DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-28-16, 07:23 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Need help, ready for "new" everything - net, tv, cell phone

I'm spending too much and not happy with daughter "always" going after her data limits on cell phone.

Currently I have,

Cell - AT&T. I'm grandfathered into unlimited data, daughter is not
Internet - Comcast - it's ok, but feel expensive for what I get and it slows down as people get home from work
TV - Dish Network. Actually pleased with this. A bit expensive, but I could take off HBO and such if I really wanted. Willing to change if a bundle saves me money.

I've had AT&T cell forever. I travel a lot all over the country. Committed to iPhones. I have a iPhone 7 thru Apple Daughter has my old iPhone 6. Neither of us r on contract.
I like to stream movies, music video, etc. No gaming
TV, as long as I can get ESPN, locals and the standard stuff I'm good.

I see AT&T now offers unlimited cell if you bundle with Direct TV or Uverse. Uverse is in my area w/good net speeds. Doesn't seem to bad. Initial looking would save me $100 per month which is good.

Any other recommendations?
Old 11-29-16, 09:48 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Need help, ready for "new" everything - net, tv, cell phone

Why do you currently have Comcast for internet but not TV?

How many cell phone lines do you have?

have you looked at any of the "TV streaming" services like SlingTV (from dish) or PS Vue?

AT&T has a Smart Limits feature that lets you control your daughter's line, although it looks like you'd have to manually disable her data before she goes over the limit.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/smartlimits.html

If the Uverse bundle saves you money and there's no commitment/contract, I don't see how it could hurt to try it.
Old 11-29-16, 10:31 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Att is launching direct tv now which lets you stream 100 channels for$35. Hbo can be added for$5. Att will also zero rate data on direct tv now if on att ( no mvno). You also get an apple tv free

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/28...g-service.html
Old 11-29-16, 11:18 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Att is launching direct tv now which lets you stream 100 channels for$35. Hbo can be added for$5. Att will also zero rate data on direct tv now if on att ( no mvno). You also get an apple tv free.
From what I can tell, it doesn't offer unlimited data on AT&T Wireless, just zero-rated DTV viewing.
Old 11-29-16, 11:22 AM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cricket wireless has worked out great for our family. Switched over from AT&T (it was tough giving up the unlimited data plan!). Now we have 3 phones on a plan that cost less than a single phone did on AT&T. I have not noticed the "data speed ceiling" that Cricket has
Old 11-29-16, 01:36 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
From what I can tell, it doesn't offer unlimited data on AT&T Wireless, just zero-rated DTV viewing.
If his daughter is going over due to watching movies or shows available on dtv now then it can help to reduce data usage. But if she is using something else then it won't help.
Old 11-29-16, 01:58 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Will only need 2 smart phones covered.

Determined daughter was mainly going over due to using Google Maps (she is in Grad school away from home). Thus my hesitancy in shutting her down w/the ATT app. She also streams music.

I bought her a $100 stand alone GPS which paid for itself in one month. But still some issues. But much better...if not perfect.

I have not yet researched any of the "alternative" TV options.

I've had Dish Network for 10+'years. I've gone thru several internet providers in that time. I picked up Comcast a couple years ago as they were faster than what I had and cheaper. But their price has crept up from $40 to $85. I'm guessing I had an introductory rate.

The only high speed net I seem to be able to get despite being in Dallas is Comcast and ATT. I was trying to wait for Google, but looks like they have shut down.

I'll go talk to them at ATT...tho alternative TV my be the way to go if I can get ESPN and locals. I travel a lot for work.
Old 11-29-16, 02:05 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
The only high speed net I seem to be able to get despite being in Dallas is Comcast and ATT. I was trying to wait for Google, but looks like they have shut down.
Dallas is only listed as a "potential" Google Fiber city.
https://fiber.google.com/newcities/
https://fiber.google.com/cities/dallas/

Alphabet did put Google Fiber expansion "on hold," but may pick it up later, or switch to a wireless home internet solution.
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-fib...-october-2016/
Old 11-29-16, 04:15 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Google maps has offline maps option. Download the area over wifi. You can completely disable cellular for Google maps on the iPhone. There are other options like here maps which has offline option capabilities too.

But you don't get traffic when used offline.

Direct tv now should be a good option as you can use it anywhere.
Old 11-29-16, 05:20 PM   #10
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Alphabet did put Google Fiber expansion "on hold," but may pick it up later, or switch to a wireless home internet solution.
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-fib...-october-2016/
Can't wait for this wireless solution. Google Fiber, even without a pause, is painfully slow to implement.
Old 11-30-16, 12:51 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Cricket Wireless is $90/mo after taxes for my wife and I to have 8 Gigs of data each. You just pop the cricket sim in your AT&T phone and you are ready to go. Cricket is owned by AT&T. I have had nothing but great experiences with Cricket.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 12-01-16, 04:23 PM   #12
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just bought a Coolpad Catalyst phone for $19. Metro PCS $30/month.
Old 12-02-16, 08:07 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like I can move to a new "no overage" plan w/ATT. For $150 for two phones we can share 30gig but if we go over, there is no penalty cost, they just throttle the speed. It's about what I'm paying now with no data overage ($200 for 3 phones, but will need just 2.moving forward). And tho I'm grandfathered in to unlimited (daughter is not) I rarely use even 2-3gig. Tho I'll go back and check.

I'm considering Uverse for both net and TV. Only thing I haven't figured out is if they have a "sling" type app so I can watch Cowboys and Rangers when out of town. I suppose if they don't I can get a true sling box. Dishnetwork has that feature and I love it, but I think it's just a branded sling box. Looks like a decent Uverse package would save me $120ish per month "locked in" for 2 years.

Also gets antennas off my roof. And since I'll be getting a new roof from the spring storms, probably a good time.
Old 12-02-16, 08:18 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Google maps has offline maps option. Download the area over wifi. You can completely disable cellular for Google maps on the iPhone. There are other options like here maps which has offline option capabilities too.

But you don't get traffic when used offline.

Direct tv now should be a good option as you can use it anywhere.
Thanks for that! And you know what, I think one of the first apps I bought for my iPhone 3G back in the day was the TomTom app. It was $99 at the time. It turned ur phone into a TomTom GPS. I deleted it long ago because of the size. It was so big as it didn't use data (except to update).

I'll have to dig that app out of the iCloud...totally forgot about that....and check out Google off line....did not know about that.
Old 12-10-16, 02:31 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Spoke to them at ATT today. I'm going Uverse for net + TV. This will give me unlimited data on my wireless. This plus my affiliate discount will end up being less than half of what I'm paying today for the three. The Uverse has a 1 year contract, but 2 year price lock.
Old 12-10-16, 03:43 PM   #16

I wish I could get Comcast Internet only. They won't even offer their "Business" internet to a residence address locally.
Old 12-10-16, 05:03 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I wish I could get Comcast Internet only. They won't even offer their "Business" internet to a residence address locally.
Did you contact their specific Business Internet division? Tell them it's for a home office.
https://business.comcast.com/