DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-20-16, 08:39 AM   #1

Most useful DVD burning format

I have been trying all formats of burning DVDs and can't get any to start. I use to be lucky with .vob but now that don't play. I have been using "Any Video Converter" I'm on a Mac and want to know if there's a format that is also good for PC users. I've tried them all MPEG-4 VOB AVI even quicktime. Also is it possible to make a CD DVD because I have a slideshow made in FotoMagico 5. I use an external burner LG.
Old 12-20-16, 05:34 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Most useful DVD burning format

I don't quite understand the question, but I'll try to answer.

Firstly, yes, you can burn photos, documents, or music to DVD+-R. Ashampoo Burning Studio is good for that.
For converting and burning avis, mkvs, mp4s (or any video format) to DVD, I have used ConvertXtoDVD (latest version is 6) for years. It converts the video file to IFO and burns to disc as well. It has plenty of options for merging video files, deinterlacing, adding soft subtitles (srt or idx), etc., etc. IMGBurn is an excellent alternative IFO-to-ISO-to-DVD-R burner, but not needed if you have ConvertX.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 12-21-16, 10:03 AM   #3

I've tried all types of converters but DVD won't play. It's a slide show I created in FotoMagico 5 115 slides and audio is just mp3.
Old 12-21-16, 04:46 PM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For creating a DVD:

https://manual.fotomagi.co/en:creating_a_dvd

For a file that's good for sharing with both Mac and PC users, look at the options here:

https://manual.fotomagi.co/en:creating_a_dvd

YouTube would be a good choice if you don't mind directing people to view it on YouTube, rather than distributing a video file. If you want an actual video file, then you'll want one of the other options. Custom QuickTime movie if you're fine specifying the settings yourself. If you just want a preset that makes an easy to share, high resolution video file, then probably the Vimeo preset or the iPad preset or Apple TV preset would give you what you're looking for.