DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-21-15, 11:06 AM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone build a Raspberry Pi?

I was in the need of a new project, so I decided to build a raspberry pi.

Mainly for 2 reasons:
1) emulation .. this seems to work great so far. The setup is a bit complicated, but workable.

2) wanted to surf the web on my TV. This is proving difficult. The version of linux I've got (raspbien) is kind of slow. The main reason I wanted web on my TV was to have an easy way to watch videos that otherwise weren't available on youtube or hulu. The big issue is that there is no official Flash binary for linux. I found a ported version, that kinda works, but the video playback is so janky and stuttery, it is unwatchable. So that seems like kind of a bust.

Not sure what else I should try to do with it. I don't need a media server, my TV has plex on it, and that is much easier than booting up into the Pi.

Has anyone else built one? What have you done with it?
Old 10-21-15, 11:15 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Anyone build a Raspberry Pi?

I've used my rPi 2 for various projects, and done a few Internet Of Things projects (Windows) but nothing major.

Right now, I mostly use my MicroSD card with RetroPie on it (which is an emulation front end, and has Kodi installed as well). The native support for the wireless Xbox 360 dongle is nice.
Old 10-21-15, 11:16 AM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Raspberry Pi hooked up to my projector running RetroPie for NES and SNES emulation mainly. I use a Wii Classic Controller with wireless usb adapter. It's awesome.
Old 10-21-15, 11:26 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really disappointed to learn that the free windows 10 OS for the raspberry pi is not really a windows client that you can use ... it's just a windows controller for internet controlled devices
Old 10-21-15, 11:47 AM   #5
DVD Talk Godfather

I've set up a few at my old job as a cheap way to display some basic interactive items on various monitors, but the performance was a lot rougher then I hoped for.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-21-15, 04:20 PM   #6
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I built one to run Kodi (XBMC). I also have Plex on my TV, but rarely use it as Kodi is 100x better.
Old 10-21-15, 07:42 PM   #7
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd like to get one, but the ARM processor is a huge drawback. Wish it had an Atom or Intel SoC CPU intstead, as then it would be 100% backwardly compatible with 30+ years of existing software! We wouldn't need to port everything to ARM architecture then...
Old 10-22-15, 12:18 AM   #8
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I heard about these from other forums. But I went with the Google - Nexus Player. Brought one from BB back in late Sept for $41. Just picked up 3 more from Target a couple days ago for $30 each. Installed Kodi on the first one. Will do the same with the other 3 & give them away for Christmas.
Old 10-22-15, 10:19 AM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want a Rasp Pi A board so i can build either a robot or a sound player to hook to my amp for playing samples for live shows
Old 10-22-15, 11:03 AM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was monkeying with it yesterday, and installed "motioneyes" or something like that, and turned it into a pretty neato security camera. Works with my old USB camera I had laying around. Only issue is, I can access it remotely, but that will only work until Time Warner changes my IP address. I'm not sure how to fix that without getting a static ip address for my router, which Time Warner will not do (or so I've heard)
Old 10-22-15, 11:18 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I was monkeying with it yesterday, and installed "motioneyes" or something like that, and turned it into a pretty neato security camera. Works with my old USB camera I had laying around. Only issue is, I can access it remotely, but that will only work until Time Warner changes my IP address. I'm not sure how to fix that without getting a static ip address for my router, which Time Warner will not do (or so I've heard)
Time Warner rarely changes your IP, you have to unplug your cable modem and somebody else has to take the IP (turn on their modem) from the same block of addresses in the mean time.

That said, use something like http://ddns.net/ and give your IP a name. They make an app that will update it anytime your ISP changes your IP, though I'm not sure there's a linux/arm based version yet.
Old 10-23-15, 02:28 PM   #12
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Time Warner rarely changes your IP, you have to unplug your cable modem and somebody else has to take the IP (turn on their modem) from the same block of addresses in the mean time.

That said, use something like http://ddns.net/ and give your IP a name. They make an app that will update it anytime your ISP changes your IP, though I'm not sure there's a linux/arm based version yet.
You can probably run their app on another always-on computer if it won't work on the Raspberry Pi.

Read Poop Office at http://nakedgrapecomics.com
Old 10-23-15, 02:30 PM   #13
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought one recently. I wanted to try a little DIY computer project. I have computer coding experience, but I'm very new to Linux-based OSes. What I want to do is have a webcam that's always pointed at my stove. So next time I forget if I turned the stove off, I can just punch in a website on my phone and see if it's on or not. Kind of silly, but I really just wanted an excuse for a project.

I got all the parts and strangely I got stuck on getting the wifi adapter I bought to work after a reboot! I'm going to be doing a fresh install soon to give it another try.

