Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-21-16, 02:33 PM   #651
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Windows 9+1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
I upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro a couple weeks ago using a Win 8 Pro key.
^bump

I'm eyeing an inexpensive Notebook that comes with Win 8.1 shipped. I know the free Win 10 Upgrade ship has long since sailed, but has anyone recently tried to install 10 using an 8.1 product activation code? I'd hate to spend $125 on the Notebook just to drop another $100 to get rid of 8.1.
Old 12-27-16, 03:26 PM   #652
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I'm eyeing an inexpensive Notebook that comes with Win 8.1 shipped. I know the free Win 10 Upgrade ship has long since sailed, but has anyone recently tried to install 10 using an 8.1 product activation code? I'd hate to spend $125 on the Notebook just to drop another $100 to get rid of 8.1.
"Customers who use assistive technologies" can still get it for free through Microsoft, but you don't actually have to use any assistive technologies to download and install it. I have installed and activated it successfully on an 8.1 desktop.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade
Old 02-03-17, 03:43 PM   #653
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

If you're still on W7... this upgrade works.
Old 03-30-17, 07:34 PM   #654
DVD Talk Godfather

Creators Update out April 11th. You can manually install it on the 5th.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...TvqJ9CUBbo7.97

If you hate Windows and Windows 10, you can probably make your own OS for 1/5th the cost.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-17-17, 02:11 PM   #655
DVD Talk Legend

I have Win 10 updates shut down on all my systems (all of my WiFi connections are "metered"). I have seen very little about this update - what's in it and why on earth would I want it?
Old 05-17-17, 03:14 PM   #656
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I have Win 10 updates shut down on all my systems (all of my WiFi connections are "metered"). I have seen very little about this update - what's in it and why on earth would I want it?
Do you mean the Creator's Update? You should be installing the security updates monthly, as this last rash of ransomware has established via exploiting a security flaw that had been patched for current versions of Windows 2 months ago (although W10 wasn't affected at all by this one in particular).

As for the "feature updates" or milestones like Creator's Update, you have to be on the most recent one to continue getting security updates. The timeline is supposed to be that you have 60 days to install the new feature update, after which the older version will no longer receive security updates. MS extended this for the RTM Windows 10, but that's no longer getting security updates either.
https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016...servicing.aspx
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...curity-updates

The idea that you could go without updating your Windows PC regularly is no longer a viable option. There's way too many security risks to use a PC that's not fully updated, and with MS moving from distinct versions of Windows to just constantly updating Windows 10, you can't just stick with a version you like for a decade at a time.

The main thing I've read is that, while Creator's Update doesn't provide a lot a new features on the front of the house, on the backend it's stable, so there's really not a good reason to not update to it.
Old 05-22-17, 08:06 PM   #657
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post

The idea that you could go without updating your Windows PC regularly is no longer a viable option. There's way too many security risks to use a PC that's not fully updated, and with MS moving from distinct versions of Windows to just constantly updating Windows 10, you can't just stick with a version you like for a decade at a time.

The main thing I've read is that, while Creator's Update doesn't provide a lot a new features on the front of the house, on the backend it's stable, so there's really not a good reason to not update to it.
Although I can see your point applies to an average, perhaps somewhat careless user, I beg to differ. If one is careful -- turning off Javascript and ActiveX, not opening any attachments, maintaining a decent hosts.txt file, perhaps funneling all cookies and temporary internet files to a RAMDRIVE, only going to "trusted" site, being careful about IE's security settings, etc, etc, it IS possible to function just fine in a non-updated Windows system. I'm using a leanified version of Win7 without any incidents or surprises, but I do all of the above...
Old 05-22-17, 09:01 PM   #658
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Although I can see your point applies to an average, perhaps somewhat careless user....
Nope, not true anymore. Legit mainstream sites get hacked, or end up inadvertently serving malware via bad ads from their ad networks.

Also, the recent WCry outbreak relied on a security flaw in SMB in Windows. PCs simply had to be on the same network as another infected PC in order to get infected.

Quote:
If one is careful -- turning off Javascript and ActiveX....
Well, most browser don't support ActiveX anyway. And while turning Javascript off can mitigate most exploits, it also breaks the way most websites display pages and work nowadays. It then falls back to selectively enabling certain Javascripts on a page until it reaches some semblance of functionality, which requires expertise and still leaves you exposed to some degree.

A blacklisting hosts file is basically an exercise in futility, as botnets and hackers shift IPs and URIs way too frequently nowadays for it to really offer any long term security.

Leaving your OS unpatched is stupid, and thinking your behavior is so good as to not ever let your PC fall prey to infection is hubris.
Old 05-23-17, 03:13 PM   #659
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Nope, not true anymore. Legit mainstream sites get hacked, or end up inadvertently serving malware via bad ads from their ad networks.

Leaving your OS unpatched is stupid, and thinking your behavior is so good as to not ever let your PC fall prey to infection is hubris.
Yeah, I agree that the "it can't happen to me because I'm so 'leet" is being dangerously misguided these days, it actually worked up until probably 2-3 years ago. Now, with WannaCrypt and its ilk, all bets are off, as you correctly stated.

The best way of dealing with all of this bullshit is to have a turn-key backup. Oh, in 15-30 minutes you can be back up and running with a sector-identical backup to the state before any unpleasantness occurred. It's almost worth it in time alone, when you realize that when you do that weekly 15 minute backup, you don't have to deal with all the bullshit / limitations / telemetry / Microsoft shenanigans that are forced down you with Win10 and its terrible, bloated, mess of an OS.

Or, do as I'll soon be forced to do: Switch to Linux and never look back.
Old 05-23-17, 03:43 PM   #660
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The best way of dealing with all of this bullshit is to have a turn-key backup. Oh, in 15-30 minutes you can be back up and running with a sector-identical backup to the state before any unpleasantness occurred.
A backup is always a good idea, although with ransomware you want to be aware of the type of backups you're doing and their destination, as it's possible for ransomware to also encrypt backups if they're still attached to the infected PC in any way. So backing up to a USB attached external won't necessarily save you.

Also, backups won't necessarily prevent other malware from doing other things with your PC, like making it part of a botnet for DDOS attacks, for example, or spyware. That stuff can run undetected for a long time. I've heard of situations where people try to recover from malware by restoring from a backup, only to find the system backups they have are also infected.
Old 05-24-17, 12:04 AM   #661
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right, using a removable, swapable USB external drive is key for the backup... Manually disconnect after each use!!! Foolishly leaving it connected to the system all the time is almost worse than creating no backup at all - gives a false sense of security which is then shattered when some ransomware gets on the system and encrypts all detectable drives in the system!

Sigh... I remember a time 30 years ago when DOS was all the rage, things were simpler, one just "got to work" in 5-10 seconds at the trusty ol' DOS prompt, and none of these egregrious, shameful, and cringe-inducing malware, spyware, ransomware, telemetry, bullshit eye-candy, bloated messes even existed. E-mail on FIDOnet was it! I miss the sheer simplicity of Telix and Zmodem! The Good Old Days...
Old 06-04-17, 06:59 PM   #662
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just received the Creators Update & now my PC is 2x slower & VLC is not remembering the audio device. Every time I open a video/audio file I have to reset the audio device. I uninstalled the update but these issues still persist. Anyone else run into problems after this update?