DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-02-14, 06:36 PM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Amazon Echo

Yeah I thought i'd use that feature a lot with my Droid Turbo which is always listening, alas I mostly use it to find my phone when I misplace it. Well that and music in the shower.
Old 12-02-14, 06:36 PM   #102
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
No problem! That's partly why I don't see the hubbub over Echo. It seems its only advantage is that you don't have to press or hold down a button to activate the voice commands. Otherwise it's the same as what we already have in our existing devices that are frequently on or close to us.
I may be unique, but I have Siri turned off. And I hate carrying my phone around the house. I'd use the Echo for alarms and music all the freaking time.
Old 12-02-14, 10:44 PM   #103
Time Lord

I'm not sure what circumstances would prompt you to turn off Siri but then choose to spend an extra $100-$200 for a device that is always listening by design, so you don't even have the option of turning the listening off.
Old 12-02-14, 11:03 PM   #104

Quote:
I'm not sure what circumstances would prompt you to turn off Siri but then choose to spend an extra $100-$200 for a device that is always listening by design, so you don't even have the option of turning the listening off.
Well, as I inferred, I'm not glued to my phone. I go days without it sometimes. If I had a droid that worked without touching it, I'd carry it more. But my wife and I are locked into the Apple system and happy enough with it.

Second, I'm only in at $99.

Third, you're sort of mixing arguments there; but I don't care if Amazon and everyone else listen to me 24/7.
Old 12-03-14, 01:01 AM   #105
Time Lord

I wasn't mixing arguments, I assumed you disabled Siri because you didn't want something listening to you. My mistake.
Old 12-03-14, 01:46 AM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

I've set alarms, added tasks, and even pulled out my GPS app (Google Now only goes to its own nav app but the Samsung one allowed me to choose Scout which is the GPS app I use) with the address already in all by voice. I dabbled with always-on but it drained the extended battery like you wouldn't believe, like from 30 hours to 2 hours (really big brick extended battery... love it!).

The only thing I haven't figured out is SMSing. It never picks up the contact correctly and I have to search and select the contact.

Now I don't know if I want the Echo anymore, I haven't opened it I did want it when I ordered it. Really the only advantage over my new-all-powerful phone is that it will play specific songs from Amazon Music (and I have shallow Top-40 taste in music so they have it all). And not having to reach for the phone to set the alarm.... decisions, decisions. I thought about dumping it on eBay. I wonder if it will be under $100 in 2 years or so. The Fire TV has gone for $79 or so.

Is this the first time Amazon has not allowed reviews for its new products on their page? And CNET apparently had to buy theirs from eBay.
Old 12-03-14, 08:29 AM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

I think because it isn't a finished product they're avoiding criticism for now.

I think you can do song specific choices on Google Now but only with Google Music. My favorite feature so far on the Droid Turbo is saying "Hey Droid Turbo, What's Up?" and it just reads me the most recent e-mails, txt messages and notifications.

Set Scout as your default GPS app and Google Now should launch it.
Old 12-03-14, 09:05 AM   #108

Quote:
I wasn't mixing arguments, I assumed you disabled Siri because you didn't want something listening to you. My mistake.
Oh, yeah, I guess that was the logical deduction. For me, I disable it partly for performance and mostly because I figure if I have to use my hands for it anyway, I might as well make the few swipes it takes to do the task.

I want full-on Star Trek computer functionality darn it!
Old 12-03-14, 09:14 AM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post

I think you can do song specific choices on Google Now but only with Google Music. My favorite feature so far on the Droid Turbo is saying "Hey Droid Turbo, What's Up?" and it just reads me the most recent e-mails, txt messages and notifications.

Set Scout as your default GPS app and Google Now should launch it.
The Galaxy S4 just replies "All's well on my side" Thanks for the GPS tip! I HAD tried hands-free at various times before but I hadn't realized it had finally become useful.

I'll give myself until Sunday to decide whether to keep it or not.

So no matter what I tried I could not send a text to my significant other. It would not recognize the last name no matter how I pronounced it. So I changed his last name to Honeybuns in the contacts. Text Honeybuns message hey baby. Now it works
Old 12-03-14, 09:20 AM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
They might also be thinking that every customer "review" will be "[one star] WHERE'S MY INVITE? I'M A LONGTIME PRIME CUSTOMER!! I SPENT SO MUCH ON BLACK FRIDAY!!! WAAAAH!!!!1!"
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 12-03-14, 11:45 AM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

Just received my invitation. And I'm undecided.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 12-03-14, 11:55 AM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition

send me an invite, amazon! i'll buy and open and use the damn thing!
Old 12-03-14, 11:09 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, this Q&A was in the invitation e-mail. Passing it along since I know some would be curious:

Quote:
How long is my invitation valid?
Due to the high number of requests, invitations expire after seven days.

