DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-09-17, 09:41 AM   #476
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Amazon Echo

And now we have Echo Show. The boys in the lab are smoking some strong stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J24C0TI...VRE2WKFEM34XYV

Old 05-09-17, 09:46 AM   #477
DVD Talk Godfather

Having a display to do video calling and show content makes a lot more sense then the Echo Look. The idea of it being able to be used like a baby monitor or security camera seems pretty cool. I don't see the negativity about this one.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-09-17, 09:51 AM   #478
DVD Talk Legend

How about how ugly it is? It looks like an old projection TV.
Old 05-09-17, 10:54 AM   #479
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Maybe they bought out Nucleus and just have them as Amazon-branded Echos now?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019JSE7PC...a-307603441595
Old 05-09-17, 12:23 PM   #480
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They probably could have used better wording to make it sound a little less creepy. From their advertising video:

Try "Alexa, drop in on Grandma"

and the couple having one right next to their bed, are they advertising an easier way to record a sex tape?

This would be an easy way to spy on your kids while they are home during summer break if you are at work
Old 05-09-17, 12:31 PM   #481
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This seems like a device for grandmas, like webtv
Old 05-09-17, 12:45 PM   #482
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh shit, I don't know why, but I kinda want this.
Old 05-09-17, 01:42 PM   #483
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like Cisco video conferencing gear.

I bet Apple is loving this though, Amazon gets to introduce it and get all the flack for an "ugly" design (I think it's fine personally), then when they introduce their "Siri with a screen" that looks a little better they'll get rained upon with accolades.

I don't mean that as a slight on Apple, I mean it as in I see it happening.
Old 05-09-17, 01:46 PM   #484
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've yet to see the benefit of these devices but if you're in the market for one, I'd say this is the way to go. A few friends of mine live by their Echo/Google Home. I'm sure they'll be tempted to pick this up.
Old 05-09-17, 03:21 PM   #485
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't need one of these things.
Old 05-09-17, 07:28 PM   #486
DVD Talk Legend

We have two dots and a Fire TV. I see this one in my future.
Old 05-09-17, 07:34 PM   #487
DVD Talk Hero

I have an Echo and two iPads. I also have two hand and am not paralyzed.
I see no reason to buy this and can't even think of anything it could do that I can't already do now.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-09-17, 09:20 PM   #488
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I have an Echo and two iPads. I also have two hand and am not paralyzed.
I see no reason to buy this and can't even think of anything it could do that I can't already do now.
I agree with you 100%, so why do I still want one, dammit!
Old 05-10-17, 01:18 AM   #489
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know, I don't do anything with my Echo Dot that I couldn't do manually before either via an app on my phone/tablet or my PC either so i'm not sure how this device would be different in that regard.

Don't picture myself buying one at full price compared to the significantly cheaper Dot that I won during Christmas though.

Old 05-10-17, 09:59 AM   #490
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't know, I don't do anything with my Echo Dot that I couldn't do manually before either via an app on my phone/tablet or my PC either so i'm not sure how this device would be different in that regard.

Don't picture myself buying one at full price compared to the significantly cheaper Dot that I won during Christmas though.
You sure love the Straw Man arguments, don't you stan?

Okay, since you bring it up : An Echo Dot is pretty worthless as a music-playing device unless hooked to external speakers -- in which case it isn't hands-free. Now an Echo on the other hand has certain utility as it can play any song by just asking. And most of us could easily envision the usefulness of that function as well as the ability to set a timer or check the weather forecast or add an item to a shopping list in the kitchen without using your hands or opening a device.

Now regarding this device : I fail to see the same utility to be able to ask it to play a song while displaying the lyrics, or asking it to play the next episode of "Bosch". And though there may be some convenience to do video chat hands-free, I still think holding an iPad and sitting comfortably or walking around the house for video chat is probably easier and more convenient than hovering over the device sitting on the bedside table.
At the risk of sounding crude, the only clear improvement this device provides in functionality is as a hands-free device for phone sex. Now I once had a long-distance girlfriend and yeah, under the right circumstances I can see that it might have some usefulness for some people. But that's the only one I could think of, and that's not something that I need.

Edit : Also would be useful to people who like to lounge in the bathtub for hours. Being able to watch television programs without touching anything might be good for them.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.

Last edited by Decker; 05-10-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 03:39 PM   #491
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You sure love the Straw Man arguments, don't you stan?

Okay, since you bring it up : An Echo Dot is pretty worthless as a music-playing device unless hooked to external speakers -- in which case it isn't hands-free. Now an Echo on the other hand has certain utility as it can play any song by just asking. And most of us could easily envision the usefulness of that function as well as the ability to set a timer or check the weather forecast or add an item to a shopping list in the kitchen without using your hands or opening a device.

Now regarding this device : I fail to see the same utility to be able to ask it to play a song while displaying the lyrics, or asking it to play the next episode of "Bosch". And though there may be some convenience to do video chat hands-free, I still think holding an iPad and sitting comfortably or walking around the house for video chat is probably easier and more convenient than hovering over the device sitting on the bedside table.
At the risk of sounding crude, the only clear improvement this device provides in functionality is as a hands-free device for phone sex. Now I once had a long-distance girlfriend and yeah, under the right circumstances I can see that it might have some usefulness for some people. But that's the only one I could think of, and that's not something that I need.

Edit : Also would be useful to people who like to lounge in the bathtub for hours. Being able to watch television programs without touching anything might be good for them.
I don't see how i'm making straw man arguments at all. By saying you had two hands and aren't paralyzed, you made it sound to me like you were insinuating that the Echo Show's functionality wasn't worth it only because you could already manually do them by hand. Sounds like I insinuated incorrectly, but I blame your snarky use of paralyzation

Also, I use the Dot to play music sometimes without an external bluetooth speaker, so saying it's basically worthless isn't accurate for everyone.

Anyway, on a bedside or kitchen counter where someone is more stationary, I can see the examples Amazon cites themselves as far as showing information that's more easier to use visually then audibly like recipes, a calendar, or song lyrics, and using the video camera included as a security camera at the front door or baby monitor. Obviously that use case will differ for everyone though.

Old 05-11-17, 05:06 PM   #492
DVD Talk Legend

So they pushed the communication part out already. The one thing that's pretty cool is the ability to intercom through the house, though you can't specify which echo device you want (all will ring). So as long as you have the Alexa app you can call home and speak through your echo as well. Otherwise I'd think for most people data is more limiting on a cell plan than voice, so I can't see the voice part between Alexa apps being all that helpful.