DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-28-14, 10:36 AM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

re: Windows 9+1 Thread

I disabled charms, disabled corners, and make the Start Screen go straight to applications which makes it basically a full screen start menu, never see the tiles bs -- which I kind of like since I hit the Windows key and just type what I want to load anyway. Boot to desktop is default.

It's all good enough. I still believe this all stems from Microsoft trying to make additional money through MS Store Apps. Amazing how much a little greed can bring you down.
Old 08-28-14, 11:20 AM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if they will not offer the 32-bit version. Rumor in past said they wouldn't have 32-bit Win8 but they did.

And if there will be better support for USB installs. I think MS only made the USB tool for Win7 but it still worked for Win8.
Old 08-28-14, 04:48 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I wonder if they will not offer the 32-bit version. Rumor in past said they wouldn't have 32-bit Win8 but they did.
I hope so.

I'm on Win 7 32-bit. I refuse to upgrade since this PC fits all my needs and runs very fast on 4gigs.
Old 08-28-14, 04:57 PM   #29
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
I hope so.

I'm on Win 7 32-bit. I refuse to upgrade since this PC fits all my needs and runs very fast on 4gigs.
If you don't want to upgrade anyway, what does it matter if a future OS is 64-bit only? And unless your CPU is old enough where it doesn't support x64, I don't see why you would specifically not want to move to it anyway (assuming there's a proper ugprade path).

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-28-14, 05:16 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
If you don't want to upgrade anyway, what does it matter if a future OS is 64-bit only? And unless your CPU is old enough where it doesn't support x64, I don't see why you would specifically not want to move to it anyway (assuming there's a proper ugprade path).
I have a gut feeling that Windows 9 is going to be an amazing OS. Nothing like Windows 8.

That's how the history of Microsoft OS goes they release a good one, then a shitty one, then another good one and so on so on.

So if Windows 9 turns out to be great I would like to have the privilege to upgrade regardless if I own a old PC that still kicks like a mule.
Old 08-29-14, 12:12 AM   #31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Right, but that's an arbitrary requirement at best. It didn't stop anyone from buying the "upgrade," installing it on a brand new PC, and activating it. Even Microsoft was supporting people over the phone in doing just that if they ran into issues.

So, I agree that having separate "upgrade" and "full" versions is something they shouldn't carry over to 9. For consumer-facing SKUs, there should really only be one. Maybe two if you count RT, but no one counts RT.
The enforcement may have been arbitrary, but the marketing was not. The packaging and all marketing material clearly stated that a previous version of Windows was required. Many people base their purchase on the trustworthiness of such claims. It is dishonest of Microsoft to claim that the previous version is required, but then not enforce that requirement. The result is that many people paid much more for the OS than others, but in reality got the exact same product.

But the bottom line is that the days of charging for an OS are pretty much over. It is nothing more than a vehicle to a company's real money-making products and services and should be available to anyone who wants to install it.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 08-29-14, 01:35 AM   #32
DVD Talk Ruler

They should just charge $20 for a a new version of Windows. With that key you can install on a new PC or upgrade your existing. Whatever you want to do.

They should drop 32 bit OS support. It's 2014 people .. If your computer is too slow or doesn't have the memory you need a new rig anyhow.

Also get rid of the wow6432node and the program files (x86) folder and go back to the standard windows locations. Use symbolic links to support legacy 64 bit applications.
Old 08-29-14, 06:13 AM   #33
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have every expectation that Win9 will be a very solid OS. A resource hog, mind you, but beating Win8 shouldn't be very hard. We want the OS to be seamless, streamlined, painless, not in your face obnoxious like Win8 is. And hopefully Win9 will consume minimal CPU resources itself while offering an optimized non-eye candy approach.

The best feature will be of course properly and intelligently *detecting* which type of system you're running on during the install / upgrade, and then dynamically adjusting based whether you are on a PC with a keyboard, a touchscreen, a phone, etc. Of course the option to manually switch should always be available. But, we should not be forced into a touchscreen look on a non-touchscreen device, as Win8 foisted upon us.
Old 08-29-14, 08:33 AM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
They should just charge $20 for a a new version of Windows. With that key you can install on a new PC or upgrade your existing. Whatever you want to do.

They should drop 32 bit OS support. It's 2014 people .. If your computer is too slow or doesn't have the memory you need a new rig anyhow.

Also get rid of the wow6432node and the program files (x86) folder and go back to the standard windows locations. Use symbolic links to support legacy 64 bit applications.
Charging $20 would be reasonable for people who need to buy a disc copy. Downloads could still be free, or maybe $10.

Not sure about the dropping of support for 32-bit applications, though. Many businesses still rely on some legacy 32-bit code.
My DVDs
Old 08-29-14, 08:41 AM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, they can't go to pure 64-bit unless they plan to alienate a lot of businesses.

