DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-09-14, 11:22 PM   #76
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

I am no Apple hater but LOL ... you need a watch (a smartphone) to use this watch

ps. I heard for the first time today people with Google Glass are referred to as glassholes
that is awsome
Old 09-09-14, 11:24 PM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I don't disagree with that either, Samsung and LG watches look like those calculator watches from the 80s, the iWatch looks like something created from 50s scifi cheese. Moto 360 is on to something but obviously isn't ready for prime time, and won't be for several iterations.

In otherwords, smartwatches are still in the R&D phase, but these companies needed to start pulling some cash to justify their continued existence.
I don't disagree much with that either, but I do have to say that I like 50's scifi cheese .

My perception is that the new Watch is very much like the original iPhone, design-wise, and I think that's a good thing. I showed the photos and videos to some friends tonight, and the husband (an iPhone user) is already planning to buy one. The wife (and Android user) was showing serious watch envy .
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 09-10-14, 01:33 AM   #78
Time Lord

That's the thing about watches, everyone's taste is different. I've seen people hailing the Apple Watch as either a beautiful design and a piece of trash all day. I think it looks rather like Dick Tracy's wristwatch. At $150 I'd buy one just for the hell of it. At $350 I'll be fine without one until Apple shows me something that I feel I just can't live without.

And I don't see how this isn't wireless charging. There are no wires going from the base to the device. You can still "drop" it on the base, it'll just clamp there because it's magnetic. The Moto 360 has to be slotted into its base. Is that not wireless either?
Old 09-10-14, 03:48 AM   #79
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First it will just be called the iWatch and nope.

Now THIS is the item that needs to be super thin and its a mini brick.
Old 09-10-14, 04:47 AM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
That's the thing about watches, everyone's taste is different. I've seen people hailing the Apple Watch as either a beautiful design and a piece of trash all day. I think it looks rather like Dick Tracy's wristwatch. At $150 I'd buy one just for the hell of it. At $350 I'll be fine without one until Apple shows me something that I feel I just can't live without.

?
This is the thing for me. It DOES something I really want, have been looking for and be useful.

I strap my phone to my arm 6 days a week for running and lifting. I hate that I can't see the display or easily change the song (when I try I usually end up hitting pause or turning off my Nike Plus app). I've considering switching to the Nike plus GPS watch (so I can see the display) and switching to a small iPod. But I'm not impressed w/the smaller iPods and I don't like having that many devices. One of the big benefits of using the smartphone is data collection and comparison. All in one mobile place.

If all the watch did was display my running information (time, distance and speed) and allow me to change songs, I'd likely buy it. The Nike GPS watch is $150, and a decent Garmin is $250.

My only concern is will it hold up to sweat and moisture as well as the phone? Assuming the AppleCare Plus is $99, $450-$500 is getting up there. But again, many runners pay close to that for a dedicated sport gps watch

Home Theater Build

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-10-14 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-10-14, 07:25 AM   #81

I am 48, and "old school". I have a collection of mechanical (spring driven) watches. I wear my Rolex daily. I refuse to own a battery powered watch. My skin somehow reacts, and the watch will not last six months. There is no logical explanation. Some of us cannot wear electronic watches.

My Karma just ran over your Dogma!
Old 09-10-14, 07:52 AM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe.

When it is released and I can see it, touch it and understand it, I will decide.
Old 09-10-14, 08:12 AM   #83
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
This is the thing for me. It DOES something I really want, have been looking for and be useful.

I strap my phone to my arm 6 days a week for running and lifting. I hate that I can't see the display or easily change the song (when I try I usually end up hitting pause or turning off my Nike Plus app). I've considering switching to the Nike plus GPS watch (so I can see the display) and switching to a small iPod. But I'm not impressed w/the smaller iPods and I don't like having that many devices. One of the big benefits of using the smartphone is data collection and comparison. All in one mobile place.

If all the watch did was display my running information (time, distance and speed) and allow me to change songs, I'd likely buy it. The Nike GPS watch is $150, and a decent Garmin is $250.

My only concern is will it hold up to sweat and moisture as well as the phone? Assuming the AppleCare Plus is $99, $450-$500 is getting up there. But again, many runners pay close to that for a dedicated sport gps watch
I jog with my iPhone currently, for music and GPS. If the Apple Watch could be used without the phone, with at least some on-board storage for music, and had its own GPS, then it would have fit me perfectly. But if it requires having the phone with me anyway to do what I want, then I don't really see a need for the watch (since I'm not really interested in "glanceable" information while I'm jogging).

