DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-11-14, 03:25 PM   #126

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

File under life's little ironies: the clasp on my watch band broke last week, went yesterday to the local jeweler to fix it -- it will take thee days (and $20) to fix it, so now I'm without a watch and discovering I'm definitely not in the "I've got a phone, I don't need a watch" category. Anyway, couldn't help thinking that if it had been an Apple Watch I would have been in and out of the Apple Store, with a free replacement band in 10 minutes. But, that' s neither here nor there.

Personally I don't see why I want to replace my $75 Wegner (Swiss Army) watch which, bad support aside, lasts maybe 5 years and requires maybe 2 battery swaps in its lifetime. What would change my mind? A killer app of some sort. I can imagine two one: if the NFC payments become truly ubiquitous - you could wave your watch without even fishing out your phone -- add that to transportation and I'm in. Two: having a job the requires you to be really frequently on call. The watch would be the best way to get notifications - you wouldn't miss them and they could be very unobtrusive in situations where even a vibrating phone can be a taboo distraction.

One potential obstacle - I wear my watch on the inside of the wrist -- wonder if that will screw up all the motion based wake/sleep stuff?
Old 09-11-14, 03:34 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
But they can also last multiple lifetimes and can be handed down. An Apple Watch...I'm going to say those won't have the same longevity.
Very true. I'd be curious how much the highest end ones go for - In theory Apple could chose to make them upgradable -- but the chances are very slim.

Nonetheless: if we are simply making predictions, rather than expressing personal opinion -- I'll go on record just as I did with the iPad, iPod and iPhone before sit - the Apple Watch will be a success.
Old 09-11-14, 03:39 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah I agree it'll be a success. I'm actually interested, but I'll have to handle it in person before making a decision.
Old 09-11-14, 03:45 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'm not James Bond, nor do I care to wear a heavy, ugly rock on my wrist, so No, no sir, I will not be getting one. Methinks Apple made a blunder with this watch... demand just won't be there after the initial rabid fans get theirs.
Ben Thompson has a great response (written a while ago) to the "only Apple Fans will buy it" stuff.
Quote:
People often mock any new Apple product by pointing out that, “Sure, the diehards will buy whatever Apple releases” before insisting that said product will never have broad appeal. We saw it with the iPad, the iPhone, and the iPod, and we’ll almost assuredly see it with the wearable. And, when and if people complain that only Apple fans will buy the wearable, Tim Cook and company are liable to nod their heads, knowing that that’s the point.
http://stratechery.com/2014/wearable...chickens-eggs/
Old 09-11-14, 03:47 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
File under life's little ironies: the clasp on my watch band broke last week, went yesterday to the local jeweler to fix it -- it will take thee days (and $20) to fix it, so now I'm without a watch and discovering I'm definitely not in the "I've got a phone, I don't need a watch" category. Anyway, couldn't help thinking that if it had been an Apple Watch I would have been in and out of the Apple Store, with a free replacement band in 10 minutes. But, that' s neither here nor there.

Personally I don't see why I want to replace my $75 Wegner (Swiss Army) watch which, bad support aside, lasts maybe 5 years and requires maybe 2 battery swaps in its lifetime. What would change my mind? A killer app of some sort. I can imagine two one: if the NFC payments become truly ubiquitous - you could wave your watch without even fishing out your phone -- add that to transportation and I'm in. Two: having a job the requires you to be really frequently on call. The watch would be the best way to get notifications - you wouldn't miss them and they could be very unobtrusive in situations where even a vibrating phone can be a taboo distraction.

One potential obstacle - I wear my watch on the inside of the wrist -- wonder if that will screw up all the motion based wake/sleep stuff?
I would be surprised if u can to get out ur phone to pay w/ur watch. Why would u when u have a display on ur watch that picks up from ur phone? U should b able to scroll thru ur cards (if u have multiple cards) right on the watch.

