DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-21-15, 09:50 PM   #126
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Windows 9+1 Thread

Yes, it's pretty big. So, Microsoft is finally copying Apple's model of upgrading the OS without charge. It's about time, 10 years overdue.

Not too impressed with the other features of Win10. Seems like just more and more bloat... Come on... who really wants to stream Xbox games in Windows?

One good thing... getting rid of the terrible metro interface of Win8 and getting back to a functional start menu.

I think I'll just stick to a leanified version of Win7. And forget the additional 10 GB of bloat that Win10 adds to the table.
Old 01-21-15, 10:00 PM   #127
DVD Talk Godfather

I can see myself streaming games

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-21-15, 10:04 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

I thought users already could stream the xbox to the pc?
Old 01-21-15, 11:24 PM   #129
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I thought users already could stream the xbox to the pc?
Nope.

Old 01-22-15, 07:07 AM   #130
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"supported lifetime of the device"

eh?

Hopefully I can update to 10 from 8, since the 8.1 update just will not take no matter what I have tried on my main system.
Old 01-22-15, 07:09 AM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yes, it's pretty big. So, Microsoft is finally copying Apple's model of upgrading the OS without charge. It's about time, 10 years overdue.
Apple only started doing free upgrades of OS X starting with 10.9 Mavericks in 2013; Windows 8 was already out by that point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mavericks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

Since then, MS made the Windows 8.1 update free for all Windows 8 users. If you quibble that 8.1 doesn't count as an OS upgrade, then Windows 10 is the first upgrade from MS since Apple made the switch.
Old 01-22-15, 08:00 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

How much does a full copy of OS X cost?

Quote:

Not too impressed with the other features of Win10. Seems like just more and more bloat... Come on... who really wants to stream Xbox games in Windows?

One good thing... getting rid of the terrible metro interface of Win8 and getting back to a functional start menu.

I think I'll just stick to a leanified version of Win7. And forget the additional 10 GB of bloat that Win10 adds to the table.
A lot of people I would assume, since Microsoft doesn't have anything like Sony's PS Vita / Remote Play / PS TV, this would allow them to turn tablets into receivers for the Xbox One so you can plug it into another TV or just use it as a mobile device for your kids to play their Xbox One games on while you're watching TV. It isn't a professional feature, but it's a good one no less.

Metro honestly works quite well in 8.1 as long as you did boot to desktop and had App View on the start menu, the "Tiles" view is of course still a total clusterfuck, thankfully I haven't even seen that screen in close to a year.

My office runs Windows 8.1 and bought some thing to bring back the standard Windows 7 start menu, and while I agreed with it whole heartedly with Windows 8, it's totally pointless in 8.1.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-15 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 08:43 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
How much does a full copy of OS X cost?
I think the minimum is $499 for a Mac Mini, since you have to buy a Mac in order to get a full copy of OS X.

Or, it's $19.99, since you can still buy OS X 10.6 on disc from Apple:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...6-snow-leopard

It doesn't say whether it's a "full" or "upgrade" version, since Apple never made the distinction.

You can also still buy the OS X 10.7 and 10.8 versions as downloads from Apple for $19.99:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6...-mountain-lion

Apple has always made money off their hardware; the OS was just included. Microsoft, by contrast, has historically made their money off of the OS and other software, which they sold to OEMs, corporations, and end consumers.
Old 01-22-15, 08:58 AM   #134
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I think the minimum is $499 for a Mac Mini, since you have to buy a Mac in order to get a full copy of OS X.
Exactly. As far as I can tell, you can only get Mavericks with a new Mac.
Old 01-22-15, 09:43 AM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I wasn't going to upgrade from 8.1, but if it's free I'll go for it. I'll probably wait a few months to make sure nothing I use is too adversely affected.
Old 01-22-15, 03:55 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Apple only started doing free upgrades of OS X starting with 10.9 Mavericks in 2013; Windows 8 was already out by that point.
Snow Leopard went out to retail stores at a $29 price point whereas Lion and Mountain Lion went directly to the App Store at $29/$19 respectively. Even if Mavericks was the first OS X release that went out for free to consumers, Apple has been undercutting Microsoft's OS costs significantly to customers for over six years now. In addition, customers who have purchased Macs over the past two years now also also get iLife and iWork suites (and all future updates) for free. Now granted you have to buy Apple hardware to be eligible for this software, but it's a great way to keep customers and have them continue to stay up-to-date without having to worry about incompatibility and security problems.

While making Windows 10 free to upgrade is a great move and Windows' entire keynote yesterday piqued my interest into the Windows ecosystem again, I'd like to see them become a little bit more ambitious when it comes to pricing of Office and their other software consumers. While I get an Office 365 subscription from my job for free, I personally do not see the value of paying $70 a year for software I rarely use. With Google Docs/Google Drive and iWork/iCloud, my need for Office is now pretty much non-existent with the exception of when some asshole sends me a spreadsheet utilizing Visual Basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Exactly. As far as I can tell, you can only get Mavericks with a new Mac.
If you own a Mac with Snow Leopard on it, you get Yosemite for free. The same applied to Mavericks in 2013 as well. So pretty much any Mac computer in the past seven-to-eight years can get the upgrade without paying a cent. Source: I own a Mid-2011 iMac and got Mavericks and Yosemite for free on day one.
Old 01-22-15, 04:23 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Snow Leopard went out to retail stores at a $29 price point....
Yes, but my post was in regards to zyzzle's quote talking about "Apple's model of upgrading the OS without charge..." saying that MS is "10 years overdue." In fact, Apple has only been giving away OS X upgrades for free for less than two years.

