DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-20-14, 01:12 AM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Amazon Echo

I said it before here, but this is a seriously strange, misguided way to launch a new consumer product right before the Holidays : Sell it for $199, but offer it to Amazon Prime members for $99 -- just don't tell them which ones get it for that price. Or when they find out. Or how they're deciding who gets it for that price. Or if it's all Prime Members or just a few.
Do they think any Prime members are going to buy it for $199 while they're still waiting to get it for $99? Or that there's more than a few who would happily buy it for $199 once they find out Amazon decided they wouldn't sell it to them for $99?
Amazon needs to be a lot more clear and transparent about this promotion.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 11-20-14, 01:27 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Do they think any Prime members are going to buy it for $199 while they're still waiting to get it for $99?
I would bet very few Prime members would purchase it at $199 knowing there was a possibility of them buying it at $99.

At $99, I'd jump on the Echo. At $199? Absolutely not.
Old 11-20-14, 09:28 AM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

First review is up. A perfect 10/10 from ZDnet from Yahoo.

Old 11-20-14, 11:28 AM   #79
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, I really want it for 99 bucks but will pass for 199
Old 11-21-14, 07:20 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm getting pissed at no invite. I buy a ton at Amazon. Not enough I guess though...

This will backfire on them. I'd probably pay $199, but not now on principal.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
Old 11-21-14, 07:29 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I said it before here, but this is a seriously strange, misguided way to launch a new consumer product right before the Holidays : Sell it for $199, but offer it to Amazon Prime members for $99 -- just don't tell them which ones get it for that price. Or when they find out. Or how they're deciding who gets it for that price. Or if it's all Prime Members or just a few.
Do they think any Prime members are going to buy it for $199 while they're still waiting to get it for $99? Or that there's more than a few who would happily buy it for $199 once they find out Amazon decided they wouldn't sell it to them for $99?
Amazon needs to be a lot more clear and transparent about this promotion.
Maybe their stock is really limited so they're seeing how many units they can move at $199. If they actually do sell some, then they hold off on the Prime invitations. If no one buys at $199, then that opens up more invites at $99. Prime members think they're getting an additional benefit even if the invite never arrives.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-21-14, 08:19 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

I don't even think you can buy one at full price without an invitation currently.

Old 11-21-14, 08:59 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I don't even think you can buy one at full price without an invitation currently.
I was misled by the search result telling me I could get it by 11/24 with Prime shipping.

Regardless, same concept could apply: Release $199 invitations and see what the response is before making decisions on Prime invites.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-25-14, 03:33 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone else get an invitation yet?

Old 11-25-14, 06:23 PM   #85
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Anyone else get an invitation yet?
I just got an invite today. Went ahead and bought it.
Old 11-26-14, 11:41 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

I got an invite and ordered. Here on 12/2.
Old 11-26-14, 11:43 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the money I spend via Amazon I thought I'd get an invite the same day. Still waiting.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 11-27-14, 06:00 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

That thing can set alarms??? Honestly, I'd pay a hundred bucks JUST FOR THAT. Never have to set up an alarm ever again, just tell it to set an alarm for 7p. That's just awesome.

Other things that I'd use regularly would be the weather forecast because I run a lot and Googling calories in stuff and also adding items to the to do list.
Old 11-27-14, 07:01 AM   #89
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
With the money I spend via Amazon I thought I'd get an invite the same day. Still waiting.
Between Amazon proper, Amazon payments, and Comixology; I probably give Amazon at least $50 a day. Still waiting.
Old 11-29-14, 12:37 AM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
That thing can set alarms??? Honestly, I'd pay a hundred bucks JUST FOR THAT. Never have to set up an alarm ever again, just tell it to set an alarm for 7p. That's just awesome.
Same here. If this thing can actually respond to my voice and set an alarm that would be money well spent.
Old 11-30-14, 06:17 PM   #91
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I said it before here, but this is a seriously strange, misguided way to launch a new consumer product right before the Holidays
I think its your assumption that this is a holiday consumer product launch (not just you, I've seen this same thought in other corners of the internet).

Amazon never promised that they would have this ready in time to have under the Christmas tree - and Amazon is usually really clear and definite on their delivery windows. This has always been a phased launch where some people would get invites "in weeks".

Is it weird to launch a CE device before the holiday and not have enough inventory to cover demand....not really. Look at every console release in the past decade.
Old 11-30-14, 06:48 PM   #92
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post

Other things that I'd use regularly would be the weather forecast because I run a lot and Googling calories in stuff and also adding items to the to do list.
Do you not own a smartphone? Siri, Google Now, and Cortana can all set alarms by voice.
Old 12-01-14, 12:24 AM   #93
DVD Talk Hero

I spoke with an Amazon rep in the Echo Customer Service Dept (yeah, apparently that's a thing). She said she's been getting a lot of complaints and admitted this isn't the best way to launch a consumer product during the Holidays. She said that there have only been "two small" batches of invites sent, that the selection is completely random and (most importantly) that everyone who requested an invitation would eventually get one - though that could be "in six days or in six months". She admitted it was unlikely to happen for me before Christmas though.

Old 12-01-14, 12:29 AM   #94
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemente View Post
I think its your assumption that this is a holiday consumer product launch (not just you, I've seen this same thought in other corners of the internet).

Is it weird to launch a CE device before the holiday and not have enough inventory to cover demand....not really. Look at every console release in the past decade.
What's weird is that the requests aren't being filled based on the order of pre-order requests. Using your Console Launch example : I got a PS4 at launch because I pre-ordered it from Amazon during E3 in June. I pre-ordered an Xbox One in September and had to wait until right before launch in November to find out I would indeed be geting a Day One Edition because there were so many ahead of me in the queue (OT, but God I wish I had waited a year on that front).

Old 12-01-14, 12:06 PM   #95
DVD Talk Limited Edition

still no invite for me. I'm glad to hear that i should eventually get an invite, though. I can deal with that
Old 12-01-14, 12:19 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I spoke with an Amazon rep in the Echo Customer Service Dept (yeah, apparently that's a thing). She said she's been getting a lot of complaints and admitted this isn't the best way to launch a consumer product during the Holidays. She said that there have only been "two small" batches of invites sent, that the selection is completely random and (most importantly) that everyone who requested an invitation would eventually get one - though that could be "in six days or in six months". She admitted it was unlikely to happen for me before Christmas though.
Nice to get that info, and thanks for passing it on. I assume that was completely scripted and not a CS rep going rogue.
Old 12-02-14, 05:07 AM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

Huh, what do you know, Google Now does that. Awesome. I've started to experiment with it. Thanks!
Old 12-02-14, 10:43 AM   #98
Time Lord

No problem! That's partly why I don't see the hubbub over Echo. It seems its only advantage is that you don't have to press or hold down a button to activate the voice commands. Otherwise it's the same as what we already have in our existing devices that are frequently on or close to us.
Old 12-02-14, 10:50 AM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's good to know. All I care is that I'll be able to get one at the discounted price. I don't really care when it happens. In fact, I'd rather wait to see if there any bugs with it that may keep me from buying it.

Thanks for relaying the info.
Old 12-02-14, 06:22 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
No problem! That's partly why I don't see the hubbub over Echo. It seems its only advantage is that you don't have to press or hold down a button to activate the voice commands. Otherwise it's the same as what we already have in our existing devices that are frequently on or close to us.
That's what I think is cool that you don't even have to hold down a button.