Success w/travel will depend on TSA and airlines. I've tried to use my phone the it is often tricky. But the issue is on the receiving side. The cameras/readers just to work that well. Now if they use the NFC, that would b sweet.

Home Theater Build
Old 09-11-14, 04:49 PM   #131
Time Lord

Apple Watch is designed to work with Apple Pay, it has NFC in it.
Old 09-11-14, 06:02 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Apple Watch is designed to work with Apple Pay, it has NFC in it.
Yes, but I was responding to a note that even w/that u might have to get out your phone. Which I poorly tried to say made no sense. My belief is u can pay with ur watch (since it has NFC) and make any wanted or needed selections right on the watch.

Home Theater Build
Old 09-11-14, 07:01 PM   #133
Time Lord

Yes, I think the watch will be what you swipe at the POS. However, it will have to be connected to (in communication) with your phone in order to work, so you couldn't leave your phone at home and expect to pay with the watch, but you shouldn't have to take your phone out of your pocket to pay if you have the watch.
Old 09-12-14, 02:40 AM   #134
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Absolutely not. It's a hideo watch that can't do anything without an iPhone. And the features they actually showed looks completely silly and useless. Wake me when smartwatches become watch first, extension of phone second.

Last edited by Gunde; 09-12-14 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 02:58 AM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

I'll admit I'm partial to most Apple products, but this isn't for me. I also dislike the fact that you need an iPhone for it to be a functional piece of technology. I suspect this to be a fad.

Wish they would've unveiled the Apple TV set instead. I've been waiting for that for what feels like years.
Old 09-12-14, 05:22 AM   #136
Time Lord

I don't see why people want an Apple TV set. Isn't an Apple TV box more versatile, in that it can be used with any TV or display you like? I know Apple makes great products, but is their TV going to be significantly better than my Panasonic plasma, and at a price point that's enticing? I doubt it.
Old 09-12-14, 07:46 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I'll admit I'm partial to most Apple products, but this isn't for me. I also dislike the fact that you need an iPhone for it to be a functional piece of technology. I suspect this to be a fad
You might want to Google for 2010 posts about the iFad, what the naysayers called the iPad aka the "oversized iPod Touch".

The reason you need an iPhone is because if they stuck a LTE radio in the Apple Watch, the battery will last about 3 hours. As cellular and battery tech improve, stand alone smart-watches will become possible, making them that much more popular. More popular in the future <> fad.
Old 09-12-14, 07:54 AM   #138

Quote:
I don't see why people want an Apple TV set. Isn't an Apple TV box more versatile, in that it can be used with any TV or display you like? I know Apple makes great products, but is their TV going to be significantly better than my Panasonic plasma, and at a price point that's enticing? I doubt it.
Your Panasonic plasma may be fantastic, but the doesn't help anyone else, because Panasonic doesn't make plasmas anymore.

The reason people want an Apple HDTV is because for a TV right out of the box calibration and UI are both broken. If you buy a retina MacBook Pro, or an Apple Cinema Display you don't need to go into some crazy menus to make them look decent -- they look perfect and appear color accurate right out of the box. My Toshiba HDTV has a dozen input modes, 6 picture modes, a remote with endless amount of keys, etc. etc. An Apple HDTV would eliminate all of that junk.

Many people will not care and will keep buying conventional HDTVs. Some will be infinitely happy with a zero setup, zero headache Apple version.

Last edited by Ted Todorov; 09-12-14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 08:01 AM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Your Panasonic plasma may be fantastic, but the doesn't help anyone else, because Panasonic doesn't make plasmas anymore.

The reason people want an Apple HDTV is the because TV out of the box calibration and UI are both broken. If you buy a retina MacBook Pro, or an Apple Cinema Display you don't need to go into some crazy menus to make them look decent -- they look perfect and appear color accurate right out of the box. My Toshiba HDTV has a dozen input modes, 6 picture modes, a remote with endless amount of keys, etc. etc. An Apple HDTV would eliminate all of that junk.

