DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-24-16, 08:43 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Google Home

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread about this, and that it's only getting pedestrian comments in the Echo thread.

So, has anyone purchased this, and if so, what do you think about it? Does it meet or beat Echo?

I went ahead and bought one, and I've enjoyed using it so far. The drawbacks for me:

1. It's not compatible with the WeMo lighting system. Echo is. So I have to continue controlling my lighting manually with the app on my phone.
2. I thought that I might be able to use it as a remote control for my smart TV, but can't. However, it will automatically play music and videos straight to the TV via Chromecast.
3. Responses seem to be kind of limited. The kind of things I would be able to type into Google's search bar and get results don't seem to get the same type of results by voice.

Maybe those last two "drawbacks" are the same with Echo; I'm not sure. Maybe I just went into it expecting too much.

I guess mostly I've just been having fun experimenting with responses to different queries and statements, and I use it as an alarm clock.
I'd like to see Johnny Depp direct a movie about Tim Burton directing a movie starring Johnny Depp, in which Johnny is directing a film about Danny Elfman, who is composing the music for a new Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.....playing Danny Elfman.
Old 11-24-16, 08:48 PM   #2
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Google Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
I'm surprised nobody has started a thread about this, and that it's only getting pedestrian comments in the Echo thread.

So, has anyone purchased this, and if so, what do you think about it? Does it meet or beat Echo?

I went ahead and bought one, and I've enjoyed using it so far. The drawbacks for me:

1. It's not compatible with the WeMo lighting system. Echo is. So I have to continue controlling my lighting manually with the app on my phone.
2. I thought that I might be able to use it as a remote control for my smart TV, but can't. However, it will automatically play music and videos straight to the TV via Chromecast.
3. Responses seem to be kind of limited. The kind of things I would be able to type into Google's search bar and get results don't seem to get the same type of results by voice.

Maybe those last two "drawbacks" are the same with Echo; I'm not sure. Maybe I just went into it expecting too much.

I guess mostly I've just been having fun experimenting with responses to different queries and statements, and I use it as an alarm clock.
I have one on the way from Best Buy. Last week I was up in NY and went to the Google Popup Store in SoHo. I rather liked it. The ability to control the Nest (only smart home device I have) was pretty natural and much easier than using the Echo Dot. I also thought it sounded really good when playing music. I think this has much more potential than the Echo as long as Google keeps supporting it.
Old 11-24-16, 08:55 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

That's what I'm hoping. I don't see why they can't update it at some point to control the WeMo lighting.
I'd like to see Johnny Depp direct a movie about Tim Burton directing a movie starring Johnny Depp, in which Johnny is directing a film about Danny Elfman, who is composing the music for a new Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.....playing Danny Elfman.
Old 11-24-16, 10:27 PM   #4
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had the Amazon Echo since it first came out, and yesterday I added the Google Home. I agree that the Google Home still has catching up to do (cannot link to WeMo as you mentioned, and a few more), but I think that's only a matter of time.

If you stay within the Google ecosystem (Nest, and Chromecast audio and video), I think the Google Home is better integrated. I also think that the Google Home is smarter in handling information queries, and is also more forgiving in how you phrase your questions. With the Echo, sometimes it feels like I have to learn how to talk to Alexa instead of the other way around.

The Echo is better for ordering things... from Amazon obviously, so I think I will keep the Echo in the kitchen and the Google Home in the bedroom.
Old 11-25-16, 04:31 PM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I nabbed one through the BestBuy deal since I had some reward credits. I've been waiting for this since the Echo came out since I'm pretty tightly tied into the Google ecosystem. The funny thing is that during the long wait I've started using more and more Amazon stuff but I still prefer Google Play Music and since the Echo will never add that I'm hoping the Home doesn't disappoint.
Old 11-25-16, 08:26 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

I bought one of these last week and an Echo Dot during the $39 sales, haven't played with the Echo Dot yet but I do love the Google Home so far.

I only have Philips Hue lights in terms of Smart Home items and it does pretty great with those ("Hey Google, turn the lights (color)" was fun). But mostly I wanted something I could bark out to play Spotify tunes and some Audiobooks.

Since Audiobooks are through Audible, it's totally controlled via casting on my phone, which I'm fine with. The Spotify integration works great, sound quality is quite good, and it seems to pick up my voice from far away pretty well. I like that it answers a good number of questions and really appreciate that it can decipher "Hey Google, shut the fuck up" in a pinch
Old 12-13-16, 11:59 PM   #7
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WeMo devices are now compatible with Google Home.

http://www.androidauthority.com/wemo...ibility-735866
Old 12-14-16, 08:33 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Google has been so ADD with their products that I hesitate to invest in anything for their ecosystem. In a year they could roll out a replacement and leave the people who bought their current lineup without updates.
Old 12-14-16, 08:57 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Google has been so ADD with their products that I hesitate to invest in anything for their ecosystem. In a year they could roll out a replacement and leave the people who bought their current lineup without updates.
I normally am too, but this one just works so well.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-16-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-14-16, 12:09 PM   #10
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I was in the same boat but jumped on one at the $99 special price and have been using the heck out of it. I don't trust any tech company to support their devices these days so as long as it doesn't cost too much I'm in.
Old 12-15-16, 08:25 PM   #11
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was fast.

