Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-21-14, 04:09 PM   #1
DVD Talk Godfather

Windows 9+1 Thread

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/21/60...vent-september

Quote:
Microsoft is planning to unveil its Windows 8 successor next month at a special press event. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the software maker is tentatively planning its press event for September 30th to detail upcoming changes to Windows as part of a release codenamed "Threshold." This date may change, but the Threshold version of Windows is currently in development and Microsoft plans to release a preview version of what will likely be named Windows 9 to developers on September 30th or shortly afterwards. The date follows recent reports from ZDNet that suggested Microsoft is planning to release a preview version of Windows 9 in late September or early October.

A VERY EARLY WINDOWS 9 VERSION FOR DEVELOPERS

The early technology preview will give developers a first look at the new mini Start Menu in Windows 9, alongside the removal of the Charms bar feature and several UI changes. Microsoft is currently compiling builds of Threshold ready for the preview that include an early version of Cortana, but it’s not clear if this particular feature will be made available as part of the technology preview.

While Threshold is likely to be named Windows 9, it’s unlikely that Microsoft will name its upcoming Windows release at its press event. Instead, Microsoft is said to be planning an overview of key new features of the upcoming operating system, with a technical preview ready for developers and enthusiasts. Microsoft is also building a separate combined version of Windows RT and Windows Phone, and the company may take the time to detail this work during its press event. Either way, Microsoft’s next version of Windows is nearing completion and the company will be ready to talk more about it next month.
So... will this be Windows XP to Windows ME or Windows 7 to Windows Vista and be the version that people actually like?

While I don't hate Windows 8 as much as the internet and the general outrage, the start screen is certainly a mess and I almost never use it or even see it now on both my desktop or my touch screen laptop. And especially tough since I felt Windows 7 was the best OS i've used. Looking forward to see if all the rumors of going back to the regular desktop and a start menu return pan out... and are actually functional.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-21-14, 04:26 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Windows 9+1 Thread

Based on what we know so far that seems likely:
  1. The return of the real start menu
  2. Modern apps run in windows
  3. Gone is the charms bar
  4. Virtual desktops
  5. Adapting UI behavior to match the environment (mouse/keyboard vs touch)
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 08-21-14, 04:28 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I think MS can improve by just focusing on Windows Phone/Phalet and desktop Windows. Surface Pro is pretty cool but expensive and not popular.

It's very early to be sure but I think Win 9 will get businesses interested in buying Windows again. So probably like Me to XP.

My home pc is seven years old and still works great with Vista. I will definitely get Win 9 if reviews are good.
Old 08-21-14, 04:33 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

I don't hate Windows 8.1 either but I don't use the apps or home screen. I'd love a real start menu again, but unless Microsoft has some killer deal on it I'm sure I won't get it for awhile.
Old 08-21-14, 09:22 PM   #5
DVD Talk Ruler

Thanks for starting this thread. It's going to be interesting to see what changes they make. I am very glad to hear about the return of the real start menu.

Overall I understand what they were trying to accomplish with Win8 but like Ranger said I think they went too far with focusing on the surface and for regular desktop users it just was annoying. And, to Ranger's other point, we have a surface and never use it... I'm not sure why. It's just not an exciting device.

Also glad the charms are going to go.

I hope they allow admins greater control over shortcuts and grouping thereof instead of the weird import thing you need to do today.

Fun stuff ahead
Old 08-21-14, 10:35 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

I usually skip every other OS release, and I've been doing well so far. I'm running W7 Ultimate without any issues.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-22-14, 10:28 AM   #7
DVD Talk Ruler

I really liked Win7 but the company I work is upgrading to Win8 and I'm on the engineering side so I really should know it to do my job properly. Plus my computer was getting old and outdated so I decided to purchase a new one. I had the choice between Win8 and Win7 but... and I decided to move forward.

I've gotten used to it but I still prefer Win7 over Win8.
Old 08-22-14, 03:19 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Once boot to desktop became available, I've preferred win 8 to win 7, though some things are still more difficult than they should be.
Old 08-22-14, 04:26 PM   #9
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I never had any issues with Win8, but I respect and understand that many did/do. I definitely prefer the latest version over Win7.

That said, the press around 8 is as bad or worse than Vista. It's definitely time for them to move onto 9 and start fresh. Sinofsky's reign of anti-consumerism is over.
Old 08-22-14, 06:26 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

I hope it turns out to be a solid OS like Windows 7.
Old 08-25-14, 07:54 PM   #11
DVD Talk Godfather

Some more news/rumors.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...cation-center/

Quote:
WinBeta writes that there will be a stricter division between different device user interfaces. Devices that don't need the desktop won't have it, sticking to a derivative of the Metro interface in their entirety.

The site also says that on devices that do have a desktop, there won't be any "Modern UI," though what this means isn't entirely clear. The new Start menu will, according to WinBeta, still be able to work like the Start screen currently does for those who prefer it (or for devices like the Surface Pro 3, where this makes a lot of sense)—which certainly sounds like a "Modern UI" to us. It might mean that there are no full-screen Metro applications, though this would seem a little strange given that full-screen applications are successfully used on other desktop operating systems such as OS X.