Old 10-23-15, 02:44 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I bought one recently. I wanted to try a little DIY computer project. I have computer coding experience, but I'm very new to Linux-based OSes. What I want to do is have a webcam that's always pointed at my stove. So next time I forget if I turned the stove off, I can just punch in a website on my phone and see if it's on or not. Kind of silly, but I really just wanted an excuse for a project.

I got all the parts and strangely I got stuck on getting the wifi adapter I bought to work after a reboot! I'm going to be doing a fresh install soon to give it another try.
I think they simplified that for raspbien and just put it in /boot/config.txt (add the commands there).
Old 10-23-15, 11:17 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one I'm using for my webcam is called motioneyes, and it's it's own operating system, it isn't something you install on raspbien. It requires a ethernet to start it up and get it running, but once you connect over http, you can set up the wifi. Seems pretty simple of a config
Old 10-24-15, 05:20 PM   #16
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I think they simplified that for raspbien and just put it in /boot/config.txt (add the commands there).
Quote:
The one I'm using for my webcam is called motioneyes, and it's it's own operating system, it isn't something you install on raspbien. It requires a ethernet to start it up and get it running, but once you connect over http, you can set up the wifi. Seems pretty simple of a config
I'll look into both of these. Thanks!

Old 10-24-15, 06:49 PM   #17
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
So I found a program called MotionPie (maybe this is what you meant or maybe it's based around motioneyes?) and WOW! That was easy to set up. I'm already up and running. I got port forwarding set up and tested it using a VPN and I'm good to guy! No more turning around when I'm halfway to work because I'm scared I left the stove on!

Old 10-25-15, 11:14 AM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
So I found a program called MotionPie (maybe this is what you meant or maybe it's based around motioneyes?) and WOW! That was easy to set up. I'm already up and running. I got port forwarding set up and tested it using a VPN and I'm good to guy! No more turning around when I'm halfway to work because I'm scared I left the stove on!
MotionPie is the old version of that ... they renamed it MotionEyes because it runs on other things than just raspberry pi now.
Old 10-25-15, 02:27 PM   #19
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the old version works well enough. Strangely, I'm a little bummed that it was so easy! My distraction project's all finished and I need to come up with a new one.

Old 10-26-15, 07:13 AM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
I heard about these from other forums. But I went with the Google - Nexus Player. Brought one from BB back in late Sept for $41. Just picked up 3 more from Target a couple days ago for $30 each. Installed Kodi on the first one. Will do the same with the other 3 & give them away for Christmas.
That's a steal. I almost went with the Nexus Player last year, but I really wanted an ethernet jack so I ended up going with the FireTV. It works great, got an older XBMC fork app sideloaded, but I'm not totally comfortable with how much Amazon has the system locked down.

I was looking at a raspberry pi as well, but the fire seemed easier to setup for what I wanted and a lot more hardware bang for the buck, especially on sale.
Old 10-26-15, 07:57 AM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

I've built a mini arcade machine and a photobooth with Raspberry Pis. I made an automated Christmas tree light display that synced to music too. I also built a clock but the display was too bright to use in my room at night so I took it apart. I also built a Spotify radio but it was a little too glictchy. You had to reboot it a fair amount so we just got a cheap Bluetooth speaker instead.

I love those little computers.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 10-26-15, 11:24 AM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
That's a steal. I almost went with the Nexus Player last year, but I really wanted an ethernet jack so I ended up going with the FireTV. It works great, got an older XBMC fork app sideloaded, but I'm not totally comfortable with how much Amazon has the system locked down.

I was looking at a raspberry pi as well, but the fire seemed easier to setup for what I wanted and a lot more hardware bang for the buck, especially on sale.
There is a USB->Ethernet dongle that works with the Nexus.

I use a FireTV with Kodi daily for tv watching. I wish i would have waited and picked up a Nvidia Shield instead.
Old 11-09-15, 04:55 PM   #23

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (1GB) With Clear Case [NEWEST VERSION]
Use coupon Code NILQ8SN2 for $10 off. Final price $36.99 & free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AHALS71WJO58T
Old 11-20-15, 03:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (1GB) With Clear Case [NEWEST VERSION]
Use coupon Code NILQ8SN2 for $10 off. Final price $36.99 & free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AHALS71WJO58T
Sale just popped up on Amazon again. Final price after $10 off code is now $32.99.
Old 11-20-15, 05:01 PM   #25
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the alert... I just picked one up. Had a $22 credit and minus the $10 promo and free shipping, it was a cinch at only $10 shipped! My Amazon shopping for the year is completed.

Now I get to play with my rusty Linux skillz... should be able to come up with something neat like a good Retro MAME system.