DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-09-14, 07:40 PM   #51
DVD Talk God

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

the fact that they haven't revealed how long the battery will last is very telling.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-09-14, 07:49 PM   #52
Time Lord

I suspect they're doing everything they can to boost battery life in the wake of the 360 getting nailed for its poor battery showing.
Old 09-09-14, 08:14 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

I'll get the sport version. I've been looking at $250 GPS watches, the AppleWatch is a no brainier.

Home Theater Build
Old 09-09-14, 08:28 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Not impressed. I expect this to be a big failure.

I haven't heard much at all about the Google Glass.
Old 09-09-14, 08:32 PM   #55
DVD Talk Godfather

It seems out of the ordinary for Apple to announce a product and not release it for months. But yeah, I imagine they didn't mention battery life because it's still a while before release and they're doing what they can for it.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but given the discussion and speculation earlier in this thread I'd say the announcement itself didn't really change my mind as far as needing a smartwatch. And not pretty enough for my fiancee to want one to wear everyday. It doesn't appear to have a killer must have feature, although i'm impressed by the usability that they demo'd.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-09-14, 08:52 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Ugly, over-priced, useless.

Unlike the iPhone and iPad, there's really no 'cool' factor that goes with this. It looks like a nano with a wristband.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-09-14, 09:21 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. I have a Pebble which half works and it really improves my daily tasks. I'll buy the $350 model on day 1.
Old 09-09-14, 09:23 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It seems out of the ordinary for Apple to announce a product and not release it for months.
Apple did the same thing with the iPhone and iPad. Announced and released months later. Seems to be normal for new product lines.
Old 09-09-14, 09:24 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I haven't heard much at all about the Google Glass.
Hate to be that Apple guy, but everyone said the same ting about the phone and tablet. And now....
Old 09-09-14, 09:37 PM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
You may be wrong. I just showed the photo spread from The Verge to my wife, and her reaction was "Ooo, pretty! When can I buy one?"
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 09-09-14, 09:38 PM   #61
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haven't we learned not to doom a new apple product?

This thing will sell like crazy

I hate watches and even i want one
Old 09-09-14, 09:40 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

I think it'll make a boatload of money, I just don't think it's worth the money, and don't like its look.
Old 09-09-14, 09:44 PM   #63
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm wondering if they will release a new model every year

I won't be buying one until a few versions into it
Old 09-09-14, 09:45 PM   #64
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I think it'll make a boatload of money, I just don't think it's worth the money, and don't like its look.
Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes, as they say. I think almost all of the Android Wear watches look like they were beaten with an ugly stick. And I just can't get past the dead zone on the bottom of the round versions.
My DVDs
Old 09-09-14, 09:49 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes, as they say. I think almost all of the Android Wear watches look like they were beaten with an ugly stick. And I just can't get past the dead zone on the bottom of the round versions.
I don't disagree with that either, Samsung and LG watches look like those calculator watches from the 80s, the iWatch looks like something created from 50s scifi cheese. Moto 360 is on to something but obviously isn't ready for prime time, and won't be for several iterations.

In otherwords, smartwatches are still in the R&D phase, but these companies needed to start pulling some cash to justify their continued existence.
Old 09-09-14, 09:51 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

It's a nice device but as odd as it sounds, an iPod nano 6th gen is closer to what I need. After the announcement, I purchased a near mint 8gb silver iPod nano and a Lunatik aluminum wristband for less than $100.
Old 09-09-14, 10:03 PM   #67
Time Lord

There's also a huge difference between Google Glass and the Apple Watch. Several differences, actually. For one thing, Glass is a beta product that only this past week became available to the public. It has limited third party support and requires an intrusive addition to your face. People are very sensitive about things that change faces (look at the reaction people have to a face tattoo versus an arm tattoo, or the reaction you feel when someone you've known for a long time as a glasses wearer switches to contacts for the first time). It costs $1,500 and there have been questions raised about privacy and security around it.

The Apple Watch is $350, will be available as a full commercial product with third party support, replaces an accessory that people are already used to seeing people wear, and raises no issues about security and privacy.

