DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-03-16, 05:04 PM   #1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Suggestions on Video/freeze issues?

I'm using Win 10 and Nvidia 970 card. I think it started after a particular driver update, but I can't remember which one.

Here's what happens:

Most of the time my entire screen gets really pixellated and I usually have to reset as it locks everything up. I can't see much of anything anyway because of the giant pixels on the screen.

It doesn't happen in a game, always something seemingly small. I can play something like WoW for extended periods of time and it's fine. At first, it would happen at random times, but usually when first opening Chrome or clicking on a YouTube video would trigger it. Now it usually seems to happen as soon as I log in to Windows or very shortly after. It also happens almost all the time now, where before it was only occasionally.

Sometimes if I let it sit there, my PC will shut down. Other times it just hangs until I reset.

There is the rare time where my PC will give me the BSOD error screen before restarting.
There have been two errors: Video_TDR_Failure and a Video_Scheduler_Internal error. Usually I'll see the latter over the former.

I tried rolling back to multiple older drivers and the problem persists. Safe Mode is fine. Normal mode is fine too with no driver installed, which is what I'm using now.
Just wondering if maybe my video card is fried rather than a conflict of some sort.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-05-16, 07:31 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Suggestions on Video/freeze issues?

Well it sounds like a driver however, you cannot simply rollback or reinstall. You need to use a tool to completely remove the old driver.

There are several free tools online to do this.
Old 12-15-16, 12:06 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally gave up on the old video card and bought a new one. After the same problem happened with a clean install of Win 7 I stopped trying to figure out what was wrong. I suspect it was some driver update that messed things up. I had read there was a past one that had messed up some cards.

Anyways, went back to Win 10, swapped out the old for the new and I haven't had any problems.
Old 12-16-16, 01:04 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

I have a GTX 970 card myself, running W7 Ultimate. I'm glad you fixed the problem. I had a similar issue with ESO, but apparently it was a Java update that cleared things up for me. Have no idea if the update cleared out a driver, rewrote over it, but problem was solved.

These software packages with video cards (150MB+) are just insanely large.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-16-16, 01:52 PM   #5

Lockups/reboots could have multiple causes, including drivers. Shutdowns are typically hardware, power supply and motherboard are most common. Other hardware could be at fault, but those typically only cause lockups as well.