When will I get my Amazon Echo?
Once you've added Echo to your Shopping Cart and proceeded to checkout, you'll see the estimated delivery date for your order.

Can I get a second Echo? Can I help a friend who has requested an invitation get one now?
Unfortunately, not at this time. Due to the overwhelming customer response, we've been able to fulfill only a small portion of the invitations requested, and Echo is limited to one per customer.

What music services can I listen to with Echo?
With Prime Music, Amazon Prime members can listen to over a million songs for free. You can also play music you've purchased or imported into your Amazon Music library. Plus, you can listen to thousands of radio stations and podcasts through iHeartRadio and TuneIn, and we will be adding more music services soon. You can also stream other music services to Echo from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth.

What can I use as the wake word?
The default wake word is "Alexa" (our homage to the library of Alexandria). You can also change the wake word to "Amazon" in the settings section of the Echo companion app. We'll be adding more wake words in the future.

How does Echo recognize the wake word "Alexa?"
Echo uses on-device keyword spotting to detect the wake word, and the wake word only. When Echo detects the wake word, it lights up. Echo then uses the processing power of Amazon Web Services to recognize and respond to your request.

Will Echo understand me all the time?
No, the state-of-the-art technology for computer understanding of natural language doesn't yet enable understanding all the time—but because Echo's brains are in the cloud, it will keep getting smarter.

What can't Echo do yet?
Echo can't yet provide services like traffic information, sports scores, or answers to current affairs questions. Stay tuned—we're working on these and many more, and will let you know as we add more capabilities.

How do I give feedback?
You can always provide feedback through the Amazon Echo app, and from time to time we may email you for feedback about specific Echo features.

Do I have to charge Echo?
No. Echo is always on, uses wall power, and doesn't need to be charged.

I'm a software developer, can I develop services for Echo?
We'd love to hear your ideas for what you might build for Echo. Contact us at echo-developers@amazon.com

What's the first thing I should ask Echo?
You could ask Echo for weather information or a flash briefing. Ask Echo for the meaning of life, or to "open the pod bay doors." Or just ask Echo to play some music. Echo might not always have the answer, but we hope you'll have fun helping Echo get smarter.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 12-04-14, 06:15 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Just received my invitation. And I'm undecided.
I want one for each floor. Ship yours to my house. Christmas is coming.....
Old 12-04-14, 10:12 AM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still waiting for an invite
Old 12-11-14, 07:04 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still waiting. I'm also worried that I might miss the invite Email.
Two questions for those who got an invite : 1) When you checked the Echo product page while signed into your account, was there an Add To Cart option, or did you have to go through the email link?
2) What was the Subject of your invite email?

Thanks

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 12-11-14, 11:33 PM   #117
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just wondering, since this thing is "Always On!1!11!!", just how much power consumption it is constantly drawing.

Probably a hidden sunk cost of $50-$100 a year in electricity costs... I wonder if Amazon will list its consumption in watts, or if they'll conveniently shy away from that...
Old 12-11-14, 11:47 PM   #118
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'm still waiting. I'm also worried that I might miss the invite Email.
Two questions for those who got an invite : 1) When you checked the Echo product page while signed into your account, was there an Add To Cart option, or did you have to go through the email link?
2) What was the Subject of your invite email?

Thanks
The email subject says: "Your Amazon Echo is ready to purchase". I went through the link, but since it is tied to your account, I would suspect that if you just went to the product page, you would see that you could add it to your cart. When I go to the product page now, it just says "Thank you for your purchase"
Old 12-11-14, 11:57 PM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'm just wondering, since this thing is "Always On!1!11!!", just how much power consumption it is constantly drawing.

Probably a hidden sunk cost of $50-$100 a year in electricity costs... I wonder if Amazon will list its consumption in watts, or if they'll conveniently shy away from that...
You're high. I have a Plasma and that's nowhere near as much per year. C'mon, I know you hate Amazon but scale it back a little.
Old 12-12-14, 12:01 AM   #120
Premium Member

Probably somewhere between a clock radio and a basic wireless router.
Old 12-12-14, 12:11 AM   #121
DVD Talk Godfather

Criticizing Amazon for electricity costs now

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-12-14, 08:59 AM   #122
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
The email subject says: "Your Amazon Echo is ready to purchase". I went through the link, but since it is tied to your account, I would suspect that if you just went to the product page, you would see that you could add it to your cart. When I go to the product page now, it just says "Thank you for your purchase"
Thank you for that information. I guess I'm still on the lookout for that invite.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 12-12-14, 11:05 AM   #123
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never got an invite.
Old 12-12-14, 11:17 AM   #124
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still no invite for me either.
Old 12-12-14, 11:18 AM   #125
TGM