Quote:
Even if Mavericks was the first OS X release that went out for free to consumers, Apple has been undercutting Microsoft's OS costs significantly to customers for over six years now...
Yes, Apple started cutting the price of OS X with Snow Leopard. It still wasn't free until 2 years ago, and the reduced pricing didn't start 10 years ago.

Microsoft released the Windows 7 Family Pack for MSRP $149.99, which activated on 3 PCs, meaning only $50 per PC.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/04/m...overs-three-p/

Also, when Windows 8 came out, there was an initial discounted price of $39.99 for upgrades:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/sof...etails-1088425

So MS isn't a stranger to discounting its OS, at least for time-limited promotions.

Quote:
In addition, customers who have purchased Macs over the past two years now also also get iLife and iWork suites (and all future updates) for free. Now granted you have to buy Apple hardware to be eligible for this software...
This is the whole point. Apple makes money off of the hardware, the costs of the software are included in that. When Apple gives away software for it's platform, it earns money via more people buying its hardware. MS only recently started selling hardware, and it's not exclusive; lots of other manufacturers sell Windows hardware. MS primarily makes money on its software, which is why they historically have not given it away for free. The closest is maybe when they made Internet Explorer free for all Windows users, shortly before bundling into the OS.
Old 01-23-15, 10:47 AM   #138
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-23-15, 04:08 PM   #139
DVD Talk Godfather

The updated technical preview is out - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eview-download

Old 01-23-15, 04:37 PM   #140
DVD Talk Godfather

Installed it on a VM. Never tried the previous one. First impression... the background is pretty! The folder icons are different in File/Windows Explorer and throwing me off! Aww, no Spartan Browser to try out

Old 01-23-15, 05:08 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

I will try with Hyper-V, just so I can try Windows 10 and Hyper-V at the same time. :P

It's suppose to run fine in Virtualbox too, that I have (Ubuntu and Mac).

But I wanted to try the Xbox integration, but it seems this month is not that big, so I may wait another month.
Old 01-24-15, 01:08 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

If it's going to be free, why bother with a product key?
Old 01-24-15, 01:26 PM   #143
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
If it's going to be free, why bother with a product key?
The upgrade is free. And only for the first year. You still have to have an initial license point.
Old 01-24-15, 01:27 PM   #144
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

It's only free if you're upgrading, and it's only free if you upgrade within the first year.
Old 01-24-15, 04:52 PM   #145
Inane Thread Master

i'm still using Vista. do i need to upgrade? how do i do that exactly? will my desktop and all programs and files remain intact? will i still have my Windows Mail?
Old 01-24-15, 05:04 PM   #146
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're upgrading Vista to Win10, chances are it'll run very slowly and / or be quite incompatible with your older system.

Get rid of Vista, post-haste, don't bother with Win10. Put Win 7 on your system and become a happy camper. Problem most expediently solved.
Old 01-24-15, 05:10 PM   #147
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If you're upgrading Vista to Win10, chances are it'll run very slowly
7 ran smoother than Vista, and 8.1 runs smoother than 7, at least on my machines that have had all three. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 is on the leaner side as well.

Quote:
and / or be quite incompatible with your older system.
This is the main issue, though. He's bound to run into some driver-related issues, depending on his current setup.

Quote:
Get rid of Vista, post-haste, don't bother with Win10. Put Win 7 on your system and become a happy camper. Problem most expediently solved.
IF he can still find a Windows 7 license for a good cost, sure.

Personally, I'd recommend an inexpensive replacement PC when 10 is out. Then just copy over the files you want with a USB drive, and re-install your most important programs.
Old 02-06-15, 07:31 PM   #148
DVD Talk Godfather

A cool article about DirectX 12; posting here since it's Windows 10 only with a good summarization of why since there's always folks that scream and yell at Microsoft for not supporting their older Windows versions on these things.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/t...dia-star-swarm

Quote:
Backporting DirectX 12 to earlier OSes would require backporting WDDM 2.0 as well, which brings with it several issues due to the fact that WDDM 2.0 is a kernel component. Microsoft would either have to compromise on WDDM 2.0 features in order to make it work on these older kernels, or alternatively would have to more radically overhaul these kernels to accommodate the full WDDM 2.0 feature set, the latter of which is a significant engineering task and carries a significant risk of breaking earlier Windows installations. Microsoft has already tried this once before in backporting parts of Direct3D 11.1 and WDDM 1.2 to Windows 7, only to discover that even that smaller-scale project had compatibility problems. A backport of DirectX 12 would in turn be even more problematic.

Old 02-06-15, 09:40 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
A cool article about DirectX 12; posting here since it's Windows 10 only with a good summarization of why since there's always folks that scream and yell at Microsoft for not supporting their older Windows versions on these things.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/t...dia-star-swarm
I think not backporting this time won't be as contentious an issue, considering the free upgrade offer to 10, and the fact that they'd only have been backporting to 8.1 anyway, since 7 just exited mainstream support.
Old 03-18-15, 12:14 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Windows 10 is set to be released "this summer," so probably by September:
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...und-the-world/

Also, the Windows 10 upgrade will be free to both genuine and non-genuine (aka pirated) installs of Windows:
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...genuine-users/