Google adds more than 30 new services to Google Home.

Including CNBC, Domino's, Food Network, Lonely Planet, NBC News, NPR One, The Wall Street Journal and WebMD.
Old 12-16-16, 04:07 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

I gave up on WeMo, not only because it still hasn't been added to Google Home's compatible services, but I was having too many problems with controlling it via the phone app. I went ahead and bought the Phillips Hue package which contains a hub and three white/color bulbs. It's nice to be able to control the lights by voice now via the Home device, and messing with the color schemes is fun.
Old 12-16-16, 08:17 AM   #13
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When did you try to control WeMo with Google Home? It was added only 2 days ago. I am traveling so I haven't been able to check it out yet. I haven't had any problems controlling via the phone (Android).
Old 12-16-16, 08:25 AM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Very cool that it added a few new features and compatible products. There's only a couple major players in this field, it'd be dumb for companies to go exclusive in either direction.

Is there a better way of communicating with these services? I'm not a fan of the "*name*, Talk to *service*" syntax (Alexa's is similar).

I currently have this running with my Chromecast (for Spotify, Netflix and Youtube) and Hue lights and have only really run into issue when trying to name specific YouTube videos, I wish there was a way to tell it to throw up your "Watch Later" playlist or show your Favorited videos.
Old 12-16-16, 09:18 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
When did you try to control WeMo with Google Home? It was added only 2 days ago. I am traveling so I haven't been able to check it out yet. I haven't had any problems controlling via the phone (Android).
I've never tried to control the WeMo lights with the Google Home, because I've never been able to control the WeMo lights with the Google Home. From the moment I got the Google Home device home, WeMo wasn't, and still isn't, listed as a compatible service.

My problems with controlling the WeMo lights with the app revolve around the firmware upgrade. It keeps telling me I need one, then when I try to download and install, it keeps freezing up my devices, leaving me unable to control them at all, then it says the upgrade failed, and I have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and I've reset both the hub and the bulbs more times than I care to count. And looking online, a lot of people have had the same types of problems. Too much of a hassle.
Old 12-16-16, 09:59 AM   #16
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have both WeMo light switches and wall plugs, and the problem is that sometimes they get "grayed out" so I cannot control them, but they come back after a few minutes. I have them set on a schedule so I usually don't have to send commands to them.
Old 02-05-17, 03:42 PM   #17
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The optional bases for the Google Home are half off until 2/18: https://store.google.com/product/google_home_base

The fabric ones are $10, and metal ones are $20 during the sale. Standard shipping is free.
Old 02-06-17, 01:10 PM   #18
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
The optional bases for the Google Home are half off until 2/18: https://store.google.com/product/google_home_base

The fabric ones are $10, and metal ones are $20 during the sale. Standard shipping is free.
Yeah I'm a sucker and bit on a copper base. I've been trying to figure out a way to paint the fabric base a copper color but at $20 this is much easier.
Old 02-06-17, 08:51 PM   #19
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm also thinking about getting a copper metal base. I would prefer a blue or purple one but they only come with fabric.
Old 04-20-17, 11:46 AM   #20
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.androidauthority.com/goog...upport-765739/

Quote:
Starting today, Google is adding the ability for up to six people to connect their accounts with Google Home. The connected speaker will tap into a neural network to help distinguish between different users’ voices.

To set up multiple accounts on your Google Home speaker, you’ll first need to grab the latest version of the Home app (found below). Open the app, then select the card that reads “multi-user is available”. Don’t see that new card? Just click on the icon in the top right to see all your connected devices. Find your Home, then select Link your account. From there, you can train your Assistant to understand your voice. Google says for features like personalized music and commute, you’ll need to set up those preferences within the app.

Each person who adds their Google account will be asked to say phrases like “Ok Google” and “Hey Google” two times each. After the setup process is complete, Google Home’s neural network will compare the sound of your voice to its previous analysis to tell who’s speaking. Apparently this takes place on your device in only a matter of milliseconds.

Multi-account support is rolling out today for Google Home users in the U.S., and will expand to the U.K. in the coming months.
Old 04-20-17, 12:12 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Creepy. I love it!
Old 04-21-17, 05:26 PM   #22
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.... And Big Brother (= Google) will be coming for you in 3 ...2... 1...
Old 05-10-17, 01:02 AM   #23
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have yet to open the box, but I just received my free!! Google Home for taking advantage of the LG G6 phone promotion. I am pleasantly surprised how easy it was for me to jump through the hoops (which involved taking pictures to attach when I filled out the online form), and it shipped pretty fast. I look forward to playing around without it soon.
Old 05-10-17, 08:01 AM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

I still love mine, especially for selecting music when people are over.
Old 05-10-17, 04:36 PM   #25
DVD Talk God

I would so jump on Google home if you could use Amazon Prime music on it.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW