DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-22-17, 12:33 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Best way to backup data?

Yeah, I just got an email from Crashplan as well. They've extended my current subscription by 60 days (out to 5/17/18), and are offering my choice of the following:

(1) Crashplan for Small Business (CP4SB). Can switch over any time before my current sub expires. Data will automatically migrate. Sub transfers to CP4SB, and my first 12-month renewal will be at 75% off their current rate.

(2) Carbonite. 50% off their regular price. No advertised migration help (so I'll either have to push several TB of data to them or will have to pay to get a seed drive - if they do that at all). According to an independent news article (link below), the 50% off is only for the first 12 months.

(3) Do nothing. CrashPlan will 'securely delete' my data when my sub runs out.

But here's an article that just hit the wire today that's worth an immediate read:

Linky: http://tidbits.com/article/17412

I'll upload the article in a standalone post.....
Old 08-22-17, 12:35 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

CrashPlan Discontinues Consumer Backups
by Joe Kissell

It has been a few years since a decision by a major tech company last turned me into a green rage monster, but it just happened again. Code42 Software has announced that it’s discontinuing its consumer backup product, CrashPlan for Home.

I’ve been using CrashPlan since 2007, shortly after its initial release, and I was so impressed by it from day one that I’ve been evangelizing it ever since. I wrote a book about it; I recommended it in numerous other books, including “Backing Up Your Mac: A Joe On Tech Guide”; and it was (until today) my top pick in a Wirecutter round-up of online backup services. In short, I have had a significant personal and professional investment in CrashPlan, based on countless hours of research and testing — I’ve evaluated more than 100 backup apps! — and now, with a mixture of anger and disappointment, I have to tell you that it’s time to find something else.

Just the Facts, Mac -- Let me set emotion aside for a moment and lay out the facts of today’s announcement.

According to Code42, the company has seen tremendous growth in revenue from its small business, education, and enterprise customers, but the needs of those customers have diverged sharply from the needs of consumers. So Code42 decided to put all its resources into serving its most profitable customers.

As a result, CrashPlan for Home will be discontinued entirely on 28 October 2018.

You may notice that date is just over one year and two months from now. Here’s what will happen between now and then:

◾ If you have an existing CrashPlan for Home subscription, it will continue to work, and the company will continue providing technical support, until the end date. In fact, Code42 told me that it’s doubling its tech support staff to help deal with transition issues.

◾ All current subscriptions will, in fact, be extended by 60 days (regardless of their current end date) for free. So if you subscribed this week, you can use the service for a full 14 months, and even if you subscribed a year ago, you have at least two months to move to a different service.

◾ On 22 October 2018, the consumer version of the CrashPlan app will stop working entirely — that includes local and peer-to-peer backups. So, even if you weren’t backing up to CrashPlan Central (Code42’s cloud storage space for consumers), you won’t be able to keep using the CrashPlan app. (On the other hand, users of the free CrashPlan app who were doing local or peer-to-peer backups will be able to take advantage of either of the same special discount offers available to CrashPlan Central subscribers, which I explain next.)

◾ For home customers who want to transition to CrashPlan’s small business plan (available for any group with 1–199 computers to back up), Code42 offers free, instant migration of your data; the transfer of any time remaining on your consumer plan to the small business plan; and a 75 percent discount on the small business plan for your first year. (Its normal price is $10 per device per month — that’s twice the price of the single-user CrashPlan for Home, and up to eight times as much as the now-discontinued family plan.)

◾ If you’re not a candidate for CrashPlan for Small Business, Code42 offers a discount on a Carbonite subscription, along with assistance in migrating to Carbonite. Carbonite normally charges $59.99 to $149.99 per year for home users, depending on which plan you buy, but CrashPlan for Home users will get a 50 percent discount for their first year. (Customers who opt for a business plan can also get 20 percent off Storage Packs, which appear to be multi-year subscriptions with extra cloud storage.) Unfortunately, while Carbonite is not bad on Windows, I would not recommend it to Mac users, because the Mac version offers neither versioning nor the option to use a personal encryption key. Plus, Carbonite artificially restricts upstream bandwidth, making it significantly slower than many competitors.

So Now What? If you’re a Mac user and, like me, find CrashPlan for Small Business to be too expensive and Carbonite to be inadequate, what’s your best bet for a CrashPlan replacement? Here are my thoughts:

◾ For easy online backups, switch to Backblaze. I like Backblaze, and everyone I know who has used it likes it too. It was the runner-up in my Wirecutter article, but now it will move into first place. Backblaze is fast, reliable, and secure, and it costs $5 per month per computer [edited to add: "or $50 per year per computer']. It wasn’t my first choice because, unlike CrashPlan, it doesn’t offer peer-to-peer backups (that is, you back up to my computer while I back up to yours), local backups (where you keep an extra copy of your data on a nearby hard drive or RAID), or a multi-user discount for families; and because the process of restoring files requires more steps than with CrashPlan and most other competitors. In addition, Backblaze stores deleted files and older versions of files for only 30 days, whereas CrashPlan lets you keep them indefinitely. However, Backblaze has the killer feature of still being available, in light of which those shortcomings seem comparatively minor. I will be moving my family’s online backups to Backblaze.

◾ You can also, of course, go with any of numerous other services if you like a different one better for any reason — again, refer to my round-up article for suggestions. Expect to see competitors offer special deals for people switching from CrashPlan — for example, iDrive announced a whopping 90 percent discount for the first year ($6.95 versus $69.50) for 2 TB of storage.

◾ If saving money is your top priority (especially for multi-computer households) and you don’t mind a bit of fiddling, you might consider using an app like Arq, ChronoSync, or CloudBerry Backup, which you combine with inexpensive online storage space you buy separately — for example, Amazon Drive, Amazon S3, Backblaze B2, or Google Drive. That said, Glenn Fleishman found that roll-your-own solutions were extremely complex and not necessarily any cheaper, depending on the details (see “Investigating ChronoSync 4.7 for Cloud Backup,” 22 December 2016).

◾ Regardless of whether or how you back up your data to the cloud, you should also have local backups stored on a hard drive — and not just versioned backups, such as those produced by Time Machine, but also a bootable duplicate (using, for example, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper). With local backups, you’ll have complete control over security, retention of old backups, and other details — and you won’t have to worry about cloud service outages or capricious corporate decisions.

◾ Bear in mind that you need not make a decision immediately. You have at least 60 days, and possibly as much as 14 months, to decide on a new backup plan and move your data. So if you’re feeling some strong emotions, you can wait until they subside. Take your time, do whatever research you need to do, and make a sober, responsible decision.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-22-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 12:41 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

As for me, I was using CP to backup the data on my 4TB RAID-1 NAS, which was mapped as a local drive on my PC, and was doing peer-to-peer backup of my kids' PC across the LAN to my primary PC. The NAS has a little under 1.5TB of data that's actively backed up.

If I stick with CP4SB, I'll drop the peer-to-peer backup, but will be paying $30 the first year and $120 annually after that for my NAS backup. If I transfer to Carbonite, the price is $30 first year / $75 subsequently. CP4SB will auto-migrate my data, Carbonite will force me to push all 1.5TB up through my 50/20 ISP connection (bleh!). Backblaze will be $50/$50 (unless they dangle an offer to get CrashPlan customers to come over), and I'll have to painfully push my data to them.

[update] iDrive is currently discounted to $52/year (2TB) or $104/year (5TB), prepaid for up to 2 years, and they support 3TB seeding. The seeding is FREE, though you can use it a limited # of times (1/year Personal, 3/year Business). Extra seeding is $60 per occurrence, and it's $100 to request them to send a drive to you if you need a full immediate restore. iDrive offers native support for Synology NAS.

[update 2] Backblaze does not support mapped NAS drives. Using Backblaze B2 will run ~$90/year, based on my storage needs.

So if it's just cost + convenience, I'll likely go CP4SB for the first year, then jump to iDrive. I may go ahead an move to iDrive now

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-22-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 01:00 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Google Drive:
15GB = free
100GB = $24/year ($2/month)
1TB = $120/year ($10/mo)
2TB = $240/year ($20/mo)

Microsoft OneDrive:
5GB = free
1TB = $70/year (includes Office 365)
5TB = $100/year (includes Office 365)

Amazon Drive:
5GB = free
100GB = $12/year
1TB = $60/year
2TB = $120/year

DropBox:
1TB = $100/year ($8.25/mo)
2TB = $150/year ($12.50/mo)
Unlimited = $240/year ($20/mo)

So if you're okay doing everything manually, the best annual prices are:
5 - 15GB = free (all services)
15 - 100GB = $12 (Amazon)
101GB - 1TB = $60 (Amazon) or $70 (OneDrive, if Office 365 is desired)
1 - 5TB = $100 (OneDrive)
> 5TB = $240 (DropBox)

...compare to $30 first year (CP4SB or Carbonite) or $50 (Backblaze)
...compare to $50 subsequent years (Backblaze), $75 (Carbonite) or $120 (CP4SB)

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-22-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 01:06 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Backblaze is already prepping for CrashPlan users:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/crash...ckup-solution/

No announced discount for CrashPlan users - yet.
Old 08-22-17, 01:15 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

My Synology NAS apparently has native support for cloud backup to Backblaze B2. I'm not familiar with pricing that charges individually for storage and downloading, so I don't know what to make of this:

$0.005 / GB / Month (so 1.5TB is $90/year)
plus
$0.02 / GB to download (so if my NAS crashes and I have to D/L 1.5TB, that's an additional $30)

Source: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html

Backblaze does NOT support backup of logical drives, like shared external drives and NAS (as I've been doing via CrashPlan).
Quote:
What does Backblaze Backup?

All Your Data
With the exception of your operating system, applications, or temporary files.

Unlimited File Size
The default of No Limit can be lowered in the preferences.

Connected Drives
USB and Firewire hard drives and internal drives connected at the time of the install or added later in the settings panel.

No Network Drives
Currently we do not backup network drives (NAS drives) or folders shared from another computer.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-22-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 01:46 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Damn... kenbuzz is spamming this thread, eh? Sorry.

Right now, looks like iDrive for me: https://www.idrive.com/pricing

Personal 2TB account is $69.50/year, discounted right now to $52.12. Can prepay for up to 2 years at that price. Includes free 3TB seed and native Synology NAS support. 256-bit AES encryption w/private key. And, the clincher, they're offering 90% off the regular price for the first year if you're coming to iDrive from a competitor. That's $7 for the first year. https://www.idrive.com/idrive/signup/el/get90

Since it's only $7, I'll likely sign up for iDrive now, see if the NAS configuration is straightforward or not, then request a seed drive and move everything up. For such a low price, I can't see any reason not to give it a spin while I decide what I'm doing between now and next May.
Old 08-22-17, 02:49 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

The spam is useful, so thanks, kenbuzz.

I'll look at Carbonite and Backblaze for backup but probably need to spring for something like OneDrive just for working files and general storage.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-22-17, 08:22 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Comparing Carbonite and Backblaze, and I think I definitely want the feature of backing up video and external hard drives, which kicks me up to the Plus version of Carbonite (currently $74.99, regularly $99.99 so I assume it'll be $99.99 next year). That's still only a few bucks per month difference so not a deal-breaker, but it's something to consider when I'm not finding a ton of other reasons to pick one over the other. E.g., if I'm paying $50 instead of $100, I could also do a second computer if I need that someday.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016

Last edited by davidh777; 08-22-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 08:35 PM   #35
Premium Member

I'd like to hear from someone that uses Cabonite on the types of files it backs up. It reads like cannot backup just anything.

The lower tier is: Backup of Photos, Documents, Music, Email and Financial Files

The next higher paid tier adds video.

I'm wondering if it can handle things like zip files, or backups of other program's proprietary formats (like DVDProfiler for example). That will turn me away if is particular about what it will and will not backup. I'm almost turned away already with the video being on a different tier.
Old 08-22-17, 09:11 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

I have a friend who's a Mac writer and he posted a Crashplan article today. I started reading then realized I had already read it from kenbuzz's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
I'd like to hear from someone that uses Cabonite on the types of files it backs up. It reads like cannot backup just anything.

The lower tier is: Backup of Photos, Documents, Music, Email and Financial Files

The next higher paid tier adds video.

I'm wondering if it can handle things like zip files, or backups of other program's proprietary formats (like DVDProfiler for example). That will turn me away if is particular about what it will and will not backup. I'm almost turned away already with the video being on a different tier.
The video is a big concern for me since I work with a lot of video files.
Old 08-23-17, 11:31 AM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ive used Crashplan for years. I have the Family plan which was great for backing up 4 computers in my house.
I'll probably drop 2 of the comps from back ups (one is a laptop and the other a tv computer). My wife's computer doesnt back up much data so maybe i can find a cheap plan for her. I'll probably end up with BackBlaze for my files (mainly home videos and photos)
Old 08-24-17, 11:08 AM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Just found out that iDrive has a discounted student plan. Half off regular price. Need a verifiable .edu address (or equivalent - list of valid domains are shown on the linked page below). Prices are $34.75/yr (2TB) or $49.75/yr (5TB)

Linky: https://www.idrive.com/online-backup-education

So the full range of iDrive options are:
$6.95 (5TB) for the 1st year (if you're coming from CrashPlan)
$34.75/yr (2TB), $49.75/yr (5TB) - student price
$52.12/yr (2TB), $74.62/yr (5TB) - discounted price (limited time?)
$69.50/yr (2TB), $99.50/yr (5TB) - regular price

Can pay for 1 or 2 years up front on all price tiers *except* the $6.95 tier

All personal accounts come with free annual seeding (up to 3TB), 256-bit AES encryption w/private key, file version history (up to 10 older versions retrievable), native Synology NAS support (as well as QNAP, Netgear and Asustor).

Looks like (as of right now), I'll go ahead and sign up for iDrive on the $7 first year plan. I'll have that *and* CrashPlan thru May 2018. I may consider taking CP4SB up on their $30 offer to extend my relationship with them thru May 2019, but if iDrive works out I'll likely just pull the plug on CP and pay iDrive for 2 years @ $50 w/my Student ID next August.
Old 08-24-17, 07:42 PM   #39
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I just bought a couple of 4 TB drives for $89 each, and I think that will do the job, without having to rely on "the cloud", which I don't trust due to reasons like CrashPlan discontinuing the service. What happens when the other services decide to discontinue due to purely monetary reasons?

So, revolving the backup between my two 4TB drives, one which is kept at home, one offsite (in a safe deposit box, revolved, and 'refreshed' once a month with the one I keep at home). So, I've got triple redundancy for the mere expedient of ~$170, backups that *I* control, and peace of mind that problems with "the cloud" I need not concern myself with.

Try it, you'll like it.
Old 08-25-17, 09:24 AM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

I do that as well. I rotate my two drives monthly, doing a full NAS backup each time. The current backup is at home, the previous month is locked up on the Navy base 40 miles away.

But I still prefer to have a third copy stored in the cloud.

Your system works for you. Mine works for me.
Old 08-25-17, 01:52 PM   #41
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I used to be all about backups. From the early PC days I had tape backups, then sysquest and Zip drives, then external hard drives. After 15 or so years of all that work, I finally said screw it, nothing on any computer is irreplaceable, let it go. But yeah, totally understand that that doesn't work for everyone.
Old 08-27-17, 08:22 PM   #42
Premium Member

Pulled the trigger and I'm giving BackBlaze a try. So far the interface is very simplistic, maybe too much so. And you tell it what not to backup rather than telling what to backup.
Old 08-27-17, 10:32 PM   #43
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am thinking about buying a drive and plugging it into my moms computer and setting up some sort off site back up that way. As long as a tornado doesn't take out the whole city it should be far enough way for a safe redundancy...
Old 08-29-17, 11:16 AM   #44
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Just got the Crashplan email. This sucks. I have until February next year, but damn...
Old 08-30-17, 07:39 AM   #45
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a large collection of "files" ... video, pictures, some music

Pictures of the family, I back up to google. For other stuff, it would be very costly to back it all up to a cloud and if our house got destroyed, it would really be the least of my problems and it is mostly all stuff I could get again.

I have gotten burned on single backup drives before, I ended up buying 4 4TB drives and put them in a NAS enclosure RAID 5 ... so that at least covers a drive going bad.

I have a second smaller one of these that I back up documents/tax stuff, etc onto and also push that stuff to OneDrive

That is really how I decide what goes where ... critical stuff backup local and somewhere on the cloud, porn .. errr I mean large files ... stays in the house.
Old 08-30-17, 09:58 AM   #46
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use BackBlaze as well. Can't say how easy it is to restore from a disaster (haven't had one yet), but as far as setting up the backups, it was pretty painless.

We have a ton of family photos on our PC that I was backing up to an external drive, but I feel better having them up in the cloud. $5 a month is worth it to me.

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
Old 08-30-17, 10:04 AM   #47
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bought a 1.5TB Western Digital Elements external HD back in 2011 to store my stuff, still working fine, I've only used a tiny portion of all that space. I don't leave it plugged into the computer, just plug it in when I need it.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 08-30-17, 02:29 PM   #48
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I jumped in on BackBlaze now as well. However it's like a 1000 days away from being finished. I have 5TB of data that I am "starting" with...another 2tb will go up once that is done.
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 08-31-17, 11:02 AM   #49
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope you're exaggerating on that 1,000 days from being finished - that's nearly 3 years!!
Old 08-31-17, 01:16 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Does BackBlaze offer a Seed service (like CrashPlan and iDrive)? If so, your initial upload time could be cut down dramatically and you could focus on incremental backups after that.