According to WinBeta, the live tiles on the Start screen (and Start menu) will be smarter, able to support certain kinds of interaction without having to open an application. A notification center is also believed to be part of the next operating system, and there should be greater customization options.

However, according to another report by Neowin, the public preview may not include this new user interface element work anyway. The builds currently doing the rounds are labeled "Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise," and as such these are most likely desktop oriented.

Old 08-26-14, 02:05 PM   #12
DVD Talk Godfather

And more rumors...

http://bgr.com/2014/08/26/windows-9-upgrade-price/

Quote:
According to the group, Microsoft is still toying with the idea of making Windows 9 a free upgrade for existing users who have purchased a retail or OEM version of Windows 8. The company is also toying with the idea of selling the upgrade to Windows 9 for just $20.

Similarly, an “awesome” upgrade offer is apparently in the works for Windows XP users, whom Microsoft is desperately trying to move to a newer Windows versions. Specific details about this upgrade proposal, or the actual Windows 9 retail price, aren’t available at this time.

WZOR has further revealed that a special Windows 9 Enterprise (Technical Preview) that lacks the Metro interface has been released to testers, and that a Windows 9 Pro OEM test version won’t be released.

Other leaked Windows 9 features include support for 3D Ultra HDTVs and for backing up and restoring data to the cloud. Furthermore, Microsoft is apparently working on a feature that would allow users “to virtualize backups of physical systems in the cloud,” as Myce puts it.

Finally, a Windows 9 RT version is also in the works, and a test version will be available as well, but only to Microsoft Surface users.

Old 08-26-14, 02:14 PM   #13
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Anything to get XP users away from XP is a good thing, IMO.
Old 08-26-14, 02:23 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

I wish they'd just stop with the "upgrade" versions that depend on a previous OS. Just give out the full version.
Old 08-26-14, 02:34 PM   #15
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure what you mean. The "Upgrade" version of 8 literally worked with every version of windows back to XP (and technically, anything before that like 2000 or ME...). It was perfectly feasible and legal to use the "upgrade" disc/iso for a clean install, assuming you owned a license to any prior version of Windows (which is true for anyone who has owned a PC and didn't pirate their OS, of course)

"upgrade" was just a way for them to differentiate between the majority of users and the small percentage who build their own PCs.
Old 08-26-14, 08:37 PM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He wasn't saying that the upgrade required a specific version, he doesn't like the fact that you have to own any previous version at all in order to get the "upgrade" price.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 08-26-14, 09:31 PM   #17
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Right, but that's an arbitrary requirement at best. It didn't stop anyone from buying the "upgrade," installing it on a brand new PC, and activating it. Even Microsoft was supporting people over the phone in doing just that if they ran into issues.

So, I agree that having separate "upgrade" and "full" versions is something they shouldn't carry over to 9. For consumer-facing SKUs, there should really only be one. Maybe two if you count RT, but no one counts RT.
Old 08-27-14, 08:08 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So right now I'm in the midst of putting together a desktop. I'm almost done, but now I'm wondering if loading Windows 8 is worth it or just purchase 7 and wait until 9 comes out. Any ideas? Would it be better to go with Windows 7 or 8 right now? And based on the reviews of 9, I'll decide then whether or not to upgrade. I have a 24" IPS monitor, but it's non-touch screen.
Old 08-27-14, 09:05 PM   #19
Admin-Self Banned

Hope it boots as fast as Win8, but has the start menu of Win7. I think this will be the upgrade path for many businesses (even though Win7 is under support until 2020). It should get a ton of people off XP, especially when their machines die and it's the main OS available for new PC purchase. I think some XP users have been limping along because as of the past 2-3 years buying a new PC meant Win8 which is so different looking than XP it caused fear in XP users.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-27-14, 09:10 PM   #20
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
So right now I'm in the midst of putting together a desktop. I'm almost done, but now I'm wondering if loading Windows 8 is worth it or just purchase 7 and wait until 9 comes out. Any ideas? Would it be better to go with Windows 7 or 8 right now? And based on the reviews of 9, I'll decide then whether or not to upgrade. I have a 24" IPS monitor, but it's non-touch screen.
If you get Win7, just make sure it's the 64 bit version. For familiarity I think Win7 is the way to go. I've been messing around with Win8.1 on a laptop I "inherited" from work. Win8.1 runs faster in my experience so far, but the program menu is a confusing, less functional mess. You can work around the program menu, but it takes a little more effort than how Win7 looks and loads out of the box.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-27-14, 10:05 PM   #21
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I think Windows 7 would be the way to go.

Old 08-27-14, 10:14 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, I'm going with the 64 bit 7.
Old 08-28-14, 01:01 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Oh that free upgrade would be sweet.
Old 08-28-14, 09:04 AM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Windows 8.1 is pretty easy after a few check box changes.

I hate Windows 8, but 8.1 is pretty alright.
Old 08-28-14, 09:45 AM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Windows 8.1 is pretty easy after a few check box changes.

I hate Windows 8, but 8.1 is pretty alright.
The only changes I would make with 8.1 is the ability to disable the app screen entirely (since I sometimes hit the Windows button) and implement a Start Menu. I hate having to right-click to navigate.