I think Apple missed a trick by not making an offer: $350 for a watch by itself, or $150 for the watch when you buy an iPhone 6/6+. This would draw in many of the people who were planning on upgrading to a 6 anyway, and might have drawn in some people who weren't planning on getting the 6 because it's a good bundle deal. This also locks more people into the ecosystem, which makes them more likely to buy future Apple products.
Old 09-09-14, 10:14 PM   #68
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do like the look, but other than the health apps, what else can this be practically be used for? Can someone elaborate on that aspect? I'm wondering those who plan on getting it, how they will plan on using it. I didn't think the drawing message thing was all that appealing.
Old 09-09-14, 10:16 PM   #69
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The way I see it, Apple (and all the other OEMs) have to convince me that smartwatches are something that will really improve my daily life. I think people have been burned after being sold $600+ tablets that they ultimately don't use all that often, so they're more gun shy about buying whatever the next thing the manufacturers are trying to push is, and on top of it, there's no obvious killer application for smartwatches. Yeah, get notifications on your wrist, we get that. But so what? Outside of the watch element, none of this works without your phone, which means it's basically an expensive ugly watch if you want to leave your phone at home for any reason (or forget your phone more likely).

Someone I talked to suggested that Apple may use the watch to provide the NFC for their payment system on phones older than the 6, which would be smart, but that's not going to be a solid selling point for very long. Standalone fitness trackers can be had much cheaper, so there needs to be something that the watch does that nothing else does that justifies the buy-in price, and then all of these other features become added value. And I've yet to see what that killer feature is.
Agreed.

I think Peter Bright at Ars summarized it best on Twitter. He was talking about the Moto 360 (and The Verge's absolutely ridiculous 8.1/10 score), but it pretty much applies across the board:
Quote:
"So here's how a watch that doesn't even last the full day will work. When it's new you'll make sure to keep it charged up. But then one day the battery will die and it just won't be convenient to charge it. And you'll forget to charge it that night. And then you will realize that the watch is a pointless thing. And never use it ever again."
Personally, I guess I'm just not that interested. Apple specifically said that an iPhone is required to use it. It will support 5, 5C, 5S, 6, and 6+. In other words, it's purely an accessory to the iPhone. That's not a bad thing, per se, but I don't think it'll convert many Android, WP8 (), or Blackberry () users to Apple. I guess that's not their goal. Based on the "Starting at $349" pricing, it's pretty clear that the 'high-end' models will be upwards of $1000 (from the screenshots, the cheapest ones will be the units with plastic bands and ugly material all around. I'm guessing the half-decent versions will really start at $600... which is nothing if you're a "watch" guy, I guess.) At the end of the day (sorry), it's jewellery. Apple knows this, which is why they're offering so much variation and customization.

All that said, I predict that they will sell just tens of millions of these, of course.
Old 09-09-14, 10:17 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and if there was ever a device that needs Qi Charging capability, this is it.
Old 09-09-14, 10:39 PM   #71
Time Lord

It will have wireless charging, not sure if it will be Qi compliant though.
Old 09-09-14, 10:41 PM   #72
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
It will have wireless charging, not sure if it will be Qi compliant though.
You sure? The info on the website says something like they "combined inductive charging with their mag-safe connector to make charging as easy as possible" but the picture clearly shows that the mag-safe thinger stuck to the inner-side of the watch.

edit: here it is:
Quote:
When it came to charging, we kept it simple.
As familiar as wearing a watch is, charging one is something new. So we decided to make it utterly effortless. In fact, our goal was to make Apple Watch easy to charge in the dark. Without looking. While being only partially awake. We arrived at a solution that combines our MagSafe technology with inductive charging. It’s a completely sealed system free of exposed contacts. And it’s very forgiving, requiring no precise alignment. You simply hold the connector near the back of the watch, where magnets cause it to snap into place automatically.
Old 09-09-14, 10:43 PM   #73
Time Lord

It's not connected to the inner-side of the watch, it's connected to the underside of the watch.

Edit: I see you found it. It's a wireless charging base that connects magnetically.
Old 09-09-14, 10:44 PM   #74
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

inner... under... tomato... potato. whatever. It's still connected.

I guess I consider "wireless" as, "drop it on this thing and it charges like magic." I don't think this qualifies, although it's using the same general technology.
Old 09-09-14, 11:21 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course it qualifies. The only thing the magnet does is prevent the watch from slipping off during a charge. There is no electrical connection via wires of any kind. In other words, WIRELESS charging.
My DVDs