Also I have to disagree that the days of "charging for an OS" are over, sure Apple (included in the cost of hardware) and Microsoft are the only ones really doing it, but they've always been the main ones doing it. Microsoft seemed like they were going the alternate route with the MS Store in Windows 8, but thankfully that was a giant failure (seriously, I feel like the entire tile interface on windows 8.0 was intended just for that garbage). The main exceptions, Chrome and Linux, both have a long, long way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I have every expectation that Win9 will be a very solid OS. A resource hog, mind you, but beating Win8 shouldn't be very hard. We want the OS to be seamless, streamlined, painless, not in your face obnoxious like Win8 is. And hopefully Win9 will consume minimal CPU resources itself while offering an optimized non-eye candy approach.

The best feature will be of course properly and intelligently *detecting* which type of system you're running on during the install / upgrade, and then dynamically adjusting based whether you are on a PC with a keyboard, a touchscreen, a phone, etc. Of course the option to manually switch should always be available. But, we should not be forced into a touchscreen look on a non-touchscreen device, as Win8 foisted upon us.
8.1 isn't in your face or obnoxious imho, once that tile screen went away at least.
Old 09-11-14, 08:41 AM   #36
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

http://winsupersite.com/windows/wind...nalysis-part-1
and
http://winsupersite.com/windows/wind...nalysis-part-2

I'm too lazy to embed the screen caps. Some interesting stuff in there.
Old 09-11-14, 11:49 AM   #37
DVD Talk Godfather

I miss Aero.

The Start Menu looks ugly, hope its a bit customizable to lose some of those Metro tiles on there.

Old 09-11-14, 12:48 PM   #38
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I miss Aero.
eww. I much prefer the flat look.

Quote:
The Start Menu looks ugly, hope its a bit customizable to lose some of those Metro tiles on there.
When those tiles are populated with actual information, they look nicer. At least on W8 and WP8. I imagine that'll carry over to that start menu as well...
Old 09-11-14, 01:22 PM   #39
DVD Talk Godfather

I like the pretty UI effects, even if some people like to call it Fisher Price for some dumb reason.

I think most of the tiles still look ugly even with information, but hopefully they will at least be resizable like the current tiles are.

Old 09-12-14, 02:46 PM   #40
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-12-14, 02:55 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hero

Ohhhhh shit son! It's like they took Windows 8.1 and added Windows 7 to the mix. Sick!
Old 09-12-14, 05:32 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Windows 8 and 9 ese muy feo ah ah ah ahaaa

Old 09-15-14, 04:59 PM   #43
DVD Talk Godfather

Sept 30th event official.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/61...-san-francisco

Quote:
Microsoft is preparing to detail its next major version of Windows. We had been expecting the company to hold a press event later this month, and now it’s official. Microsoft will hold a "Windows event" in San Francisco on September 30th. The software maker started emailing out invites to the event today, and Joe Belfiore and Terry Myerson will be leading a discussion around the future of Windows. The event will focus on enterprise and power users of Windows.

Old 09-15-14, 05:39 PM   #44
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

obvious prediction is obvious: They might just end up dropping the numerical value from the name. It'll just be... Windows.
Old 09-15-14, 10:32 PM   #45
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems like a safe bet. Many people don't even remember that prior to Windows 95 (not counting Windows for Workgroups), the version number was never really part of the branding of Windows.
My DVDs
Old 09-20-14, 12:46 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
Seems like a safe bet. Many people don't even remember that prior to Windows 95 (not counting Windows for Workgroups), the version number was never really part of the branding of Windows.
The version numbering wasn't as prominent, but it was always on the packaging.
http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...-design-643034

DOS heavily featured the version number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEvPZUdAVI

I don't think versioning is every really going to go away. Even iOS and OS X, which offer free upgrades, still label each release with a version number and/or name. Android uses numbers and names for new versions.
Old 09-21-14, 12:31 AM   #47
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The version numbering wasn't as prominent, but it was always on the packaging.
http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...-design-643034

DOS heavily featured the version number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEvPZUdAVI

I don't think versioning is every really going to go away. Even iOS and OS X, which offer free upgrades, still label each release with a version number and/or name. Android uses numbers and names for new versions.
I didn't say it wasn't on the packaging. I said it wasn't part of the branding (i.e., the marketing name, appearing as part of the logo). Prior to Windows 95, the product name was "Windows" or "Microsoft Windows". Since then, the "version" has always been part of the marketing name - "Windows 95", "Windows Me", "Windows XP", and so on. It would be a noticeable shift to go back to just "Windows" as the marketing name.
My DVDs
Old 09-21-14, 02:05 AM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

I think plain 'Windows' is a stupid name.
Old 09-21-14, 10:22 AM   #49
DVD Talk Godfather

Agreed

Old 09-21-14, 11:49 AM   #50
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
I think plain 'Windows' is a stupid name.
And so was "Windows Me." Both the name and the software.