So this version of Apple Watch really doesn't suit me, but I imagine as the technology evolves that Apple could easily come up with more variants that would come closer to what I'm looking for.
Old 09-10-14, 08:21 AM   #84
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is a picture of the watch charging. You can decide if it's wireless

http://pocketnow.com/2014/09/09/appl...g#!prettyPhoto

Old 09-10-14, 08:36 AM   #85
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, I've decided. It's wireless. Pretty obviously so, too.
My DVDs
Old 09-10-14, 08:53 AM   #86
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
I am no Apple hater but LOL ... you need a watch (a smartphone) to use this watch

ps. I heard for the first time today people with Google Glass are referred to as glassholes
that is awsome
Yeah, I've been an Apple user for a while. Loved iPod, iBook, iMac, iPhone, iPad. I've got them all.

This is the first time they've announced a new product that I think isn't very good. Price is too high, shouldn't require tethering to phone, and even the concept itself is going to be a tough sell. Had it been an iPhone in a watch, a self contained device, that would go a long way justifying the price tag. Instead they've positioned it as an accessory. I understand why, but it will take several product revisions before this could ever appeal to me, and I don't think it will ever have the broad appeal of the iPad/iPhone/iPod.

Honestly watching the conference, Apple has become kind of a parody of itself.

In terms of wearables, the Glass and similar devices are what I'm most excited for.
Old 09-10-14, 09:14 AM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
I jog with my iPhone currently, for music and GPS. If the Apple Watch could be used without the phone, with at least some on-board storage for music, and had its own GPS, then it would have fit me perfectly. But if it requires having the phone with me anyway to do what I want, then I don't really see a need for the watch (since I'm not really interested in "glanceable" information while I'm jogging).

So this version of Apple Watch really doesn't suit me, but I imagine as the technology evolves that Apple could easily come up with more variants that would come closer to what I'm looking for.
I would agree that as a "wish list" that it wouldn't require the phone. But I don't see that as a huge downside. I'd never run outside without a phone for safety reasons anyway. But speaking of safety, i typically ignore calls and text while I'm working out because it is so hard to see the phone in an armband. Receiving this on the watch is a nice feature as at a glance I can see who it is and if something important.

I often run outside at places I never have been. I can see being able to set this up to send you a gentle nudge on your arm as you reach certain distances or times. I use the Nike Plus GPS app for that now. I'll just take off and once I hit half way turn around and come back.

No, I don't think it is perfect. But I'll get one and enjoy it till a stand alone model comes out. This will also replace my Nike Fuel Band I still use.

Home Theater Build
Old 09-10-14, 09:19 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

The ability to keep my phone in my pocket and only have to glance at my wrist to see an incoming notification sounds cool.

Would I rather have that ability than $100? Sure.
Would I rather have that ability than $200? Probably. It would have to look pretty damn nice.
Would I rather have that ability than $300 or more? Nope.
Old 09-10-14, 11:13 AM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

As I said in the iPhone 6 thread, I have a Pebble and I love it, but the Apple Watch seems to do everything that does and more. I have my phone with me at all times so I don't care if it's tethered, the interface looks cool, I'll also use it while exercising and it's got a lot of neat little features. The cost is fine for what you are getting. I'm in!
Old 09-10-14, 12:26 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

Technologically speaking I was disappointed, so I'm not getting the first version.

Yeah, I need to be able to use the fitness tasks without a phone.

I will wait for Nike+, to see how it's integrated. Sadly I think Nike won't release new versions of its watch anymore.
Old 09-10-14, 12:37 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
OK, I've decided. It's wireless. Pretty obviously so, too.
You seem to have an odd definition of wireless. There's a wire attached to the phone. The fact that it doesn't go into a hole in the phone doesn't make it wireless. Wireless means separate from the charging source. This is connected.
Old 09-10-14, 12:44 PM   #92
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
You seem to have an odd definition of wireless. There's a wire attached to the phone. The fact that it doesn't go into a hole in the phone doesn't make it wireless. Wireless means separate from the charging source. This is connected.
You keep saying phone, which I assume you mean watch. The wire is attached to the charger, as far as I can tell, which is basically the same concept with other wireless charging pads that have to connect to a power source somewhere. They said it uses inductive charging, which is wireless. It's not any different from dropping a Qi enabled phone on a charging pad, just on a smaller scale. At least from what I can tell.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-10-14, 04:34 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
You keep saying phone, which I assume you mean watch. The wire is attached to the charger, as far as I can tell, which is basically the same concept with other wireless charging pads that have to connect to a power source somewhere. They said it uses inductive charging, which is wireless. It's not any different from dropping a Qi enabled phone on a charging pad, just on a smaller scale. At least from what I can tell.
There is a very slight difference... the inductive charger pad must be attached to the watch as opposed to simply placing it on a pad. The latter being no different than placing a conventional watch on a nightstand.

