.85
Old 12-22-16, 12:54 AM   #6
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You got me. Then I wouldn't get them.

I would get a floor spot light (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DI4D3, $15) and a LIFX light bulb (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0161IJ5F0?th=1, $45). With LIFX, you don't need a hub like the Philips Hue system. Each bulb is self-contained and you buy as many as you want. Make sure you choose the right socket. A19 is the standard incandescent screw-on type.

The above is the second generation LIFX bulb. There is a 3rd generation, brighter bulb that sells normally for $60.

Last edited by Psi; 12-22-16 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Correct 2nd generation bulb
Old 12-22-16, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:
You got me. Then I wouldn't get them.

I would get a floor spot light (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DI4D3, $15) and a LIFX light bulb (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0161IJ5F0?th=1, $45). With LIFX, you don't need a hub like the Philips Hue system. Each bulb is self-contained and you buy as many as you want. Make sure you choose the right socket. A19 is the standard incandescent screw-on type.

The above is the first generation LIFX bulb. There is a 2nd generation, brighter bulb that sells normally for $60.
That's nice, I might take your advice and go for that instead. I currently have a wall mounted 3 bulb thing that is dimmable but it gives off the 'yellowish' light which I hate. Whatever I get it has to be cool white. Would one of the uplights be enough for a 15'x10' room you think?

Also, if you scroll to around the middle of the page of the bulbs, there are 4 of them you can choose from. Are all of those compatible with the light?

Last edited by JZ1276; 12-22-16 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-22-16, 08:33 AM   #8
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are various types of LIFX:

- LIFX Multicolor "Color 1000". This is the older (2nd) generation that I mentioned above and can be adjusted over the full color spectrum, 1000 lumens, $45.

- LIFX Multicolor. That's the newer (3rd) generation, and it gives brighter and truer colors, 1100 lumens, $60.

- LIFX White, 800 or 900 lumens ($23 on their web site http://www.lifx.com/products/white-8...nt=30298000579). This gives dimmable white light, but no colors. Note that with LED lights, you cannot dim them from a wall dimmer, and that's why you need to get a "smart LED" that you dim with your phone app.

- LIFX+. It adds infrared light so your security camera can see better in the dark.

- Cool white? You can adjust from cool white to warm white. That's one reason these bulbs cost more than the $2 bulbs at Home Depot that can be made to cool white or warm white only.

Within each type, you have to select either A19 (standard bulb) or BR30 (flood light bulb). BTW, when you get your lamp, check the diameter of the "can" that the bulb goes in, because LED lights are usually wider than normal and might not fit.

Is it bright enough? 800 lumens is equivalent to a 60w incandescent bulb, and 1100 lumens to a 75w bulb. I would say it's bright enough for accent lights, but not for reading if that's the only light in the room.
Old 05-10-17, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
There are various types of LIFX:

- LIFX Multicolor "Color 1000". This is the older (2nd) generation that I mentioned above and can be adjusted over the full color spectrum, 1000 lumens, $45.

- LIFX Multicolor. That's the newer (3rd) generation, and it gives brighter and truer colors, 1100 lumens, $60.

- LIFX White, 800 or 900 lumens ($23 on their web site http://www.lifx.com/products/white-8...nt=30298000579). This gives dimmable white light, but no colors. Note that with LED lights, you cannot dim them from a wall dimmer, and that's why you need to get a "smart LED" that you dim with your phone app.

- LIFX+. It adds infrared light so your security camera can see better in the dark.

- Cool white? You can adjust from cool white to warm white. That's one reason these bulbs cost more than the $2 bulbs at Home Depot that can be made to cool white or warm white only.

Within each type, you have to select either A19 (standard bulb) or BR30 (flood light bulb). BTW, when you get your lamp, check the diameter of the "can" that the bulb goes in, because LED lights are usually wider than normal and might not fit.

Is it bright enough? 800 lumens is equivalent to a 60w incandescent bulb, and 1100 lumens to a 75w bulb. I would say it's bright enough for accent lights, but not for reading if that's the only light in the room.
So I finally got around to buying this & took your advice on both. The lamp is not the exact one you suggested but very similar. I forgot you mentioned selecting A19 or BR30, I hope they are compatible as well as the bulb fits.

Old 05-11-17, 12:17 AM   #10
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The bulb you got is an A19, and it will likely fit your light fixture. I am not 100% sure, because A19 refers to the socket which should be compatible, but you could have a fit problem if the body of the bulb is too wide for the fixture can. It looks like you'll be OK though, because LIFX bulbs are not unusually wide.
Old 05-13-17, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
The bulb you got is an A19, and it will likely fit your light fixture. I am not 100% sure, because A19 refers to the socket which should be compatible, but you could have a fit problem if the body of the bulb is too wide for the fixture can. It looks like you'll be OK though, because LIFX bulbs are not unusually wide.
Just received both the bulb & fixture. Everythings set up & works good. Thanks again for the advice.