Many people will not care and will keep buying conventional HDTVs. Some will be infinitely happy with a zero setup, zero headache Apple version.
Those are the same people who are also happy with a reduced color gamut, and buying a new Apple HDTV every 3 years because the newest version of the operating system isn't compatible with their model. Not to mention the others who will camp out every year to buy the latest model.
Old 09-12-14, 08:22 AM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

I think it very unlikely an aTV would have no settings. TV's require different settings for different environments, sources and taste. Easy example, I use two main modes on my projector, movie and sports. While I have many differences between them, the main one is brightness.

Is there as sourse or link that says the aTV would have no settings? Why would you think it wouldn't? iPhones and iPads have settings. I don't have a Mac, but surely there are settings for brightness, contrast and color?!

Home Theater Build
Old 09-12-14, 08:43 AM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I don't see why people want an Apple TV set.
Me neither.
Old 09-12-14, 08:45 AM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

No. I can't stand the feeling of a watch.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 09-12-14, 11:34 AM   #143
DVD Talk God

Quote:

The reason people want an Apple HDTV is because for a TV right out of the box calibration and UI are both broken. If you buy a retina MacBook Pro, or an Apple Cinema Display you don't need to go into some crazy menus to make them look decent -- they look perfect and appear color accurate right out of the box. My Toshiba HDTV has a dozen input modes, 6 picture modes, a remote with endless amount of keys, etc. etc. An Apple HDTV would eliminate all of that junk.

John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-12-14, 11:47 AM   #144
DVD Talk Godfather

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-12-14, 11:50 AM   #145
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

They might want them, but they won't get them. Television margins are tiny, and the replacement cycle is long. It's not a business that Apple is interested in.
Old 09-12-14, 12:27 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You might want to Google for 2010 posts about the iFad, what the naysayers called the iPad aka the "oversized iPod Touch."

So this is what people mean by Apple fanboys. I wasn't calling the iTime specifically a fad. This smart watch crap certainly is, though.
Old 09-12-14, 02:31 PM   #147
Time Lord

Quote:

I'm confused as to who that would be for. People who don't know or care about calibration won't bother, and people who do care already adjust their settings. Besides, the point of calibration is to make each display look the best for the room and lighting conditions it's in. By definition Apple couldn't sell a no setup TV that would actually look good in enough real world use cases to justify it.
Old 09-12-14, 03:38 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Perfect.

Reminds me of someone at work who always mocked me for having a phone with a 5" screen (Nexus 5) saying that it's way too big. He pre-ordered the iPhone 6 Plus. Suddenly the size isn't an issue.
Old 09-12-14, 05:49 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

So it seems the aWatch can replace both a fitness daily tracker (like Fitbit, Nike Fuelband) and an exercise devise like a GPS watch (Garmin, etc). And of course it can tell speed, distance and route (like a GPS watch). And combine the data. I didn't realize it would combine the data. Very cool.

http://mobihealthnews.com/36396/long...but-not-sleep/

Now it doesn't track sleep (like some fitbits) but I wonder if that might be a software upgrade later on. Tho might be a bit big to sleep with. And likely need nightly charging.

Home Theater Build
Old 09-12-14, 08:29 PM   #150

The gadget freaks will buy the watch. After about two months the novelty will be gone, and the watch will find its way to the sock drawer.

Apple would sell more of them if they cost $1000 or more. The "I have to outdo everyone else" crowd will rush to buy them. People are willing to pay $500 for sneakers that cost about $30 to manufacture. They are willing to pay $400 to but Beats Studio that cost about $25 to manufacture. It is reasonable that they will pay $1000 for a watch that cost, at most $110 to manufacture.

I live in Asia. I have been to many Chinese factories. I have seen the bill of materials on many of the things you buy.

My Karma just ran over your Dogma!