It's quite possible that by the time the aWatch ships it will have that kind of charger.
Old 09-10-14, 04:38 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Yeah, I've been an Apple user for a while. Loved iPod, iBook, iMac, iPhone, iPad. I've got them all.

This is the first time they've announced a new product that I think isn't very good.

- Demetri Martin
Old 09-10-14, 04:42 PM   #95
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
There is a very slight difference... the inductive charger pad must be attached to the watch as opposed to simply placing it on a pad. The latter being no different than placing a conventional watch on a nightstand.

It's quite possible that by the time the aWatch ships it will have that kind of charger.
True, although to be fair some early Qi chargers were picky about placement and positioning too. But yeah, it's wireless but not really any more convenient. I wonder if it's harder with the Watch anyway given the form factor with the wrist bands to be able to lay flat so that the back can make the right contact with a charger, hence the magnet.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-10-14, 04:58 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Technologically speaking I was disappointed, so I'm not getting the first version.

Yeah, I need to be able to use the fitness tasks without a phone.

I will wait for Nike+, to see how it's integrated. Sadly I think Nike won't release new versions of its watch anymore.
I bet the Nike+ GPS will be pretty integrated. They already do a good job w/the phone.

Home Theater Build
Old 09-10-14, 09:41 PM   #97
Time Lord

Here's a good analysis from someone who writes about mechanical watches: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinke...e-watch-review

Ultimately he think it's a cool device but fails as a watch, and won't replace mechanical watches for people who are fashion conscious or who appreciate watches as things of beauty as opposed to just utilitarian devices. He does think the Apple Watch will prove to be a serious contender to the sub-$1,000 watch market, as he considers it best in class for build quality and materials and argues that the $350 starting price is very good for what Apple is giving you.

Personally, I do wear watches but most of the time it's for function and not form. I have a Timex Ironman and I also have two mechanical watches I wear if I want to be a little less casual, but even those are sub-$200 devices. I'll be curious to see how the Apple Watch fares this year, and if it has a good reception, I could see myself getting an Apple Watch 2 the next go around.
Old 09-10-14, 10:41 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in. I don't want to have to charge it every day but I do with my phone anyways so that isn't a deal breaker. The built in NFC feature means I can still use my 5S phone and don't need the 6 or 6+ until my next upgrade. My Pebble is going strong but next spring it will be replaced by this new watch.
Old 09-11-14, 12:54 AM   #99
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Show me a wireless charging base that doesn't have a wire coming out of it connected to power.

Also, unless your phone/watch hovers in the air over your charging base, well guess what? It's connected.

Wireless means no wire connected to a plug inside the device.
My DVDs
Old 09-11-14, 05:02 AM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Here's a good analysis from someone who writes about mechanical watches: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinke...e-watch-review

Ultimately he think it's a cool device but fails as a watch, and won't replace mechanical watches for people who are fashion conscious or who appreciate watches as things of beauty as opposed to just utilitarian devices. He does think the Apple Watch will prove to be a serious contender to the sub-$1,000 watch market, as he considers it best in class for build quality and materials and argues that the $350 starting price is very good for what Apple is giving you.

Personally, I do wear watches but most of the time it's for function and not form. I have a Timex Ironman and I also have two mechanical watches I wear if I want to be a little less casual, but even those are sub-$200 devices. I'll be curious to see how the Apple Watch fares this year, and if it has a good reception, I could see myself getting an Apple Watch 2 the next go around.
I wear a watch as well. I have several Michael Kors watches (made by Fosil). I wear them as accessories. But I'll get the AppleWatch. More useful especially for fitness. And just rotate my other watches in as I want for that day or night.

Home Theater Build